NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

C'mon Ian there is about a million examples in history where a manager has come in and improved a team's fortunes.

And yet the research shows that most of the time it's a short term improvement only.

Is that not because there are a load of average managers about compared to the really good ones?

I guess you pays your money and you takes your choice.

I can see what Ian and "the positives" are thinking , whilst personally being more in the "pessimists" corner.

On paper the squad we have, the talent at our disposal, is more than enough to secure premiership status and survival. A half competent manager should easily be able to get that squad safe and maybe pushing the top half , say 12th and upwards (not anywhere near top 4 obvs)...

Given 2/3 or hey lets be totally optimistic 4, signings that we need, in the right postions and the top 7 upwards is a realistic shout (much nearer to top 4 as well imo).

The problem lies in not the lack of transfer activity, although that is frustrating enough, but in the lack of clarity and vision in it for me.

I have no faith in the ownership of our club. He wants out imo, and is merely treading water. I also am in the camp of he wants to make us, the fans hurt. he wants to pay us back for the insults, the acrimony and the general fact that a lot of us, maybe not the majority, but a sizeable minority want  him gone and do not care for him and his cronies one jot.

He will do just enough, just enough to try and protect our PL status, whilst clawing his dosh back. TBH thats all by the by.

The JK appointment is not just bizarre, its malicious imo: will it impact on the season?? Some say no, not onto the players and the team on the filed. Im not so sure.

How many of us are distarcetdby managerial changes and wranglings at work? How many of us take the foot off the pedal when a change is imminent or confusion reigns?? , hands up, I know I do. Will some of our players maybe be affected similarly? A bad start and the morale crashes??

The lack of vision in the transfer in of players in respect of team building is the heart of the on field problems.

Our manager is a poor one. I dont think hes capable of change, of learning from mistakes made last season, of the ultra negative approach being changed to a more free flowing and attack minded style.

I think hes limited. Couple his limitations with the disoragnised recruitment that appears to be pervaiding the club and its a potential car crash.

The cheapest option isn't always the right option.nor is it always the wrong option, imo we should be targetting players to enhance a particular style of play.

I know people mock Liverpool and Rodgers with his "project", but that kind of thing, in the long term, and if folllowed up on, is the way to go imo.

Having a plan, a long term vision and a particular style of play, getting the right players to fit the right postions, to get the right balance. Seems obvious. The right pegs for the right holes.

Whats the point of Bent for insatnce if we dont improve our supply from wide areas?

We arent "massivley f***ed". Thats a fair point.

But.... I can envisage a scenario wherbys given a poor start , given some rumblings and further "odd" or plain malicious decisions by our owner we could be in for a very tricky season.

I wouldnt bet against it.

Thanks George, good post.

I can envisage a tricky season as well, if we start really badly or get loads of injuries. But overall I'm of the view that this season is likely to be quite a bit better than last.

(I don't believe Ashley is doing anything to hurt the fans, he just doesn't care either way. But that's kind of a side discussion)

Most managers are deemed "average", there are few managers capable of making that significant, sustained improvement and that the quality of the players is the most significant factor.

There are also plenty of managers who do a shit job too though, with an average or good set of players. If the quality of players were the most significant factor then why would the team be doing so shit?

Guest neesy111

Mind blaming the manager for all of our failings last season is ridiculous.  There's quite a few players who I'd be happy not to see play for us again after last season.

Most managers are deemed "average", there are few managers capable of making that significant, sustained improvement and that the quality of the players is the most significant factor.

There are also plenty of managers who do a shit job too though, with an average or good set of players. If the quality of players were the most significant factor then why would the team be doing so shit?

No depth and players such as Simpson, Tiote, Perch and Jonas being regulars.

No depth with players like Simpson, Perch and Jonas being regulars.

Wasn't talking about us in particular, generally.

I can see what Ian and "the positives" are thinking , whilst personally being more in the "pessimists" corner.

On paper the squad we have, the talent at our disposal, is more than enough to secure premiership status and survival. A half competent manager should easily be able to get that squad safe and maybe pushing the top half , say 12th and upwards (not anywhere near top 4 obvs)...

Given 2/3 or hey lets be totally optimistic 4, signings that we need, in the right postions and the top 7 upwards is a realistic shout (much nearer to top 4 as well imo).

The problem lies in not the lack of transfer activity, although that is frustrating enough, but in the lack of clarity and vision in it for me.

I have no faith in the ownership of our club. He wants out imo, and is merely treading water. I also am in the camp of he wants to make us, the fans hurt. he wants to pay us back for the insults, the acrimony and the general fact that a lot of us, maybe not the majority, but a sizeable minority want  him gone and do not care for him and his cronies one jot.

He will do just enough, just enough to try and protect our PL status, whilst clawing his dosh back. TBH thats all by the by.

The JK appointment is not just bizarre, its malicious imo: will it impact on the season?? Some say no, not onto the players and the team on the filed. Im not so sure.

How many of us are distarcetdby managerial changes and wranglings at work? How many of us take the foot off the pedal when a change is imminent or confusion reigns?? , hands up, I know I do. Will some of our players maybe be affected similarly? A bad start and the morale crashes??

The lack of vision in the transfer in of players in respect of team building is the heart of the on field problems.

Our manager is a poor one. I dont think hes capable of change, of learning from mistakes made last season, of the ultra negative approach being changed to a more free flowing and attack minded style.

I think hes limited. Couple his limitations with the disoragnised recruitment that appears to be pervaiding the club and its a potential car crash.

The cheapest option isn't always the right option.nor is it always the wrong option, imo we should be targetting players to enhance a particular style of play.

I know people mock Liverpool and Rodgers with his "project", but that kind of thing, in the long term, and if folllowed up on, is the way to go imo.

Having a plan, a long term vision and a particular style of play, getting the right players to fit the right postions, to get the right balance. Seems obvious. The right pegs for the right holes.

Whats the point of Bent for insatnce if we dont improve our supply from wide areas?

But.... I can envisage a scenario wherbys given a poor start , given some rumblings and further "odd" or plain malicious decisions by our owner we could be in for a very tricky season.

This is a good post - sums up the whole situation perfectly.

The club will not improve until a) it gets an owner who is prepared to invest in it properly and

b) employs a proven or very promising manager with a good record.

May be some time happening....

don't agree that he wants out, if he did i honestly see no reason why he couldn't sell the club and recoup his investment no bother - if he tried

so the alternative theory is that he wants out but isn't willing to bother his arse to actually try to sell the club so he can get out

Guest bimpy474

No depth and players such as Simpson, Tiote, Perch and Jonas being regulars.

If we had depth (hypothetical i know) Tiote and Jonas would start anyway. Unfortunately they're players Pardew seems to trust and rate, some manager are like that at a few clubs. I guess we notice it more at ours as we follow us more closely.

This is a good post - sums up the whole situation perfectly.

The club will not improve until a) it gets an owner who is prepared to invest in it properly and

b) employs a proven or very promising manager with a good record.

May be some time happening....

Yeah excellent post

I can envisage a tricky season as well, if we start really badly or get loads of injuries. But overall I'm of the view that this season is likely to be quite a bit better than last.

(I don't believe Ashley is doing anything to hurt the fans, he just doesn't care either way. But that's kind of a side discussion)

I hope you are right obviously.

The thing that slightly, well more than slightly, worries me is the lack of clarity or planning that seems evident in our transfer startegy at the moment.

I havent seen much of this Gomis lad tbh. Bent more so and Remy to an extent...but they all appear different kind of forwards.

With Cisse staying, a big postive imo, then I would have thought we would have known what we want to supplimant him. its no use just randomly picking strikers out of thin air, or based on price ifwe havent a cohesive plan in place to enhance Cisse with the new signing.

For  instance. I wouldnt be going mental if the manager or powers signed Carlton Cole...now put the gun down and wait a bit!

Lets say Pardew simply said.."I know 442. I know how to use a big un and a little un up front. I know I want wingers to supply them. I know my limitations, and so Cole and a small nippy type of strike partner it is. I also am gonna sign a Beagrie type of winger to supply em"..

at least theres a plan. Maybe a very simple one!, but a kind of joined up thinking.

Instead we get Sissoko being mooted as number 10, Cisse out wide,  dear lord Ameobi out wide. Cabaye not deep enough (imo) and Tiote , well him on the pitch is bad enough for me.

I can get the Remy idea, if he is happy with movement out wide being expected from him.

I just worry we kinda just grab players without a thought of how we can utilise them.

I hope you are right obviously.

The thing that slightly, well more than slightly, worries me is the lack of clarity or planning that seems evident in our transfer startegy at the moment.

I havent seen much of this Gomis lad tbh. Bent more so and Remy to an extent...but they all appear different kind of forwards.

With Cisse staying, a big postive imo, then I would have thought we would have known what we want to supplimant him. its no use just randomly picking strikers out of thin air, or based on price ifwe havent a cohesive plan in place to enhance Cisse with the new signing.

For  instance. I wouldnt be going mental if the manager or powers signed Carlton Cole...now put the gun down and wait a bit!

Lets say Pardew simply said.."I know 442. I know how to use a big un and a little un up front. I know I want wingers to supply them. I know my limitations, and so Cole and a small nippy type of strike partner it is. I also am gonna sign a Beagrie type of winger to supply em"..

at least theres a plan. Maybe a very simple one!, but a kind of joined up thinking.

Instead we get Sissoko being mooted as number 10, Cisse out wide,  dear lord Ameobi out wide. Cabaye not deep enough (imo) and Tiote , well him on the pitch is bad enough for me.

I can get the Remy idea, if he is happy with movement out wide being expected from him.

I just worry we kinda just grab players without a thought of how we can utilise them.

The managers apparent inability to utilise players properly and set the team up correctly is a major concern for me. He looked like a rabbit in head lights for mot of last season. A few bad results could see him press on with his panic defensive hoof ball and then the season really is thrown under a bus.

"He looked like a rabbit in head lights for most of last season"

Good description.

We have all probably been out of our depth at some point. Its tough to admit it at the time as well, and tough to ask for advice or assistance as well.

Reverting to what you know, your comfort zone as it were: we all do it. I can see the same again...potentially.

The managers apparent inability to utilise players properly and set the team up correctly is a major concern for me. He looked like a rabbit in head lights for mot of last season. A few bad results could see him press on with his panic defensive hoof ball and then the season really is thrown under a bus.

agree with this 100%, i see what George Bailey is saying about a strategic approach to players and signing the players who would fit his system but pardew is perhaps the only person on this planet who could take the group of players we have and think that rigid, defensive hoofball is the way to succeed

Guest bimpy474

Ignoring the Man City first up, with our opening half a dozen fixtures if we dont start well i'd be fucking worried.

Guest neesy111

If we really dont make any additions and we have a bad start i can see people getting on pardews and ashleys back early on.

People are already on their backs.

Guest bimpy474

Ignoring the Man City first up, with our opening half a dozen fixtures if we dont start well i'd be fucking worried.

Same. Think we need to accept we'll get footballing abuse from Man City. Anything less is a bonus.

I want us to have a go, not be ultra defensive and still get beat 4-0, which i fear will be outcome.

Same. Think we need to accept we'll get footballing abuse from Man City. Anything less is a bonus.

I want us to have a go, not be ultra defensive and still get beat 4-0, which i fear will be outcome.

I want to see a spirited performance for sure, but whether that's staunch defence or fearless attacking I'm not sure. Don't suppose it matters either way, as long as the players take some encouragement from it.