NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Not sure if Giggs but........

Mark Douglas ‏ @MsiDouglas

#thejournal 2mor: Krul talks Champ Lge&we reveal how Toon will be transformed by European football-along with 3 possible new targets. #nufc

I will be suprised if its nothing we dont already know but interesting none the less.

Vertonghen quick?  :2funny:

He is very good in the air, technically very good and great positional sense but he is not quick......

Colo and Vertonghen in a reasonably highline would be a recipe for disaster.

Vertonghen makes sense as a Colo replacement but not as a Colo partner.

Both M'Biwa and Douglas make more sense as a Colo partner because of the style of defenders they are.

We are trying to build a balanced team here not a team you build on football manager.

He's not Micah Richards, but he's not Williamson, hence he'll easily keep the level of say Kompany. Being a central defender is not necessarily all about speed, just look at Vidic.

It looks to me that you prefer Williamson over Verthongen, just because of the type of player? I mean, seriously, Williamson must be one of the slowest defenders in the league. How many times hasn't he been ran away from?

It's not just pure black and white imo. But everyone should have their own opinions, but I think your POV is way off.

Vertonghen quick?  :2funny:

He is very good in the air, technically very good and great positional sense but he is not quick......

Colo and Vertonghen in a reasonably highline would be a recipe for disaster.

Vertonghen makes sense as a Colo replacement but not as a Colo partner.

Both M'Biwa and Douglas make more sense as a Colo partner because of the style of defenders they are.

We are trying to build a balanced team here not a team you build on football manager.

He's not Micah Richards, but he's not Williamson, hence he'll easily keep the level of say Kompany. Being a central defender is not necessarily all about speed, just look at Vidic.

It looks to me that you prefer Williamson over Verthongen, just because of the type of player? I mean, seriously, Williamson must be one of the slowest defenders in the league. How many times hasn't he been ran away from?

It's not just pure black and white imo. But everyone should have their own opinions, but I think your POV is way off.

Eh? How on earth did you come to the conclusion he'd prefer Williamson?

Your right everyone should of thier own opinions and it seems people think iam trying to ram my thought down thier throat which isnt my attention and if you feel that way i apoligise......

But Vertonghen is nowhere near Kompany's level as far as speed goes......

Vertonghen isnt slow but he isnt that quick either or that strong either.

He's a typical ball playing Centre back with great passing and great positional sense..... remind you you of someone?

He's too similar to Coloccini for me and we caught in behind more often than we do this season.

Douglas fits the ball to me because he's great in the air, quick across the ground and almost impossible to beat in 1v1 situations because of his great physique combined with his pace and for this reason i think he will compliment Coloccini greatly.

Just like everywhere combination on the pitch at CB the combination must compliment each other and Vertonghen and Coloccini would not compliment each other because they are too similar.

If you look at all the great CB partnerships they are usually vastly different from each other its not smart to have two CB's that are similar.

Also i dont get the Williamson comparison...... Douglas or M'biwa are not slow, they are not awful with the ball at thier feet and have greater positional sense than Williamson on top of Williamson being weaker too.

The only way Williamson compares is that he is very good in the air.

I prefer Douglas because he has all the trait's required to be a perfect Coloccini partner and for 5m too, where as Vertonghen doesnt IMO and he will cost alot more.

Guest magpie99

Ok, here is my take on things regarding the untapped resources here in Australia.

First of all, as a football nation, we are still in the developmental stage and football in this country up to 20 years ago, was mainly conditioned throughout schools and clubs in the country geared towards AFL, Rugby league and union.

However, with the concerted efforts of the SBS TV media and a large migration of european immgrants to the country, football started to grow. The success of the Austeralian national team in the last two world cups (success by means of qualifying and winning some games in the finals) has generated a much needed passion for the sport in this country.

Furthermore, the sport is becoming more and more evident in schools throughout the country due to the above reasons plus parents look upon soccer as a less dangerous sport for the kids to be involved in than AFL and rugby.

In Australia, there are more kids playing soccer now than AFL and the rugby codes and hence the flow on effect to clubs, institutes to the point where the adaptation of a fully professional A League 6 years ago allowed us to nurture many of our up and coming young players before they are scouted by europes big clubs.

The return to the A League of players such as Kewell, Emerton and probably in a couple of years, Schwarzer, Neill and Cahill only enhances the interest in football in this country further. The influx of quality coaches from europe also helps too and with their experience comng to this country, many quality football talents will appear in the future.

I see people on here talking about the various japanses players plying their trade in  europe like Honda and the lads in Germany and how many here would love these players at Newcastle. Well, maybe I should remind you that Australia is classified as number 1 in Asia, above Japan at present and like Japan, USA, South Korea and many of the African nations, we are a developing country for the sport and will provide some terrific talent in the years to come.

Your right everyone should of thier own opinions and it seems people think iam trying to ram my thought down thier throat which isnt my attention and if you feel that way i apoligise......

He's a typical ball playing Centre back with great passing and great positional sense..... remind you you of someone?

He's too similar to Coloccini for me and we caught in behind more often than we do this season.

Douglas fits the ball to me because he's great in the air, quick across the ground and almost impossible to beat in 1v1 situations because of his great physique combined with his pace and for this reason i think he will compliment Coloccini greatly.

Just like everywhere combination on the pitch at CB the combination must compliment each other and Vertonghen and Coloccini would not compliment each other because they are too similar.

If you look at all the great CB partnerships they are usually vastly different from each other its not smart to have two CB's that are similar.

Also i dont get the Williamson comparison...... Douglas or M'biwa are not slow, they are not awful with the ball at thier feet and have greater positional sense than Williamson on top of Williamson being weaker too.

I prefer Douglas because he has all the trait's required to be a perfect Coloccini partner and for 5m too, where as Vertonghen doesnt IMO and he will cost alot more.

Nah, I didn't feel that. It was basically the notion of alot of players being so much quicker than Verthongen, which I don't really agree on.

The discussion on ball playing and whatnot is OK, I can agree to a certain degree. However, without really knowing how it would play out I just can't seem to not want Verthongen while he's still available. Arsenal plays ball playing players all over the pitch basically, well besides Mertesacker and we all know how that worked out. Colo doesn't really run that much up the much compared to say Vermaelen, which I think would be what Verthongen might do.

What annoyed me was really the fact that it sounded like Verthongen was the last guy on this pic:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/28/article-2031042-0D9B04AC00000578-230_634x296.jpg

compared to m'Biwa, Douglas, Williamson (as it didn't seem that you thought we would upgrade buying Verthongen - might have misunderstood).

Another comparison could well go to say Man Utd defence, playing Rio and Vidic. None of which are ball playing, none of which are quick. Worked well now, didn't it?

But yeah, we would all appreciate someone with decent tactical positioning and some speed, although not that easy to come by. Kompany isn't really quick either, but it ofc. all depends on where you put your ruler.

Guest Tyson

Douglas: his potential, as a physical package, is very interesting. As a defensive line's destroyer (top man-marker) he could be the ideal foil for Collo.

The most interesting potential signing (purely in that destroyer role) since our failed bid for *Distin. *Elliot's injury played a part initially, but Distin was always a CB. Provided a much more intimidating presence (in the one-on-ones) than O'Brien, and had more of a football brain and generally looked more refined than Bramble.

It's conjecture of course, even with both Distin & Bramble on the books we still would've made a move for Woody. Acquiring the country's most gifted centre-half (at that price given Leeds' predicament, before our rivals even got a sniff) was too good an opportunity to knock back. Without applying the benefit of hindsight (ie. not taking into account Woody's later issues re-durability) and i know Woody elevated Bramble's performance level when paired with, but a Distin-Woody combination would've been the stuff of dreams.

that backheel to set N'zogbia up against Spurs  :fwap:

always have a soft spot for Big Dukes.

Without being pedantic, wasn't it duff? Or did he do it twice?

His on for duff in the last minute (or so) was mint.

Nah, I didn't feel that. It was basically the notion of alot of players being so much quicker than Verthongen, which I don't really agree on.

The discussion on ball playing and whatnot is OK, I can agree to a certain degree. However, without really knowing how it would play out I just can't seem to not want Verthongen while he's still available. Arsenal plays ball playing players all over the pitch basically, well besides Mertesacker and we all know how that worked out. Colo doesn't really run that much up the much compared to say Vermaelen, which I think would be what Verthongen might do.

What annoyed me was really the fact that it sounded like Verthongen was the last guy on this pic:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/28/article-2031042-0D9B04AC00000578-230_634x296.jpg

compared to m'Biwa, Douglas, Williamson (as it didn't seem that you thought we would upgrade buying Verthongen - might have misunderstood).

Another comparison could well go to say Man Utd defence, playing Rio and Vidic. None of which are ball playing, none of which are quick. Worked well now, didn't it?

But yeah, we would all appreciate someone with decent tactical positioning and some speed, although not that easy to come by. Kompany isn't really quick either, but it ofc. all depends on where you put your ruler.

Part of arsenal's problem was they had too many ball players and not enough people who dominate and would put their foot through it, hence buying Mertersacker when they should have bought Samba IMO. think point is balance, when some1 is saying a player is like Colo, theyr paying them a huge compliment but partnerships especially at CB need to bring best out in eachother - Williamson heading ability and colo's composure and positioning.

If it was a choice going into next season with Williamson I reckon most people would bring vertonghen in but saying as he'd prob spunk away alot of the budget I think Douglas would be a better fit as a player and cost, my opinion tho of course!

Also at Man U I think Rio was the ball player and Vidic the ball winner. rio had class balance and was excellent with the ball up until injuries took their toll a few years back, he has since bulked up to charge his game. He was the complete defender back in the day and the reason he cost 30m...he of course now turns like a bus on a side street!

that backheel to set N'zogbia up against Spurs  :fwap:

always have a soft spot for Big Dukes.

Without being pedantic, wasn't it duff? Or did he do it twice?

His on for duff in the last minute (or so) was mint.

Yeah that's right actually, N'Zogbia got the first. It was the backheel I remember more than the actual goal. :lol:

Part of arsenal's problem was they had too many ball players and not enough people who dominate and would put their foot through it, hence buying Mertersacker when they should have bought Samba IMO. think point is balance, when some1 is saying a player is like Colo, theyr paying them a huge compliment but partnerships especially at CB need to bring best out in eachother - Williamson heading ability and colo's composure and positioning.

If it was a choice going into next season with Williamson I reckon most people would bring vertonghen in but saying as he'd prob spunk away alot of the budget I think Douglas would be a better fit as a player and cost, my opinion tho of course!

Also at Man U I think Rio was the ball player and Vidic the ball winner. rio had class balance and was excellent with the ball up until injuries took their toll a few years back, he has since bulked up to charge his game. He was the complete defender back in the day and the reason he cost 30m...he of course now turns like a bus on a side street!

Well, as part of his response came to Verthongen being "slow" - the image of Williamson preferred was pictured. Hence the example. You're saying he's strong in air, yeah def. agree, but as we've seen with Mertesacker - PL isn't all about air balls. I'd actually jump out to say that I think Perch is a better defender - which in my eyes, actually is a kind of absurd statement, but makes the point.

I don't really think Rio can be stated as a ball playing defender compared to Colo and Verthongen, as I can't really recall him making any runs. But who is to say that Verthongen couldn't be that "complete" defender? Or maybe even Colo, yeah well besides the speed, but again I really can't see him being SO much slower than Rio or Vidic, even though people have the opinion of him being so.

Rio is a ball playing CB and he was quick he was the silk to Vidic's steel which is what my point was......

We have the silk in Coloccini whats the point in buying more silk in Vertonghen?

Also you kidding Kompany not quick? he's one of the fastest CB's around.

Also Vertonghen is'nt Williamson slow but he is too slow to go alongside Coloccini for me, as i already pointed out Coloccini needs a physical presence, who is a beast in the air, fast to go alongside him in my view.

Basically the steel to go alongside his silk.

Lucio had Samuel, Pique has Puyol, Rio had Vidic etc etc..... go through any great CB partnership there was always one who brought the ball out from the back( not necessarily have to dribble through midfield like Colo does  :smitten: ) and one who just stopped everything.

That's what you have with Douglas and Colo and what you wont get with Colo and Vertonghen.

Nothing against Vertonghen he's a fine player he's just not what we need imo wanting him smacks of "hey we are in Europe lets go after the biggest name we can ! "

Instead of finding players that will balance out and compliment the ones we already have.

That Aussie has said this about his trail:

I always wondered what it was like compared to Australia, but I didn't expect it to happen this early, so I'm just going to enjoy the experience," Good told the club's official website.

"It was organised through my manager. They saw me play, though I'm not sure if it was in the A-League or with the national team, but it just happened to come about.

"It's just a short trial. I'll just train and play games, and if they're happy, I'll hopefully get an offer, but if not, then I'll just enjoy the experience."

Not sure if Giggs but........

Mark Douglas ‏ @MsiDouglas

#thejournal 2mor: Krul talks Champ Lge&we reveal how Toon will be transformed by European football-along with 3 possible new targets. #nufc

I will be suprised if its nothing we dont already know but interesting none the less.

The three were paper based only i think. Anyone get a journal today?