NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Pardew runs rule over £10m Ajax ace Vertonghen

by Lee Ryder, Evening ChronicleApr 16 2012Comments (3) Recommend (1)

NEWCASTLE United boss Alan Pardew made the most of his free weekend by running the rule over Ajax skipper Jan Vertonghen.

The Chronicle understands that Pardew jetted out to the Dutch capital yesterday lunchtime to check on the £10m-rated Vertonghen in Ajax’s 3-1 win over De Graafschap.

Pardew was in the stands at the magnificent Amsterdam ArenA as the famous former European Cup winners strengthened their grip at the top of the Eredivisie by six points – with Ajax potential Euro opponents for Newcastle next season.

Also on show was Vertonghen’s fellow Belgium international Toby Alderweireld, who could also be an option for the Magpies with the player open to a move away from Ajax.

United are also keen on FC Twente’s Brazilian-born defender Douglas - who has told his boss Steve McClaren he wants a move to the Premier League.

And an interesting summer is shaping up with Ajax also keen on the Tukkers’ centre-back.

But the capture of Vertonghen would be a major coup for Newcastle.

The player recently indicated he would prefer a move to Arsenal, but that doesn’t rule out United.

He said: “I have instructed my agent carefully. He knows which clubs I want to join and Arsenal are one of them.”

However, Arsene Wenger has other irons in the fire in terms of defensive targets and there is no guarantee that the 6ft 3in Belgian will get his move to the Emirates Stadium.

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has also scouted the player.

Vertonghen is believed to also have interest in Newcastle, and if Pardew gets the chance to use his powers of persuasion, it could eventually see a formidable centre-back pairing alongside Fabricio Coloccini.

Papiss Cisse and Davide Santon both admitted that the Toon boss had succeeded in selling the club to them.

The sighting of Pardew on scouting missions is usually a key sign when it comes to transfers.

Chief scout Graham Carr has an impeccable record for talent spotting, but Pardew gets the final say on deals.

Meanwhile, reports have again linked Chelsea to United keeper Tim Krul.

United will consider selling if they get the right type of offer, but the Chronicle understands that Chelsea would have to smash the British transfer record for a keeper to get Krul – in excess of the reported £17m Manchester United paid Atletico Madrid for David de Gea.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/04/16/pardew-runs-rule-over-10m-ajax-ace-vertonghen-72703-30766438/#ixzz1sCVEyEGV

Would be a stunning signing, i think. Very unlikely mind.

I think he will hold out for a move to Arsenal but its good to see Pards out there having a look, we need to agree a fee early then make him an offer, he rejects it we move on.

No pissing about hanging on for players to make their minds up.

I could "handle" him going to one of the big clubs in Europe i.e Munich, Milan, Real, Barca, perhaps even Man Utd (i'm sure most of these have good keepers), but i can't handle our best players moving to fucking Spurs or Liverpool, what a waste of time.

Mind you, i can't see any of our players moving to Liverpool for a while.  :lol:

I was told by a friend of Tim Krul's in 2009 that Chelsea had bid for him in January that year around about £2m. Joe Kinnear asked the board to accept the bid, but Dennis Wise arranged a meeting with Krul and his representatives to tell him that he has a bright future at Newcastle and advised him to stay. Krul agreed and Wise went to the board to tell them to reject bids from Chelsea and Feyenoord as he was a future number one, and if we decided to cash in we could get more money at a later date.

Do Arsenal really need Vertonghen? They might get rid of Mertesacker in the summer, maybe, but still.

Two of Arsenal's best players this year have been Vermaelen and Koscielny (sp) and they have just signed Mertesacker. I'd be suprised if they spent big money on another centre half.

I can see Liverpool and Spurs following every transfer we are interested in though.

Guest Roger Kint

I was told by a friend of Tim Krul's in 2009 that Chelsea had bid for him in January that year around about £2m. Joe Kinnear asked the board to accept the bid, but Dennis Wise arranged a meeting with Krul and his representatives to tell him that he has a bright future at Newcastle and advised him to stay. Krul agreed and Wise went to the board to tell them to reject bids from Chelsea and Feyenoord as he was a future number one, and if we decided to cash in we could get more money at a later date.

That was in every paper at the time tbh

I thought Wise tried to engineer the move to Feyenoord that summer and the board pulled it at the last minute to try and placate Keegan.

Do Arsenal really need Vertonghen? They might get rid of Mertesacker in the summer, maybe, but still.

Makes no sense yes he made some rickets but he was adjusting everyone does besides he made Arsenal alot stronger defensively whether people want to accept it or not.....

How many goals have Arsenal conceded from set pieces this season and goals in general for that matter compared to before he was signed?

Also Arsenal wont get rid of Mertesacker in any case its all complete b*llocks, the Vertonghen to Arsenal story is like Giroud to us its just the media bringing up old stories for money.

Also i dont want Vertonghen...... why? because there needs to be a balance in the defence we cant have two relatively slow defenders passing it out from the back and get raped in behind like we have been this season on occasion.

We need a fast, strong, athletic defender who is a beast in the air.

Give me Douglas any day over Vertonghen not because he's better but because he is better suited to being a Colo partner.

Plus he will cheaper.

Makes no sense yes he made some rickets but he was adjusting everyone does besides he made Arsenal alot stronger defensively whether people want to accept it or not.....

How many goals have Arsenal conceded from set pieces this season and goals in general for that matter compared to before he was signed?

Also Arsenal wont get rid of Mertesacker in any case its all complete b*llocks, the Vertonghen to Arsenal story is like Giroud to us its just the media bringing up old stories for money.

Also i dont want Vertonghen...... why? because there needs to be a balance in the defence we cant have two relatively slow defenders passing it out from the back and get raped in behind like we have been this season on occasion.

Give me Douglas any day over Vertonghen not because he's better but because he is better suited to being a Colo partner.

Plus he will cheaper.

Agreed. Also, Vertonghen will not want to come here, so this transfer saga is a non starter anyway.

FOX SPORTS FOOTBALL ‏ @FOX_FOOTBALL  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open

We're hearing Melbourne Heart's Curtis Good is off to the UK for a trial with EPL side Newcastle Utd. They're very keen on him. #foxfootball

Retweeted by Colin

19 year old CB

Plus he will cheaper.

Agreed. Also, Vertonghen will not want to come here, so this transfer saga is a non starter anyway.

He fkn will like if Pardew sits him down with our welcome bag and video package. He won't have a choice.

FOX SPORTS FOOTBALL ‏ @FOX_FOOTBALL  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open

We're hearing Melbourne Heart's Curtis Good is off to the UK for a trial with EPL side Newcastle Utd. They're very keen on him. #foxfootball

Retweeted by Colin

19 year old CB

Saw him play a few weeks ago in person .. lots of potential but could do with some Coloccini mentoring.