Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

You get the feeling he'll score a random f*** off 30 yarder at some point that you normally see from a full back once a season.

Was unlucky yesterday with his strike, hit it sweet as a nut, one of those where if it's either side of the keeper, it's in.

Still think he is lacking defensively on occasions but with Sissoko covering well infront of him and playing in a settled back 4 it seems to be coming less of an issue. Made some very good runs going forward yesterday too. Not sure where he was for their goal like, should be his area but I've only seen it back once when pissed.

Still think he is lacking defensively on occasions but with Sissoko covering well infront of him and playing in a settled back 4 it seems to be coming less of an issue. Made some very good runs going forward yesterday too. Not sure where he was for their goal like, should be his area but I've only seen it back once when p*ssed.

If you were being picky you could say for their goal that our entire defence got dragged over too much for the cross leading to their goal.

But that's about it really.

Still think he is lacking defensively on occasions but with Sissoko covering well infront of him and playing in a settled back 4 it seems to be coming less of an issue. Made some very good runs going forward yesterday too. Not sure where he was for their goal like, should be his area but I've only seen it back once when p*ssed.

Both he and Williamson completely missed headers in the box, while Sissoko never got back. The right side of the pitch was essentially vacated, tbh.

If you were being picky you could say for their goal that our entire defence got dragged over too much for the cross leading to their goal.

But that's about it really.

I was screaming at Sissoko for that, he was standing right beside Brunt then just stopped and didn't follow him as the cross was coming in. He totally switched off, had a mini rant at him for that. Made up for it with his goal though :lol:

His leap and heading is so good

It is and makes you wonder why he isn't in the box more often for corners etc etc.... could be a real danger from set pieces.

He's winning headers by the touchline against wingers. Williamson could do that all day long, but he's no real use in the opposition's box when he'll be marked and the timing and direction will need to be better.

That aside, I've been really impressed with Debuchy in the last 2 months and he deserves a lot of credit. Not the best defender but goes onto the pitch every game wanting to win and being prepared to do whatever it takes to win, whether that includes upsetting people or not. Same goes for Williamson. Shame that only goes for 2 defenders out of the 4.

Weird lapses of concentration today. He really had no idea what he was meant to be doing at times.

He doesn't know how to defend. Apparently he didn't have to do it in that Mickey Mouse sham of a league.

Says it all about France that he was getting a game a year back.

Below par today but he shouldn't become a scapegoat for our collective defensive failings, like when he was covering (rightly or wrongly) a gap created by our lack of organization for the first goal.

Difference is, he's poor every time he's tested.

It is and makes you wonder why he isn't in the box more often for corners etc etc.... could be a real danger from set pieces.

He's winning headers by the touchline against wingers. Williamson could do that all day long, but he's no real use in the opposition's box when he'll be marked and the timing and direction will need to be better.

That aside, I've been really impressed with Debuchy in the last months and he deserves a lot of credit. Not the best defender but goes onto the pitch every game wanting to win and being prepared to do whatever it takes to win, whether that includes upsetting people or not. Same goes for Williamson. Shame that only goes for 2 defenders out of the 4.

I get what your saying but at the same time he's still one of our best in the air and its madness to have him on the half way line on corners and such like IMO.

That aside, I've been really impressed with Debuchy in the last months and he deserves a lot of credit. Not the best defender but goes onto the pitch every game wanting to win and being prepared to do whatever it takes to win, whether that includes upsetting people or not. Same goes for Williamson. Shame that only goes for 2 defenders out of the 4.

I get what your saying but at the same time he's still one of our best in the air and its madness to have him on the half way line on corners and such like IMO.

Oh, absolutely. Tiote and Santon should be there and nobody else.

You usually pull your FBs back during corners to defend against any counter-attacking breaks as they are normally the ones with pace alongside their defensive abilities. Sure you can switch someone else in to do the job but I don't see who the alternatives are without compromising on needed pace and offensive ability on the corner.

Oh, absolutely. Tiote and Santon should be there and nobody else.

Hadn't thought of him. Might be an option considering he won't be able to try his famous long-range shots at the same time. :lol:

Any idea which two Man Utd pull back on corners as Evra seems to attack them often, Rafael presumably being one of them.

Debuchy should probably be the main guy on the edge of box trying to get any scraps for the volley.

I was absolutely over the moon we signed him and then began to question if he was really all-that, esp after City this season but he's proven his true quality each week. He's fantastic and I really enjoy and appreciate his desire and nastiness to his game. He's a fighter and shown a hell of a lot of pride since then.

All I will say is, I wish we could've brought in someone more solid defensively who could cope with Hatem in front of him. I know we've done well recently but we'll lose a lot points this season if Hatem's sitting on the bench when we need him out there getting us out of trouble.

All I will say is, I wish we could've brought in someone more solid defensively who could cope with Hatem in front of him. I know we've done well recently but we'll lose a lot points this season if Hatem's sitting on the bench when we need him out there getting us out of trouble.

There's something in this, but I don't think it's literally just a case of protecting Debuchy. It's just that in principle Pardew prefers the players that suit the more organised/hard working system.

I don't think that's really possible.

IMO the more effective route is to have a super attacking tandom down a flank that forces the opposition to think defensively about their opposing wide men. Think Baines/Pienaar or Cronaldo/Marcelo. I remember Vertoghnen a fantastic defender getting torn to shreds a couple times last season when AVB had Bale in the Cronaldo freedom. After a few weeks Bale went into superman mode but I don't think HBA has that ability.

Otherwise the FB is going to need a decent level of protection in the modern game. One of the reasons SAF liked Young and Valencia is that they are legitimately hard working.

SAF likes workhorses regardless of their position. Not the best example to single out Young and Valencia for this quality in helping out the FBs.

Protection can be afforded in other manners. Barca had a defensive FB the opposite of Dani Alves so there's always 3 defenders in a counter-attack. Busquets also drops back to help out too.

SAF likes workhorses regardless of their position. Not the best example to single out Young and Valencia for this quality in helping out the FBs.

Protection can be afforded in other manners. Barca had a defensive FB the opposite of Dani Alves so there's always 3 defenders in a counter-attack. Busquets also drops back to help out too.

They also have 70% possession. Most teams are so inferior they just want a respectable scoreline. We aren't in that position. Regardless Santon's not a stay at home FB anyway so that comparison doesn't work.

Also, we only really notice our own fullbacks in terms of getting exposed a couple of times a game and "needing protection". Unless you follow one of those other teams very closely I don't think you'll notice that sort of thing.

That's not true. A good number of goals are conceded from crosses by wingers and fullbacks.

They also have 70% possession. Most teams are so inferior they just want a respectable scoreline. We aren't in that position. Regardless Santon's not a stay at home FB anyway so that comparison doesn't work.

Man Utd does not have Barca-esque possession either and they still play with 2 attacking FBs. All you need is to have one of the FB staying back when the other is attacking. Or do you think only with hardworking wingers will any system work?