NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Rio is a ball playing CB and he was quick he was the silk to Vidic's steel which is what my point was......

We have the silk in Coloccini whats the point in buying more silk in Vertonghen?

Also you kidding Kompany not quick? he's one of the fastest CB's around.

Also Vertonghen is'nt Williamson slow but he is too slow to go alongside Coloccini for me, as i already pointed out Coloccini needs a physical presence, who is a beast in the air, fast to go alongside him in my view.

Basically the steel to go alongside his silk.

Lucio had Samuel, Pique has Puyol, Rio had Vidic etc etc..... go through any great CB partnership there was always one who brought the ball out from the back( not necessarily have to dribble through midfield like Colo does  :smitten: ) and one who just stopped everything.

That's what you have with Douglas and Colo and what you wont get with Colo and Vertonghen.

Nothing against Vertonghen he's a fine player he's just not what we need imo wanting him smacks of "hey we are in Europe lets go after the biggest name we can ! "

Instead of finding players that will balance out and compliment the ones we already have.

There should be a site where we could compare pace stats...

You're looking for a stopper, I want a complete defender. We have different views on what we need and who can pull it off, because I don't really see Colo and Verthongen as too similar even though both can play with the ball in the feet.

That Aussie has said this about his trail:

I always wondered what it was like compared to Australia, but I didn't expect it to happen this early, so I'm just going to enjoy the experience," Good told the club's official website.

"It was organised through my manager. They saw me play, though I'm not sure if it was in the A-League or with the national team, but it just happened to come about.

"It's just a short trial. I'll just train and play games, and if they're happy, I'll hopefully get an offer, but if not, then I'll just enjoy the experience."

Good luck lad :thup:

Mole_Toonfan, that's a good post there and it pretty much sums up my feelings about the combinations one should have at CB. A brawn and brain partnership if you will (the aggressive, beast-like CB in tandem with the intelligent, highly technical CB). This is essentially why the Saylor-Colo partnership was an effective one, you had Colo's intelligence and fantastic reading of the game and then this was complemented by Saylor's aggression/determination. This type of combination is also why people (myself included) wanted Samba here.

Another example is that of the Rio-Campbell CB partnership in the 2002 World Cup. They complemented each other so well, Sol was the muscle and Rio was the tidy-playing CB (back when he was a formidable defender, arguably at his peak).

Not sure if Giggs but........

Mark Douglas ‏ @MsiDouglas

#thejournal 2mor: Krul talks Champ Lge&we reveal how Toon will be transformed by European football-along with 3 possible new targets. #nufc

I will be suprised if its nothing we dont already know but interesting none the less.

The three were paper based only i think. Anyone get a journal today?

#thejournal 2mor: Krul talks Champ Lge&we reveal how Toon will be transformed by European football-along with 3 possible new targets. #nufc

I will be suprised if its nothing we dont already know but interesting none the less.

Mark Douglas  @MsiDouglas

@LJH2402 It's in the paper fella. I'm suggesting Martin, Vertonghen, Hoilett... If Champs Lge is secured

@LJH2402 It's in the paper fella. I'm suggesting Martin, Vertonghen, Hoilett... If Champs Lge is secured

Interesting...... i do prefer Douglas to Vertonghen but all signings that would significantly strengthen us none the less.

I`m suggesting.

I can also do that.  :pilko:

Dunno if i could handle that excitement like.  :cheesy:

Personally i dont really care who we go for between Douglas, Vertonghen and Mbiwa, IF these even are our top targets.

Douglas would probably be the cheapest, Vertonghen/Mbiwa would probably cost €11-13M.

Get Douglas and use the extra and some more for Belhanda  :drool:

I`m suggesting.

I can also do that.  :pilko:

And he gets paid for it.

Does'nt M'biwa have that 5m release clause?

Read about this clause here, but IIRC their nutcase president mentioned that they want €14M for Mbiwa, not sure if it was quoted. Dunno if the clause exists, if it does, Mbiwa would be my choice.

We need at least 3 just for europa league tbh. If Guthrie goes in midfield he needs to be replaced too. I'd be happy with hoilett for backup creative player.

i'm not too keen on hoilett for us. don't think he has the "work ethic" we are looking for in the middle. got the talent but we need the package.

We need at least 3 just for europa league tbh. If Guthrie goes in midfield he needs to be replaced too. I'd be happy with hoilett for backup creative player.

i'm not too keen on hoilett for us. don't think he has the "work ethic" we are looking for in the middle. got the talent but we need the package.

Surely Hoilett would play out wide?

I appreciate the work ethic comment, but he really is a brilliant little player. I would quite happily take him irrespective of any perceived work ethic issues. Plus i think Pardew has instilled a fantastic discipline in the squad in regards to working hard. I would hope coming into a new, successful environment, he would buy into that.

Surely Hoilett would play out wide?

I appreciate the work ethic comment, but he really is a brilliant little player. I would quite happily take him irrespective of any perceived work ethic issues. Plus i think Pardew has instilled a fantastic discipline in the squad in regards to working hard. I would hope coming into a new, successful environment, he would buy into that.

i'm just not too convinced about him. fingers crossed for marveaux.