Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

Ah, that's sweet, helping mercenaries achieve their dreams. Thanks Mike.

You obviously don't know what mercenary means

I'd say 'Motivated solely by a desire for monetary or material gain' is about as suitable a description as could be found for the likes of Debuchy. Not that I blame the lad,  I'd completely take the piss out of a club like ourselves if I had no emotional attachment.

If Debuchy is a mercenary every player in the world is a mercenary

We can overnight become a club that ISN'T a stepping stone - that comes directly from the Owner, Chairman, and Manager. When they are committed openly and behind the scenes to winning and competing at the highest level, you don't get this stepping stone mentality that we've clearly become. You tell the player you are signing you expect him to sign a contract, compete at the highest level, prove his worth every match, and help the club win a trophy or build year-on to eventually win a trophy.  This doesn't happen when you tell the player he's coming here to make a little extra wedge, play well, and be sold on to a club of his chosing in the CL or some shit.

The only one I can think of recently is Remy when he went to QPR. They weren't even the stepping stone in the end.

Even he tried to make amends by coming here in the end. Only to realise that we have less ambition than QPR so he was right in choosing them all along.

• 5 months later...

I read a few days ago that he is talking about leaving Arsenal because he has lost his place in the French squad.

Even if we were seriously interested, I cannot believe for one moment he would entertain the idea of returning.

Can imagine Palace going for him (anything to keep Cabaye happy) but I don't know how good their right back is.

Guest antz1uk

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-transfers-media-watch-magpies-10195527#rlabs=4%20rt$sitewide%20p$2

Newcastle are keeping tabs on Mathieu Debuchy's situation at Arsenal, according to reportsl, and could line up a move for the defender in January

The Daily Star say Newcastle are considering a move to bring the France international back to Tyneside in January after struggling to break back into Arsene Wenger’s starting XI following a host of injuries.

Debuchy has featured just three times this season for the Gunners, with Hector Bellerin getting the nod at full-back, and reports suggest Ligue 1 sides Paris St Germain and Monaco are also keeping an eye on his situation.

Elsewhere, Alan Shearer says he is “still waiting” for Florian Thauvin to make an impact at Newcastle while the winger’s former Marseille team-mates, Andre Ayew and Dimitri Payet, have both taken the Premier League by storm.

Shearer said on BBC’s Match of the Day 2: “There’s [Ayew], there’s Payet and Thauvin who all left Marseille.

“Payet and Ayew have done very well, and we’re still waiting for Thauvin, aren’t we?”

Chronicle columnist Don Hutchison went through the highs and lows of Newcastle’s game against man City at the weekend – but the end result was not good.