NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Did we ever hear what happened with Koura who we had on trial? Or is it in limbo like most of our transfers have been this window?

He started for Le Mans three days ago in Ligue 2. Haven't read anything regarding a transfer to us though.

Meanwhile, the Chronicle can also reveal Newcastle have been offered Anita’s Ajax team-mate Gregory van der Wiel.

not sure if mentioned anywhere... isnt he a right back?

A right back aint he ? Thought he was off to Chelsea

He has plenty to say mind :lol:

"I now know the club's policy. It's become clear to me that Ajax just want to make money off me. That's why they're pressuring me. It's never a good thing when your club wants you to leave,"

“If you give Arjen the ball and he has two opponents in front of him, he'll still try and get past them. He's not the type of player to sacrifice himself for the wing-back and cut inside to create space for me, or tracks back to help me out when I'm dealing with two opponents. I was the one sacrificing myself for Arjen, and that's not something I'm used to. It was a bit frustrating how things went”

Meanwhile, the Chronicle can also reveal Newcastle have been offered Anita’s Ajax team-mate Gregory van der Wiel.

Yes he is, we would probably take them up on their offer if the Debuchy deal falls through.

Yes he is, we would probably take them up on their offer if the Debuchy deal falls through.

Would think he will end up at Milan if we get Debuchy, unless of course Chelsea do get him, he was heavily linked with them not so long ago.

Would think he will end up at Milan if we get Debuchy, unless of course Chelsea do get him, he was heavily linked with them not so long ago.

Not sure tbh, i think after his disastrous performance at the Euros a lot of the big clubs are taken a step back from pursuing him.

He definitely has talent, in possession and going forward but he hasn't really improved defensively since he broke in the national team.

A risk CL clubs are not likely take, but us with our seemingly damaged goods policy might very well take such a risk.

But that would only happen if Debuchy joined someone else.

Wasn't he horrible in the EC?

Its funny, all this talk of signing full backs reminds me of an article possibly in True Faith, talking about how we had done so well to get Enrique and Simpson for such low fees, and how its symptomatic of football worldwide, that full backs are massively undervalued.

Debuchy has been performing at a very high level for the past year atleast, and there is talk of him going for £5mil (yes Cabaye went for £4.4mil but...) yet if center backs have good seasons, youd be talking north of £10mil. Ofcourse, you could argue that full backs are more marginalised in terms of how much of the play they see, but they do equal near 20% of the starting lineup, and if used well they can affect the game significantly going forward and ofcourse back. Debuchy and Santon as a pairing would be amongst the very best in the league. Then again, i may be oversimplifying it like.

(Summary - full backs are well cheap)

It might have something to do with the fact fullbacks are not really respected in the same way as other positions across the board.

Which is a bit silly IMO, fullbacks are probably one of the most important position in the modern game as really good ones can act as extra midfielders to help with possession, build attacks and overall just provide an extra attacking outlet.

With Alves at Barca being the main example, i remember Guardiola mentioning at one point how he could change the system many times during any one game due to Alves being able to fulfill many different roles at once.

The overall difference to our possession and attack between Simpson and Raylor to Santon and Debuchy will be worth it's weight in gold.

It might have something to do with the fact fullbacks are not really respected in the same way as other positions across the board.

Which is a bit silly IMO, fullbacks are probably one of the most important position in the modern game as really good ones can act as extra midfielders to help with possession, build attacks and overall just provide an extra attacking outlet.

With Alves at Barca being the main example, i remember Guardiola mentioning at one point how he could change the system many times during any one game due to Alves being able to fulfill many different roles at once.

The overall difference to our possession and attack between Simpson and Raylor to Santon and Debuchy will be worth it's weight in gold.

i was going to use Alves and Maicon as examples but its kind of harsh on all other full backs  :lol:

It just strikes me as weird that any position on the pitch in this day and age is so undervalued. I think pre-Barca, it was similar with center-mids...the underrated Makalele etc. kinda bares this out. Barca have shown how center-mids can win games so maybe it just needs someone to show how full backs can win games...ill miss Raylor being in the team just a tiny bit mind unless "Mathieu Debuchy, over the wall" happens...

Was Willems wasn't it?

Actually I think it was both. But Willems is only 18 and kinda excused, vdW has been talked up a bit so I expected him to shine.

Was Willems wasn't it?

Actually I think it was both. But Willems is only 18 and kinda excused, vdW has been talked up a bit so I expected him to shine.

Willems played well in the EC. Van der Wiel was shite.

Tbh i've become very meh about the alleged Anita deal. Sure, you can never have too many good players, but we ain't heard anything about it for weeks and we're well covered in that position anyway. Cabaye, Tiote, Jonas, Marveaux, Abeid, Vuckic, Gosling, Bigi and Perch are all capable there. Even Raylor can fill in if we're doing the 4-3-3. If Ajax are after close to double-figures, i'm not surprised we've abandoned any interest.

Willems wasn't even that bad, he played decent for his age and id argue all 3 of the defenders along side him was worse.

I think he was ok the first match and bad the second, but not horrible. But he played in a defensive line-up where Heitinga is the star, so would be hard to shine.

Tbh i've become very meh about the alleged Anita deal. Sure, you can never have too many good players, but we ain't heard anything about it for weeks and we're well covered in that position anyway. Cabaye, Tiote, Jonas, Marveaux, Abeid, Vuckic, Gosling, Bigi and Perch are all capable there. Even Raylor can fill in if we're doing the 4-3-3. If Ajax are after close to double-figures, i'm not surprised we've abandoned any interest.

I don't think either Abeid or Bigi are good enough for the premier league, at the moment. Marveaux, Gosling and Vuckic play in different positions too. I think he would be brilliant for us.

I don't think either Abeid or Bigi are good enough for the premier league, at the moment. Marveaux, Gosling and Vuckic play in different positions too. I think he would be brilliant for us.

Plus he covers left back and right back.

Guest Realist

Sounds legit.  Just the kind of star signing needed to excite the fans.  Probably on very realistic wages coming from RM.

Well it depends what you're expecting from your fourth/fifth/sixth choices in a respective position. From what i've seen of the two of them (and i've seen Abeid more, obviously), they could hold their own providing they had some of the more seasoned players alongside them.