Aston Villa vs Newcastle - 29/01/13 @ 7:45pm - Not on TV

Beren

Good side apart from Jonas, Taylor & Perch.

Taylor's a good defender and Perch is the best DM we have with Tiote away.

I thought Anita was a DM?

He is, just not in the traditional sense. Still a better passer and more positionally aware than Perch. But he can't deliver that overrated bone-crunching tackle, so he takes the bench.

A DM is responsible for protecting the back 4. That isn't Anita in a million years in the PL.

It is if you use him correctly there's so many examples of similar players in the PL atm for teams with a lot more points than us.

The idea of a DM is dying anyway and the sooner people grasp on to that the better.

This. More than one way to "protect" the back four other than tackling.

Anita's not a DM, tbf. Not in this league anyway.

Why not?

I haven't seen him display the defensive attributes (tackling, anticipation, strength) or show enough awareness of his surroundings in such a pressurised area of the pitch. He'll get his pocket picked too dangerously there IMO.

He's been at his best for us between the lines, higher up the pitch and where he can move the ball on a bit quicker and use his pace to better effect. His blind passing/passing around the corner to get moves going is great. [/also IMO]

I can see Perch giving the ball away far more easily under pressure tbh, but we'll see.

FWIW, I wouldn't play Perch over Anita either. I'm just saying I don't think Anita is a DM.