Alan Pardew

Dave

Its not just us under performing, other teams have figured us out a bit too. Man Utd playing a narrow diamond was just one example.

That and hoy it football may keep you up, but you go anywhere near the top with it. Last year we did but in no way was that just hoy it football, we mixed it up better. This season has been just smash it forward.

Revolting, horrible to watch and not football imo.

my biggest concern now is not that the opposition has found Pardew out,

im just really really worried that its our own players now that have found him out.

Guest reefatoon

Also at West Ham i may be wrong here but i'm pretty sure towards the end of his tenure that the owner was getting involved with first team affairs and undermining Pardew.

None the less it's way to early to be taking about this, does he need to up his game? without a doubt he doesn't have a clue tactically at the moment but he's obviously earned some time to sort it out.

im convinced the only way we can finish this season in any decent position, is if we go straight back to turgid football,  back to the defend deep, start cautious and catch teams on the break with direct play.

not saying its the best way.  But it's the only way Pardew knows how to do it.  He has shown that his great strength is organizing a team to defend and he does it well.

Are we not already playing this way?  Turgid football - Check, defend deep - check, start cautious - check.  It ain't working

"We're going through our first major rough patch of his tenure."

Result-wise that's true. Performance-wise, this is the more or less the norm.

I'm not saying it was fantastic but performance wise we was never this bad last season, except the Christmas and New Year period when we had a shit load of injuries and suspensions to deal with as well as AFCON.

We might have been direct but it was never this shit to be considered the "norm".

2011/12

Blackburn (h) 3-1 - Comfy as.

Stoke (a) 3-1 Very tough fixture, remarkable display. Bit nervy, but good comfort after we notched our third.

Man Utd (h) 3-0 We obviously didn't control the game, but we executed a game plan and contained them with reasonable comfort.

West Brom (a) 3-1 Weathered an early spell of pressure admirably, then HBADembaDemba destroyed them.

Liverpool (h) 2-0 Not easy tbh, barely made this list, but does - just.

Stoke (h) 3-0 Glorious

2012/13

Erm...

That's my recollection (cobbled together very hurriedly!) of good performances from last season where I thought we looked fluent and comfy for more or less 90 minutes. Six out of 48-odd Premiership games suggests our rut is more or less the norm.

I realise you may wish to include victories away to Swansea, maybe at home to Bolton etc - but not for me. :dontknow:

Edit: Aston Villa (a) 1-1 too... still don't know how we only got a point from that. Well, I do actually, we had no attacking plan other than Raylor cutting in from the left and putting in the same ineffective ball :lol: Nonetheless, we bossed them and had them pinned in their half all game.

Also at West Ham i may be wrong here but i'm pretty sure towards the end of his tenure that the owner was getting involved with first team affairs and undermining Pardew.

None the less it's way to early to be taking about this, does he need to up his game? without a doubt he doesn't have a clue tactically at the moment but he's obviously earned some time to sort it out.

im convinced the only way we can finish this season in any decent position, is if we go straight back to turgid football,  back to the defend deep, start cautious and catch teams on the break with direct play.

not saying its the best way.  But it's the only way Pardew knows how to do it.  He has shown that his great strength is organizing a team to defend and he does it well.

Are we not already playing this way?  Turgid football - Check, defend deep - check, start cautious - check.  It ain't working

its worked relatively ok this season , not as great and lucky as last season in regards to results,

our biggest non results when we came unstuck vs teams we expected to do well against., westham, swansea, bruge etc.  We actually change the usual Pardew game plan in regards to those games,  we went into those game to pass and attack and fell flat on our asses, we did a comeback vs bruge after we switched back to route one football.  Trust me its the only way Pardew can get any type of results from his team.

Guest bimpy474

Its not just us under performing, other teams have figured us out a bit too. Man Utd playing a narrow diamond was just one example.

That and hoy it football may keep you up, but you go anywhere near the top with it. Last year we did but in no way was that just hoy it football, we mixed it up better. This season has been just smash it forward.

im just really really worried that its our own players now that have found him out.

From what the players are still saying i think he's ok with them, but if we keep losing i dont think that'll stay the case.

I know its a broken record now but using 4-4-2 and hoy it footy with the players we have is not good, but more importantly the teams we are playing have figured that out and are just countering it.

That and as Wullie was saying, why stop using such a good tactic such as the 4-3-3 (worked for us anyhoo), when it quite plainly gets the best out of more players than 4-4-2 does. Baffling decision like.

2011/12

Stoke (a) 3-1 Very tough fixture, remarkable display. Bit nervy, but good comfort after we notched our third.

Man Utd (h) 3-0 We obviously didn't control the game, but we executed a game plan and contained them with reasonable comfort.

West Brom (a) 3-1 Weathered an early spell of pressure admirably, then HBADembaDemba destroyed them.

Stoke (h) 3-0 Glorious

2012/13

Erm...

That's my recollection (cobbled together very hurriedly!) of good performances from last season where I thought we looked fluent and comfy for more or less 90 minutes. Six out of 48-odd Premiership games suggests our rut is more or less the norm.

I realise you may wish to include victories away to Swansea, maybe at home to Bolton etc - but not for me. :dontknow:

you can at least rub out one from that list, the away win vs Stroke was a win but a shocking one, at the time i enjoyed it because any win vs Pulis the turd is a great one, but damn did we stink it up, we smashed them at their own game using their towels to dry the ball and launch with throwings and long balls all night long.  Don't want to see too many of those games  tbh. I know if a neutral was watching it, they wouldnt had got any jollies from that game.

Guest bimpy474

2011/12

Stoke (h) 3-0 Glorious

2012/13

Erm...

you can at least rub out one from that list, the away win vs Stroke was a win but a shocking one, at the time i enjoyed it because any win vs Pulis the turd is a great one, but damn did we stink it up, we smashed them at their own game using their towels to dry the ball and launch with throwings and long balls all night long.  Don't want to see too many of those games  tbh. I know if a neutral was watching it, they wouldnt had got an jollies from that game.

Stoke away was brilliant man, watching Pulis doing his nut as Simpson dried the ball was outstanding. Seeing the ref say to him, "well you do it".

The very reason Stoke now have the towelling sewn into shirt of their long throwers, we caused that  :snod:

From what the players are still saying i think he's ok with them, but if we keep losing i dont think that'll stay the case.

I know its a broken record now but using 4-4-2 and hoy it footy with the players we have is not good, but more importantly the teams we are playing have figured that out and are just countering it.

That and as Wullie was saying, why stop using such a good tactic such as the 4-3-3 (worked for us anyhoo), when it quite plainly gets the best out of more players than 4-4-2 does. Baffling decision like.

because 4-3-3 wouldn't work either.  It worked over a handful of games towards the end of a season vs teams that had nothing left to play for.  People forget that. 

We also tried 4-3-3/4-5-1 atleast once this season, the most memorable was the first half vs Everton when we got virtually bent over and taken to task.  Switched back to 4-4-2 second half.

Why, God! Why do we hit the hoof ball to Ba/Cisse over and over and over again for them to challenge the CB's in a heading duel? We even do this while under no pressure at all. 9 times out of ten they wont win it anyway, and still in the same game we do it again, fucking hell, mind as well hand over the ball on a silver plate to give the opposition possession again.

This is just one of many problems, but even a blind clueless man would do something about it. No fucking wonder we invite pressure.

Sorry, but im tired and hungry.

I thought Stoke and Swansea were two fantastic performances, executed to perfection tactically. Don't really give a shit about whether it's good to watch for a neutral, that's not what I'm interested in.

Apart from that I'd go along with Beren's list. We served up far more atrocious performances than we did really good ones.

Why, God! Why do we hit the hoof ball to Ba/Cisse over and over and over again for them to challenge the CB's in a heading duel? We even do this while under no pressure at all. 9 times out of ten they wont win it anyway, and still in the same game we do it again, f***ing hell, mind as well hand over the ball on a silver plate to give the opposition possession again.

This is just one of many problems, but even a blind clueless man would do something about it. No f***ing wonder we invite pressure.

Sorry, but im tired and hungry.

because the players have been indoctrinated , its the only way they can play effectively. like brainwashed by Pardew.

when we try to pass it around they play even worse.

Guest bimpy474

because 4-3-3 wouldn't work either.  It worked over a handful of games towards the end of a season vs teams that had nothing left to play for.  People forget that. 

We also tried 4-3-3/4-5-1 atleast once this season, the most memorable was the first half vs Everton when we got virtually bent over and taken to task.  Switched back to 4-4-2 second half.

Dont agree it worked against teams who had nothing to play for. As for the Everton game, 4-3-3 might have worked but if you are still hoying it in whatever formation, then of course it wont.

I actually think that isn't as simple as just reverting to 4-3-3, it about the style and pattern of play, and our chronic lack of movement, also we must have the worst forwards in the premiership at holding the ball up, i'm including Demba in that too.

I thought Stoke and Swansea were two fantastic performances, executed to perfection tactically. Don't really give a s*** about whether it's good to watch for a neutral, that's not what I'm interested in.

Apart from that I'd go along with Beren's list. We served up far more atrocious performances than we did really good ones.

then you shouldnt have any complaints about Pardew.  swansea game this season was a great example of when we didnt play enough turgid football and lost because of it.

yep mentioned it a few post earlier we actually played 4-3-3/4-5-1 that game ironically,

also remembered the collapse vs WBA and getting tonked by Wigan 4-0

That Wigan one was hard to take as we got raped. Was it Di Santo that scored that weird beast?

2011/12

Stoke (h) 3-0 Glorious

2012/13

Erm...

Edit: Aston Villa (a) 1-1 too... still don't know how we only got a point from that. Well, I do actually, we had no attacking plan other than Raylor cutting in from the left and putting in the same ineffective ball :lol: Nonetheless, we bossed them and had them pinned in their half all game.

It's revisionist history to be saying that "we were always like this." The tactical shape is the same, but what's different is that with a few exceptions, the individuals are massively out of form.

Obviously there weren't a lot of games we "dominated" last year, but it's the norm for most games in any competitive league to be very close. If anything, six dominant results a season is a ridiculously high number for us.

What we should be counting is the number of games in which we've looked utterly and completely inept.

I think I can count the occasions last year on one hand. This year it's basically every week.

Guest bimpy474

Collapse against Fulham with Best on the left, Shola CF and Guthrie instead of Tiote......

First time we used 4-3-3 wasn't it. The best footballing (first) half we played all season that was.