Alan Pardew

Mike

I'm leaning Benitez not only because of his Prem experience & overseas experience but because he has handled the pressure really well at Chelsea.

He's been given stick all season and they could end up winning the Europa and 3rd in the Prem.

They've spent half a billion.

With him there?

No he's only allowed to use the reserve players.

Very funny. You dont rate him then?

I'm leaning Benitez not only because of his Prem experience & overseas experience but because he has handled the pressure really well at Chelsea.

He's been given stick all season and they could end up winning the Europa and 3rd in the Prem.

They've spent half a billion.

With him there?

No he's only allowed to use the reserve players.

Very funny. You dont rate him then?

I think he was an exceptional manager a few years back and still is pretty solid. Chelsea imo play really turgid football for the talent they have available. Benny hasn't really developed and although would do well for us, we'd probably hate the football.

He loves two holding mf and fullbacks aren't allowed to forage forward till near the end of the game. If you wipe away all the hype he's a Spanish Hodgson. He also spent 1/4 billion at Liverpool.

I'd rather have someone like Laudrup or Rijkaard who play really attacking football or someone else like that...

If we stay up and Pardew goes, I do hope we get the right man in irrespective of Premiership experience. Look at this list of permanent appointments we've made based on Premiership experience because we're afraid that managers who don't "know" this league might not do well:

- Dalglish

- Gullitt

- Souness

- Roeder

- Allardyce

- Kinnear

- Pardew

Compared to this (no experience of managing in the Premiership):

- Keegan

- Bobby Robson

- Chris Hughton

This squad we have is easily the best since the Sir Bobby era in terms of talent. The right manager could work wonders with it by simply getting them back to basics, passing and moving, attacking as a unit, showing for each other, etc etc, as opposed to rigidly staying in position and eventually lumping it in behind Cisse with blind hope. Any manager capable of "coaching" talented players would be a major improvement and would comfortably have this lot in the top half of the table at the very least.

Keegan and Bobby had plenty of experience at the very top level of English football. Hughton, as well as we did for him in the Championship, doesn't really belong there.

So basically you want someone with either playing or managerial experience in the Premiership - why? I assume it's somehow tied in with you thinking that this squad we have is relatively mediocre?

FWIW Wenger had neither playing nor managing experience in England when he was appointed. Nor did Jose Mourinho, or Rafa Benitez (who I think you've said you want), or Gerrard Houllier (half a decade or more ago and lots of folk on here were wanting him). Pochettino and Laudrup have had zilch to do with the UK too. Would it really be that bad if we were to broaden the scope to beyond these shores, like other, more progresive clubs do?

My West Ham mate thinks he's the devil incarnate...

I f***ing disagree.  At least the devil has a working system.

He loves crosses and hoofs too much to be the devil's incarnate.

But he's also very horny isn't he?

Laudrup could be a good call. Swansea were already playing more or less like that before he arrived, but I assume he has the same philosophy as Rodgers.

He made Swansea a little more direct and narrowed the the forward three. The tempo was increased to catch teams out with pace and fast passing and less sideways stuff.

I want someone who basically knows the league and how to succeed in it.

I'd rather not stage a repeat of the Juande Ramos situation, minus the LC.

Wenger, AVB (Not going to take Chelsea's kneejerk into consideration), Moyes, Ferguson, Laudrup, etc..

Plenty of examples of managers with no PL experience doing well .

Wenger, AVB (Not going to take Chelsea's kneejerk into consideration), Moyes, Ferguson, Laudrup, etc..

WENGER CAMe FROM JAPAN as well.

Ferguson and Moyes knew English football very well, it's safe to assume. Especially Moyes.

Laudrup could be a good call. Swansea were already playing more or less like that before he arrived, but I assume he has the same philosophy as Rodgers.

He made Swansea a little more direct and narrowed the the forward three. The tempo was increased to catch teams out with pace and fast passing and less sideways stuff.

Thats true, I saw us play them away I think it was last year and they just went side to side across the field. It looked nice but not much end result.

What managers in the lower leagues have developed a reputation for attacking, passing football with good results on a shoestring budget? That's the kind of manager we'd be going for if Pardew was to be binned. Same principle as the players we buy; hoping to strike it lucky on the cheap with someone hungry to come here and prove themselves at low financial risk.

Even if I was convinced in the slightest that Pardew's job is at risk, talk of Benitez, Moyes and the likes is mental IMO.

What managers in the lower leagues have developed a reputation for attacking, passing football with good results on a shoestring budget? That's the kind of manager we'd be going for if Pardew was to be binned. Same principle as the players we buy; hoping to strike it lucky on the cheap with someone hungry to come here and prove themselves at low financial risk.

Even if I was convinced in the slightest that Pardew's job is at risk, talk of Benitez, Moyes and the likes is mental IMO.

Think this is the ideal. A hungry youngish manager who wants the game played on the deck with a bit of style. There are a few mentioned earlier in the thread somewhere.

Wishful thinking.... you always hope but I agree unless Ashley gets fed up no way is Dekka firing his buddy.

Poyet.