NUFC Statistical Analysis (12/13 Season)

SEMTEX

23rd October 2010 2nd February 2013 - last time we came from behind to win in the PL (under Hughton) 834 days 0 days

1st October 2011 - last time we scored from a corner in the PL 490 days

21 April 2012 2nd February 2013 - last time Beren was impressed with Newcastle for 90 minutes in the PL 291 days 0 days

Only one left now :) We weren't non-stop sexy for the full 90, but that counts as a match-long performance. Against good opposition to boot.

:) Gerrin!

Shamelessly taken from the post-match discussion as it's probably more appropriate in here:

Getting a bit carried away tbh, we will drop some silly points before season out.

Yeah we're not suddenly going to win every single game.

I don't see anyone claiming 13 out of 13, but there's no reason for us to write off any of the remaining games (Citeh aside if they're back to full health/still in title challenge):

Spurs (a) - probably second toughest game of the 13, would strongly fancy our chances if we repeat today's efforts

Southampton (h) - their longest trip of the season, slight worry about Europa hangover but new boys can't all play

Swansea (a) - third toughest fixture for me; week after League Cup final so potential Wembley hangover for them

Stoke (h) - we know we can outplay them, Sissoko and MVM will only help us to match them for power (Walters esp)

Wigan (a) - chance to reverse last season's thrashing, all of the new faces should be bedded into the squad nicely

Citeh (a) - tough trip, Mancini wants to be within 5 points of Utd after this game.

Fulham (h) - not the best travellers (glass houses, etc)

mackems (h) - NETD, marra.

Baggies (a) - they've not got the biggest squad, will find themselves running out of steam after a superb opening half

scousers (h) - toughest home game left, a draw will most likely look a good result by this point.

west ham (a) - surely safely mid-table and seeing out the season

QPR (a) - surely relegated and seeing out the season with a group of overpaid and uninterested mercenaries

Arsenal (h) - (n)either team could be playing for something by this point.

We've been desperate for a bit of momentum all season, a couple of good wins and the energy from the new faces could have done the trick to set us on our way. As we showed in the beginning of last season and the end, once we get ourselves a head of steam we're canny at grinding out results and finding a way to get a win.

I make that Citeh, Liverpool and the mackems which are the games I probably won't go into with the firm belief we can win - even then, if we play against these three teams the same way we did against Chelski (the most important 2 games are at home) then there's no way we'll pick up less than 6 points (Citeh might be able to match us).

Agreed?

I think you're being a bit optimistic. :)

Hopefully we'll be able to win the rest of our home games, and sneak a few points away, which should leave us with 45-50 points, finishing around 9th or 10th.

When we win a couple more matches, our priority should immediately be the Europa League. We have a good shot at winning it when Ben Arfa comes back. The league is pretty much over for us when we're certain that we won't be relegated but this season can still be as good as last if we prioritise the Europa.

I think you're being a bit optimistic. :)

Hopefully we'll be able to win the rest of our home games, and sneak a few points away, which should leave us with 45-50 points, finishing around 9th or 10th.

When we win a couple more matches, our priority should immediately be the Europa League. We have a good shot at winning it when Ben Arfa comes back. The league is pretty much over for us when we're certain that we won't be relegated but this season can still be as good as last if we prioritise the Europa.

Don't think it's that over optimistic, even with the knowledge that today's result has brightened the mood around NE1; will hold my hands up in May if the club is limping home in lower midtable without any further progress in Europa League and say it has been a very disappointing finish to the season*

Agree with the notion that we should be going all out to win every game in the Europa League - we're not gonna be able to field all of the new players in the competition, so even if we have Haidara, Sissoko and Debuchy/MVM playing on a Thursday night as part of our strongest XI, we've still got a 'fresh' Gouffran and Debuchy/MVM to join whoever didn't play out of Tiote/Anita/Perch/Marveaux/Jonas.

With 'only' 7 internationals in the squad, we can give the players who aren't called up for national duty a chance to stay refreshed and in peak shape during the two (three?) international breaks between now and May.

Afterall, if we're not going to try and win the bloody competition - why bother going through all that hassle to qualify for it in the first place?

*caveat if Ben Arfa or Cabaye's leg(s) fall off.

That doesn't look bad.

Finish towards the top of that group we're in and I think it'll have been a decent rescue of the season. Somewhere about 12th.

Yep, would give us reason to be positive for next season anyway. Actually think 12th would be a bit of a let down when you look at our potential even now but given where we were after the Reading game, I'd take it at this stage.

9th looks to be the best we could "realistically" achieve with a good run. After Reading I would have settled for 17th, and perhaps we should still keep one eye over our shoulders, although 10th also looks eminently do-able on current form, also taking into account the form of others around us. Our run-in is certainly not too bad....could be worse.

Sorry for nicking this Dave. :lol:

Just thought I'd snip the part of the league we could still compete with.

34 - WBA

33 - Stoke

30 - West Ham

29 - Fulham, Sunderland, Norwich

27 - Southampton, Newcastle

23 - Reading

21 - Wigan, Aston Villa

17 - QPR

• 3 weeks later...