Alan Pardew

Dave

I didn't really want to do this, but off the top of my head (there's probably more):

Martinez, Jol, Benitez, and Frank de Boer.

Frank de Boer would probably turn us down but he'd be my preferred choice.

The sad thing is there's plenty more like you at SJP.

Yeh, I'm a rubbish fan. Sorry.

A win away from being 3rd and only one defeat in 6 without playing any decent football and without yet being able to put out our strongest XI, beat Man United on Sunday and we go above them.

Solid enough start, if we can get our core back and settled and don't suffer too many injuries we will be fine and the football on show will improve.

I think we've got a good chance of beating Man Utd again with enough defenders fit. Playing them fits the way we play, it's when we play the s**** that we're struggling because we play too safe.

That's part of it. The fact we play people like Jonas against such teams is the bigger problem.

The home fans yesterday were a right bunch of dicks. Whilst the result wasn't amazing it was rather amusing to sicken them late on.

The stadium certainly defines "out of town", was a bloody hike back to the station after the game with the queues for the buses horrendous. On the other hand,never known a seat with such much leg room.

I think we've got a good chance of beating Man Utd again with enough defenders fit. Playing them fits the way we play, it's when we play the s**** that we're struggling because we play too safe.

That's part of it. The fact we play people like Jonas against such teams is the bigger problem.

Depends where you play him.

We don't need him in midfield either when Tiote's fit. I'm still hoping Anita pushes him out of the side but apparently he's captain material.

We finished 5th last season, are in Europe and have one of the strongest teams in the league. Plus the much admired scouting network and 50,000 fans at every home game.

We could attract a very good manager but I have no faith in Ashley and Llambo appointing one.

Conveniently ignoring that it was Pardew that built and achieved those things.

I don't think this is really true. If a different manager had been appointed by Ashley, I think the personnel of the side would be pretty much identical.

Wullie you are generally the most negative man on this board, then you come out and say you think we have a good chance of beating Man U. You get laid last night?

I'm not "negative" in the slightest tbh. I was one of the people in January saying we should be aiming to finish in the top four while the people who consistently claim themselves to be "optimists" were wetting themselves at the exciting prospect of finishing 7th and saying we should be happy with that.

We don't need him in midfield either when Tiote's fit. I'm still hoping Anita pushes him out of the side but apparently he's captain material.

He was excellent in a three man midfield last year, and very useful whenever he dropped back to left back too.

We finished 5th last season, are in Europe and have one of the strongest teams in the league. Plus the much admired scouting network and 50,000 fans at every home game.

We could attract a very good manager but I have no faith in Ashley and Llambo appointing one.

Conveniently ignoring that it was Pardew that built and achieved those things. It really does boil my p*ss that there are actually people out there even contemplating changing manager. Everything that's wrong with modern day football fans.

There's nothing wrong with discussing his mistakes and criticising him. But I believe he has earned a damn sight more respect and time after last season to have anyone even contemplating the idea that he's not up to it. It's just pathetic. He's clearly capable. Sure, the first 6 games of the season haven't been great (we've still picked up plenty of points though), but it's 6 games for f***s sake. He's earnt the whole season to prove he is capable again IMO.

I was simply stating our current positives as someone said we'd struggle to attract a good manager. You've probably quoted the wrong post.

He was excellent in a three man midfield last year, and very useful whenever he dropped back to left back too.

Didn't he play LB against Norwich? I remember him being awful that game. He gets too much credit for tenacity, doing the basics and basically being a very professional, likeable guy. There are players out there at far smaller clubs who have those same attributes with the creativity we badly need in games like yesterday.

Did he play LB against Norwich? I remember him being awful that game. He gets too much credit for tenacity, doing the basics and basically being a very professional, likeable guy. There are players out there at far smaller clubs who have those same attributes with the creativity we badly need in games like yesterday.

Yeah he set up the only goal, made another great chance for Cisse with a sublime pass and got Sky's MOTM award.

Conveniently ignoring that it was Pardew that built and achieved those things.

I don't think this is really true. If a different manager had been appointed by Ashley, I think the personnel of the side would be pretty much identical.

His biggest strength has been sorting our defence, the issue he said was his job to sort in training. Doing that + Ba's goals were the main reason we were so high before Cisse arrived. Not any manager could've done that. This season has been very similar re Ba's goals, but we lost defensive players.

His biggest strength has been sorting our defence, the issue he said was his job to sort in training. Doing that + Ba's goals were the main reason we were so high before Cisse arrived. Not any manager could've done that. This season has been very similar re Ba's goals, but we lost defensive players.

His job isn't to coach the defence, he's the manager.

I think one of the problems Pardew has is that he basically seems to have very little say in transfer policy, and that our main buying strategy is "who can we get for cheap?"

Hence he's got a squad of players that don't really fit into any particular system or style of play. We constantly chop and change. Sometimes it's 4-4-2, sometimes it's 4-5-1, sometimes it's 4-3-3, sometimes it's 4-2-3-1. Sometimes Ba's up front, sometimes he's a left sided wide forward. Perch is a full back, now he's a central midfielder, now he's a centre half. Anita's a central midfielder, now he's a full back. Jonas has played right, left, centrally, full back, Ben Arfa's played up front, left, right, centrally. Ryan Taylor's played just about everywhere but up front and in goal. Pardew likes to play a direct 4-4-2 but most of our players don't.

What position does Sammy Ameobi play if he comes into our team? Marveaux? Ferguson? Gosling? Vuckic? I honestly haven't got the first clue what the best/main position is of half of our players.

Versatility's fine but we seem to ask it from nearly every player in the squad because as a club, we don't seem to have any real idea of how we should be playing. Wenger never buys a player that he doesn't think will be able to play the way he wants to play. Pardew doesn't have that luxury. He gets what he's given and then has to shoehorn it all into a working unit. No wonder we look all over the place and have no cohesion. Plan B? We've not really come up with Plan A yet.

I think one of the problems Pardew has is that he basically seems to have very little say in transfer policy, and that our main buying strategy is "who can we get for cheap?"

Hence he's got a squad of players that don't really fit into any particular system or style of play. We constantly chop and change. Sometimes it's 4-4-2, sometimes it's 4-5-1, sometimes it's 4-3-3, sometimes it's 4-2-3-1. Sometimes Ba's up front, sometimes he's a left sided wide forward. Perch is a full back, now he's a central midfielder, now he's a centre half. Anita's a central midfielder, now he's a full back. Jonas has played right, left, centrally, full back, Ben Arfa's played up front, left, right, centrally. Ryan Taylor's played just about everywhere but up front and in goal. Pardew likes to play a direct 4-4-2 but most of our players don't.

What position does Sammy Ameobi play if he comes into our team? Marveaux? Ferguson? Gosling? Vuckic? I honestly haven't got the first clue what the best/main position is of half of our players.

Versatility's fine but we seem to ask it from nearly every player in the squad because as a club, we don't seem to have any real idea of how we should be playing. Wenger never buys a player that he doesn't think will be able to play the way he wants to play. Pardew doesn't have that luxury. He gets what he's given and then has to shoehorn it all into a working unit. No wonder we look all over the place and have no cohesion. Plan B? We've not really come up with Plan A yet.

This, It really started when we bought Cisse. We have Ba and Cisse but the rest of our team is more suited to a formation with only one of them in the team.