Why no playoffs?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

:lol: Finishing top after a 38-game season doesn't give a clear indication of who the best team is?!

I think it gives a better indication of who the richest teams are.

Yes, but again that is a different problem. The format is as fair as it gets. The finances and aspirations of individual billionaires is what creates the monopoly at the top.

I'm not anti-mike or a yank turncoat :lol: but I don't think I'm fully sold on it. Probably 60-40 in favor of keeping it the way it is.

For one I like the idea that you win the league by being the best over the long haul. I wouldn't take the top 8 finishers of a marathon then put them through sprint playoffs to decide a real winner.

On the other hand I do like knockout competitions and I think they add more excitement overall. And this would have a chance at breaking up the top 4.

But you already have the FA cup for knockout purposes. Just need a way of breaking up the entrenched top clubs. 

I can see pluses and minuses but I'd leave it as is tbh.

Marathon analogy doesn't fly because the Kenyans running in the EPL are on fucking horses and no one cares.

Teams choose when to care about the FA Cup. We choose to never care about it. It's nowhere near the same as a playoff, imo.

This breaks up the entrenched top clubs.

No it doesn't, you'll have Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs in it every year and two others that will maybe once in 50 years win it outside that group unless they spend enough to catch up

So encouraging billionaires to spend some cash on their plaything and compete is bad? Playoffs make the buy in for success significantly cheaper, and the more teams vying for playoff glory means more talent on each team. I feel like it's like this in every sport we have.

:lol: God damn you Kaizero. God damn you to hell, bumping this shit.

But then you're bringing up the situation where you can only compete if you are a big brand like Man Utd or Liverpool or are taken over by a billionaire by Man City or Chelsea. I don't believe this to be the case even with the system the way it currently is. Atletico Madrid, Dortmund and Juventus have won major leagues and got to Champions League finals in the last 5 years without spending hundreds of millions.

I don't know why random is necessarily seen as a good thing. The NBA and NHL playoffs are fun, but the regular seasons are largely meaningless.

What you really want is revenue sharing or a salary cap. The huge influx of TV money to the PL clubs is leveling the playing field a bit and you're seeing a really interesting season. Also, in all of the American sports the only thing that matters is who wins the championship (and who will get the #1 pick). In the Premier League, you have the title race, the top 4 race, the other European places, relegation (which is often times just as interesting as anything else), plus the cups.

Revenue sharing maybe, although Mike Ashley doesn't even want to share revenue with f***ing NUFC. They'll never implement a cap, imo.

Agreed, nor should they. It'd be the quickest way to not be the most high profile league in the world anymore. Some would argue revenue sharing already exists since the TV contract is paid out evenly (with rewards for performance) unlike La Liga. The additional CL money is becoming less important, although the allure of the competition itself is a major recruiting tool.

Face it, you're trying to mess with something that is pretty fucking great. You're just sick of supporting shitty teams in every sport.

:lol: It's not great at all, though.

Again, playoffs have been the source of every bit of my sports misery. If someone wanted to remove playoffs from Baseball tomorrow I'd be 100 percent in because the Yankees print money and it would be like the fucking 20's again. But playoffs are the reason the Yankees are fucking shit and if I step away from how bemused it makes me it's outstanding that the fucking Royals are the champs.

Hell, my baseball team is owned by the American version of Mike Ashley, and it won the title twice in six years, with none of the same players the second time as they dumped everyone who won the first one over the course of the following season.

I can see both sides of this argument, but adding playoffs is absolutely the best way to produce unexpected winners/Champions League qualifiers.

:lol: Finishing top after a 38-game season doesn't give a clear indication of who the best team is?!

Chelsea are a rich team and are currently pissing about in the bottom half.

That's clearly an outlier. There's clearly a positive correlation between wealth and success, much more so in the PL than in American sports.

Yes, but again that is a different problem. The format is as fair as it gets. The finances and aspirations of individual billionaires is what creates the monopoly at the top.

If we agree that the core problem is unrestricted spending, the direct solution is obviously some kind of spending cap. Which is very unlikely to ever happen unless it were instituted unilaterally across UEFA (or FIFA).

Barring that, instituting a playoff system would indirectly help to mitigate the effects of the spending disparities between clubs, albeit not as well as a salary cap would.

I don't know why random is necessarily seen as a good thing. The NBA and NHL playoffs are fun, but the regular seasons are largely meaningless.

What you really want is revenue sharing or a salary cap. The huge influx of TV money to the PL clubs is leveling the playing field a bit and you're seeing a really interesting season. Also, in all of the American sports the only thing that matters is who wins the championship (and who will get the #1 pick). In the Premier League, you have the title race, the top 4 race, the other European places, relegation (which is often times just as interesting as anything else), plus the cups.

Revenue sharing maybe, although Mike Ashley doesn't even want to share revenue with f***ing NUFC. They'll never implement a cap, imo.

Agreed, nor should they. It'd be the quickest way to not be the most high profile league in the world anymore. Some would argue revenue sharing already exists since the TV contract is paid out evenly (with rewards for performance) unlike La Liga. The additional CL money is becoming less important, although the allure of the competition itself is a major recruiting tool.

Face it, you're trying to mess with something that is pretty f***ing great. You're just sick of supporting shitty teams in every sport.

Again, playoffs have been the source of every bit of my sports misery. If someone wanted to remove playoffs from Baseball tomorrow I'd be 100 percent in because the Yankees print money and it would be like the f***ing 20's again. But playoffs are the reason the Yankees are f***ing s*** and if I step away from how bemused it makes me it's outstanding that the f***ing Royals are the champs.

The Royals had the best record in American League. The three teams with a better record were all in the NL and all had their seasons ruined in a 2 week stretch by each other and a freak performance by an above average player (total randomness). The Royals ended up playing none of them. How is that better?

:lol: Last season was a perfect example of what playoffs gives a sport, man. The Cubs coming from the wild card to make the NLCS, the friggin Mets went to the World Series, ffs. Everything that happened in Toronto after the trade. The Yankees turning into shit. Take away the playoffs and the fucking Cardinals are champs, meanwhile they couldn't even beat the wild card team when it mattered.

I need to spend more time in the US sports threads. You guys are out of control. Dave is going to block all US IP addresses.

:lol: we're spoiled by the exceptionally well-run American sports leagues and appreciate real competition. We simply want the PL to fulfill its potential as a league.

I need to spend more time in the US sports threads. You guys are out of control. Dave is going to block all US IP addresses.

:lol: we're spoiled by the exceptionally well-run American sports leagues and appreciate real competition. We simply want the PL to fulfill its potential as a league.

:lol: :lol:

reminder that the cool and good solution to all of the worlds problems, the playoff system, is being backed by a man whose team has appeared in no less than 40 world series, winning 27 of them, and he wants to tell you it will bring competition and break up entrenched clubs. I bet if you pull off mike's mask scooby-doo style you'll find donald trump underneath.

http://i.imgur.com/0gLtaiv.png

I'm not anti-mike or a yank turncoat :lol: but I don't think I'm fully sold on it. Probably 60-40 in favor of keeping it the way it is.

For one I like the idea that you win the league by being the best over the long haul. I wouldn't take the top 8 finishers of a marathon then put them through sprint playoffs to decide a real winner.

On the other hand I do like knockout competitions and I think they add more excitement overall. And this would have a chance at breaking up the top 4.

But you already have the FA cup for knockout purposes. Just need a way of breaking up the entrenched top clubs. 

Marathon analogy doesn't fly because the Kenyans running in the EPL are on fucking horses and no one cares.

Teams choose when to care about the FA Cup. We choose to never care about it. It's nowhere near the same as a playoff, imo.

No it doesn't, you'll have Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs in it every year and two others that will maybe once in 50 years win it outside that group unless they spend enough to catch up

So encouraging billionaires to spend some cash on their plaything and compete is bad? Playoffs make the buy in for success significantly cheaper, and the more teams vying for playoff glory means more talent on each team. I feel like it's like this in every sport we have.

But then you're bringing up the situation where you can only compete if you are a big brand like Man Utd or Liverpool or are taken over by a billionaire by Man City or Chelsea. I don't believe this to be the case even with the system the way it currently is. Atletico Madrid, Dortmund and Juventus have won major leagues and got to Champions League finals in the last 5 years without spending hundreds of millions.

You can compete if you're run well. Playoff results/appearances is a more immediate indication of how well the team is being run. Saying a team has finished top 10 for a decade is nice, but when you say it like "x hasn't made the playoffs in 10 years" you get an idea that what they're doing isn't working. Midtable teams get to spin their wheels for years in the EPL.

reminder that the cool and good solution to all of the worlds problems, the playoff system, is being backed by a man whose team has appeared in no less than 40 world series, winning 27 of them, and he wants to tell you it will bring competition and break up entrenched clubs. I bet if you pull off mike's mask scooby-doo style you'll find donald trump underneath.

http://i.imgur.com/XFYTDyS.gif

Face it, you're trying to mess with something that is pretty f***ing great. You're just sick of supporting shitty teams in every sport.

Again, playoffs have been the source of every bit of my sports misery. If someone wanted to remove playoffs from Baseball tomorrow I'd be 100 percent in because the Yankees print money and it would be like the f***ing 20's again. But playoffs are the reason the Yankees are f***ing s*** and if I step away from how bemused it makes me it's outstanding that the f***ing Royals are the champs.

The Royals had the best record in American League. The three teams with a better record were all in the NL and all had their seasons ruined in a 2 week stretch by each other and a freak performance by an above average player (total randomness). The Royals ended up playing none of them. How is that better?

:lol: Last season was a perfect example of what playoffs gives a sport, man. The Cubs coming from the wild card to make the NLCS, the friggin Mets went to the World Series, ffs. Everything that happened in Toronto after the trade. The Yankees turning into s***. Take away the playoffs and the f***ing Cardinals are champs, meanwhile they couldn't even beat the wild card team when it mattered.

I'm not denying the drama, it was incredible. But your first post made it seem like the Royals didn't deserve to be champs and wouldn't have been without playoffs. In the 50's they would have won the pennant and gone to the WS to play the Cardinals, which would have been great too and I still think they would have won.

That's misleading as well. Damn it all. (and I'm a Yankees fan as well)

He knew what he was doing when he bumped it like :lol:

:lol: 27 titles.

Only seven in the....46 years since playoffs have existed.

Two of those against the Braves, mind. :coolsmiley:

Sounding awfully Beren-like here

Sounding awfully Beren-like here

:lol: When I say "only seven"  I mean like...27 is dead misleading. Obviously seven is loads! God damn it, don't make me feel bad here, Deuce. You're getting at me like pitchers and catchers are back.

:lol: Listen, again. You want to eliminate the MLB playoffs, I'm all in. Let's do it!

http://i.imgur.com/drY3k95.jpg

We haven't won 90 games in three years and refuse to spend money for another year or two. You're 12 years late on that.

You realise that in the NFL, the Seahawks have made it to the last two Superbowls (admittedly they didn't this season), and the Bronco's made it two seasons ago and have a chance again this year, the New England Patriots have made it the two of the last 4 and again have a chance of making it again this season, meaning the same team would have been in 3 out of 5 finals, both have one game (against each other) and they will make it to the Superbowl. How is it that this makes it unpredictable? :lol:

:lol: Listen, again. You want to eliminate the MLB playoffs, I'm all in. Let's do it!

http://i.imgur.com/drY3k95.jpg

that picture would piss me off even if I'd never heard of baseball :lol: first thing aliens see when they land is going to be that guy and it'll be curtains for humanity.

Why are there so many games in American sports bar American football? What is the actual point in playing 82 games of basketball in a season even before playoffs?

$$$

The only sport that needs the longer schedule is baseball (although it could lose 8 or so games) because without the larger sample size you might as well flip a coin.