Reds 2-5 Blues - 10/03/13 - post-match reaction from page 35

Yorkie

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

We started something like

---------------Yorkie's mate in goal------------------

-----------Neesy------Nut------Duffy-----------------------

----Rocker---me----Slim----Disco----Dino-----

---------------Kev------OCK

Ketsbaia scored one of our goals I think.

The 1st half I thought we vaguely stuck to our positions well. 2nd half with different people swapping, it all went to pot.

Ah that's who he was!

So we had Yorkie's Dad as the Ref, and Yorkie's Mate in goal... the plot thickens.  :huff:

Someone please draw out the formation and players for me. Im intrigued.

Blues:

------------------------------------------------ Knoxy ------------------------------------------------

------------------ Yorkie ---------------------------------- Joey ----------------------- Mattypnufc

---------------------------------------- Rich -----------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------- LFEE ----------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------- Nixon ---------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------- Theregulars -------------------------

------------------------------------------- Cunny --------------------------------------- NixonJr ----

TaylorJ -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reds:

----------------------------------------------- :yao: -------------------------------------------------

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye, I'll let you have this victory Yorkie. You earned it, it'll look good on your CV. We've all signed the Matchday Sheet too, so you can put it on your the wall.

:laugh:

Ta. In all seriousness though - it really was a stone-wall penalty on you, I don't know why he didn't give it. That could have changed the game because you had a lot of pressure towards the end of the first half, and ruthlessly exploited my inability to track a football. I even got a patronising "defence isn't really you, Yorkie" from Nixon to calm my nerves.

Tbf, he did give a thoroughly bizarre indirect free-kick eight yards from goal to make up for it. But unfortunately you had trigger-happy Kev on FKs!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Ref was an OK bloke, just a bit of a poor ref. See if you can get that one Stu usually gets, just turn off 'foul throws' before we press start.

Ref was an OK bloke, just a bit of a poor ref. See if you can get that one Stu usually gets, just turn off 'foul throws' before we press start.

He just let us all do our thing, which was exactly what I asked from him; I rang him on Saturday to talk about foul throws. :lol: It was just a kickabout after all; it's just good to have someone with a watch and a whistle to make sure it flows properly and doesn't get too daft.

I did ring Steve, Stu's ref, initially - but he was unavailable.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He just let us all do our thing, which was exactly what I asked from him; I rang him on Saturday to talk about foul throws. :lol: It was just a kickabout after all; it's just good to have someone with a watch and a whistle to make sure it flows properly and doesn't get too daft.

If that's all you want I could probably get someone for £10 next time, and he'd actually have a whistle too!

Lad who's on these forums who I work with is a ref. Not sure on his username on here mind.

'PM'?

I've no idea why he gave the pass back. I stuck a leg out to block and it deflected to the keeper.

Was cool having linesmen but he didn't whistle so was never sure if it was indeed offside or not. Otherwise it was great having a ref, kept it serious.

If that's all you want I could probably get someone for £10 next time, and he'd actually have a whistle too!

Promised me Dad I'd let him do it though, didn't ah. ;)

Surprised nobody has bothered with an overview, though I know it's difficult to do if you don't want to hurt any feelings. However, given that I'm a diplomatic bastard who provided beverages and children's snacks I'll take the risk:

I thought the Red 'keeper was very handy, despite the Smog shirt. Cunny's goal aside (which was a very good hit) he did well on a lot of occasions when our wide two got in on goal. I know Theregulars was offside anyway, but the double save he made in the build-up to "that miss" in particular was fairly epic.

Thought Duffy, Nut and Kev were the standouts aside from that on the Reds. Duffy is obviously a quality player and I've never seen Nut have a bad game, despite him often being a one-man defence (Disco dutifully stuck by him to the death this time like and did a very good job against our outlet on the left to keep the score down). Kev was waltzing through us with ease at times when he pushed further up and his goal was great. The one off the bar was an even better hit like... shame about the other dozen! Think if he and Duffy had played as more advanced CMs from the beginning it would have been a very different story. OCK and Rocker kept us very busy at the back with a lot of good runs and are mainly responsible for the awful physical state I'm in today, but thankfully neither really got played in at the right time to get any clear chances on our goal. Apologies to both for a couple of very shoddy "challenges" in the first five minutes :anguish:

As far as our lot went, honestly can't say anyone played under a 7. Thought Cunny (MOTM for me), Theregulars, Taylor and Dan stood out as the best footballers. It was invaluable having two players out wide with pace, stamina and the ability to beat a man and I thought the two advanced CMs for us ran the game and were everywhere. Ian and LFEE were like men possessed when in DM (fucking brilliant, each of them, obvious small-sided veterans) and Nixon was involved in most of the good stuff we did in the first half - scored a really top-drawer first goal and set his brother away with a lovely pass for the second. I also greatly enjoyed the fact three different people commented "anyone but fucking him" when he was in on goal both times :lol:

Joey was solid as anything and positioned himself well behind his often erratic partner for the entire game, Matty was the standout defender in terms of his distribution and all-round play considering he was on his wrong side (throws were fucking spot-on as well) and Yorkie did a very good job in three different positions and a particularly brilliant job of picking the team/setting it up in a 4-3-3. Jack's shot-stopping in goal was excellent, particularly the save from the header in the first-half - for both when it happened in the game and for just how good a save it was - although his distribution was about as bad as mine throughout. I'm blaming colour deficiency (blindness)/iffy shirt choices and I think he'll have the narrowness of the pitch/the wind.

Overall it was a very good game until it hit 3-1 and things went to pot in terms of shape for the Reds, if that penalty gets given or the header goes in (did both happen when it was 2-1?) then it could've been a very different outcome as it might have swung your way and we might've been the ones getting desperate.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Header which led to 'that' save :(

First 5 minutes, first touch and a bit of acceleration between you and Joey... only to hit shot at keeper.  :okay:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Enjoyed the physical battle against Rich and Joey, some good timed tackles from Rich (as well as some outright 'fuck this' fouls  :lol:). I want more games now. That was my first 11-a-side game I've played (where I haven't been in goal) for years.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

:lol:

Classic defender 'letting him know he's there' tackles.

Next game, Kev up front and Duffy in midfield for sure. Kev was suppose to be up front with me, but I think he saw the midfield and thought 'Nah...'  :lol: Really enjoyed that game though, almost to the point of joining the local Sunday team.  :buck2:

You got me back with a couple of Shearer-esque levers in my ribs while I was up for headers that made me look silly, think the first of which led to you getting in early doors for that chance you mentioned.

Should definitely pencil something in for early summer if there are enough about. Mid-late June to hopefully catch the students before they fuck off home?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye, surprised I got away with the old nudge and turn as often as I did. There was 1 in the second half which I thought 'that's a foul'... but no!  :lol: Remember at one point I grabbed you on the blindside of the ref and stopped your shifting across to cover an attack.  :lol: :lol:

Haven't played up front since I was 16.  :yao: Was loving every moment of it.  :lol:

I don't know if it's still the cold or i've done something to my arm but I can't feel the from the top of my hand upto my elbow, although it is a tad swollen.

Really enjoyed it though, i'll definitely be down for another providing it's not so cold as last time (it was definitely a bad idea to turn up in shorts and football top with nothing else, hard man, I am not).

MOTM for me was our keeper though, good shouts and was solid for everything.

Reds                  2  -  5            Blues

Ketsbaia '37                              Nixon Jnr '15, '80 

GallowgateKev '66                    Nixon '50

TaylorJ '60       

Geordiecunny '76

Competitive game in varying conditions - horizontal ice blizzards to sunshine. Some good play (confirmed by the ref who said "some good play") and some bad.

I'll put a * where I'm not sure. Also, the times are pretty much guesses, but it's roughly correct. Don't think it went 1-1 but I can't remember.

'10 - Ball played down right by geordiecunny, whipped in by TaylorJ but no-one on the end of it.

'15 - Nixon* plays through his brother who goes on to slot past the onrushing goalkeeper. 1-0.

'20 - A reds attack marvellously halted by a Rich doom tackle.

'37 - GallowgateKev shot saved by Knoxy333 but falls into path of Ketsbaia who smashes it into the roof of the net. 1-1.

'45 - Ref blows for half-time. Jaffa cakes all round courtesy of Rich.

'50 - TaylorJ* pass to Nixon who pushes the ball out his feet from 18 yards and whips one over the keeper. 2-1.

'53 - A Neil powerdrive well saved by the Blue's keeper.

'55 - Disco burns his face into the ground. Mild applause.

'60 - Rich* plays ball to theregulars who plays through TaylorJ to slot home. 3-1.

'64 - ****** header from a GallowgateKev corner brilliantly saved, at close range, by Knoxy333 and cleared.

'66 - GallowgateKev scores a great goal from outside the box. 3-2.

'70 - geordiecunny, possibly aided by the wind, hits a 20 yard effort over the keeper after great midfield hustling by LFEE. 4-2.

'75 - Optimistic Nut left footed drive from distance just wide.

'80 - Nixon Jnr in, quite literally, acres of space to score past the red's keeper. 5-2.

'83 - Kev shoots from fully 300 yards, possibly put off by girl's hockey team.

Teams (roughly)

BLUES:

----------------------Knoxy333------------------

---------Yorkie----Rich------Joey------mattypnufc-----------------------

---LFEE/Ian W---geordiecunny----Theregulars

-------Nixon-------

-TaylorJ_01-------------------------------------Nixon Jnr----

REDS:

----------------------DaveJ------------------

-----------Neesy------Nut------Duffy-----------------------

----Rocker---Neil----Slim----Disco----Dino-----

---------------Kev------OCK

-------------------------------------------------------

If anyone has any corrections/additions then fire away. The times/order are probably completely wrong but there we go.

It was 2-0 then 2-1 at HT and I remember Nixon's goal being all of his own doing more than anything (was also the first goal wasn't it?)

Was it ever 3-2 as well? Thought it got to 4-1 then 4-2, then 5-2?

Think Cunny's goal was the one for 3-1 an' all. Yours was the 4th. You have time to see these things and scratch your arse while playing CB.