Adam Campbell released

gbandit

He joined yesterday, it'd be surprising if he did go straight into the first 11 wouldn't it?

Bottom of League Two. If he can't crack that, it is indeed a surprise.

He may well do.  He probably hasn't even trained with them yet.

Sure thing. There's 3 more league games and 1 cup game. He'd get settled enough by the 5th game.

He joined yesterday, it'd be surprising if he did go straight into the first 11 wouldn't it?

Bottom of League Two. If he can't crack that, it is indeed a surprise.

He may well do.  He probably hasn't even trained with them yet.

Sure thing. There's 3 more league games and 1 cup game. He'd get settled enough by the 5th game.

Well maybe he'll actually get to train with them and play in the next 4 games and earn a longer loan.  Saying him not playing today shows anything is just crap.

I'll just note that I don't think Campbell will ever play for us again but I'm just saying using not starting today is just looking for complaint.

If his level is higher than League Two, they'd be desperate enough to give him a game.

• 4 weeks later...

We'll never know the inside story of what went wrong with him here but I don't think you can say that just because he ends up at a rubbish club that he would never have made it here regardless of what happened.

What Pardew will never realise is that is you truly want to bring youngsters through, you HAVE to play them even when they aren't at the level they need to be. If they never play, they'll never be 'ready' as he says.

Aarons has been lucky in that made an immediate impact (goals/assists wise). If he hadn't have done this he wouldn't be thought of as first team regular IMO. Let's hope they don't lose faith with Armstrong just because he doesn't score in a grand total of 90 minutes or something over the course of this season.

Seeing Campbell fall out of favour should never have been a surprise when you think that as well as Pardew he had to work with Wilie Donachie, a man who said this:

But because he is so small, he might have to wait until he’s 22 before becoming a first-team regular.

Maybe Campbell's just taking it easy for a couple of years until he's allowed in the first team...

I think Armstrong is a lot more talented than Campbell though.

Doesn't matter if he is or not, if he's not played he won't improve and won't reach his potential.

In terms of achievement, Campbell eclipses most all of our young players for a while now.

Doesn't matter if he is or not, if he's not played he won't improve and won't reach his potential.

In terms of achievement, Campbell eclipses most all of our young players for a while now.

Wat

Sameobi, Aarons and Dummett have all made the first team and Armstrong is pushing for a place.  Campbell's been on loan in Scotland and a few lower league teams in the north.

Wat

Sameobi, Aarons and Dummett have all made the first team and Armstrong is pushing for a place.  Campbell's been on loan in Scotland and a few lower league teams in the north.

I meant in terms of youth team achievements. I know Armstrong has got caps and goals for England youth team but Campbell was winning player of the tournament in every tournament he played for a bit and looked our young player with the most potential.

I don't think we really could afford to give TWO young striker enough play time for development, especially when there's Ayoze.

I got your point, that's why I was shouting for Vuckic a few years ago.  But this doesn't apply to Campbell imo.  Campbell failed mostly because he is "comparatively" not good enough, from the limited time on the pitch.  Armstrong's touch and football sense are a lot better and he deserves to get the limited play time left out by Cisse and Ayoze.  Campbell has to prove his value on loan - like Dummett - and if he failed, that's it.  This does not relate to whether Pardew is the manager or not.

Wat

I meant in terms of youth team achievements. I know Armstrong has got caps and goals for England youth team but Campbell was winning player of the tournament in every tournament he played for a bit and looked our young player with the most potential.

Aye, that's the point --- you believe Campbell has the most potential, I don't. I rate Ayoze and Armstrong higher for the same position.

I don't think we really could afford to give TWO young striker enough play time for development, especially when there's Ayoze.

I got your point, that's why I was shouting for Vuckic a few years ago.  But this doesn't apply to Campbell imo.  Campbell failed mostly because he is "comparatively" not good enough, from the limited time on the pitch.  Armstrong's touch and football sense are a lot better and he deserves to get the limited play time left out by Cisse and Ayoze.  Campbell has to prove his value on loan - like Dummett - and if he failed, that's it.  This does not relate to whether Pardew is the manager or not.

Campbell is two years older than Armstrong though. He should've been in the first team squad after the European season but he just dropped off the face of the earth. If he had been given chances to prove himself and hadn't made it I would say fair enough but he hasn't been given a chance IMO.

If he had proved himself on loan he probably would've been given more chances, true, but our loans seem terribly thought out to me. Campbell was strongly linked to Brighton for a loan a few years ago (not the sort of rumour that gets made up) but we ended up sending him to Carlisle and St Mirren, wtf. Most FL clubs are managed by dinosaurs, if your playing style suits a team playing football then you'll probably never succeed (see Vuckic as well).

There must be plenty of players who've done nowt on loan but still carved out decent PL careers. Carroll being on that springs to mind.