Mike

West Ham

Morecambe

Fulham

Villa

Hull

Everton

Cardiff

7 games for Pardew to be judged on.  Could be gone by Halloween if it goes badly, and would have NO excuses about the quality of opposition.

W3 D1 L0

I don't think it means that much tbh. We still look like a collection of individuals where the parts are greater than the whole at times. It was a good result today, but it relied a lot on the defence and the threat of the front three when we broke. Fine away from home, but we will need to commit more players forward at home, and there's still questions to be answered on that front.

I don't think it means that much tbh. We still look like a collection of individuals where the parts are greater than the whole at times. It was a good result today, but it relied a lot on the defence and the threat of the front three when we broke. Fine away from home, but we will need to commit more players forward at home, and there's still questions to be answered on that front.

I can't think of a game this season when we've had more in the box than today, repeat that and we'll do OK as I don't think we lacked numbers.

If we have the same bottle at home as we had today we'll get the bodies in the box, we'll get goals.

I can't think of a game this season when we've had more in the box than today, repeat that and we'll do OK as I don't think we lacked numbers.

If we have the same bottle at home as we had today we'll get the bodies in the box, we'll get goals.

:thup:

To have that many chances away from home reflects even more positively for our home form (if we keep it up).

I liked Pardew's post match interview. His appetite for playing attacking football is clear. Whether we can keep the players fit that will allow them to form a cohesive attacking unit is another matter.

Not really.

I liked Pardew's post match interview. His appetite for playing attacking football is clear. Whether we can keep the players fit that will allow them to form a cohesive attacking unit is another matter.

Not really.

:lol: We played well today and the win was brilliant but some of the stuff that's been posted on here afterwards is fucking criminal like.

Aye, 2 and a half years with him as manager and I reckon if his appetite for attacking football was clear then I'd know about it by now.

He should be able to play something other than tedium ball when a few players are out injured.  We generally play better stuff with a fully fit squad, admittedly.

Not really.

:lol: We played well today and the win was brilliant but some of the stuff that's been posted on here afterwards is f***ing criminal like.

It is :lol:

If we play like that for the next 6-8 games i'll be delighted but it's a bit premature at the moment. Let's see how we're looking half way through November rather than just playing 90 minutes of good football out of 450 minutes.

Not really.

:lol: We played well today and the win was brilliant but some of the stuff that's been posted on here afterwards is f***ing criminal like.

If we play like that for the next 6-8 games i'll be delighted but it's a bit premature at the moment. Let's see how we're looking half way through November rather than just playing 90 minutes of good football out of 450 minutes.

about 105mins if you include the end of the fulham game.

He played an attacking line up today when it could have been very easy to go with something more defensive. If that's not a statement of his intentions, then I don't know what is.

It's one game in a season, that's what it is. In other words, very little to judge how a season will go from.

Not really.

about 105mins if you include then of the fulham game.

I was including the Fulham game.

Villa had a good 20-25 minutes after half time today. We looked ropey then. Very happy to see that we recovered. Very happy.

He played an attacking line up today when it could have been very easy to go with something more defensive. If that's not a statement of his intentions, then I don't know what is.

It's one game in a season, that's what it is. In other words, very little to judge how a season will go from.

Actually, you can take a hell of a lot from today's game. He's a safety first manager, no doubt, but he's shown that he's comfortable going for it when he trusts his team. I'm not saying he's an all-out attacking manager but we saw his mentality today, he's fine to go for it when he feels confident. This was an awkward fixture to predict as they've played better than their results suggest (due to opposition), he deserves credit for being ballsy enough to go there and look to beat them at their own game.

I see both sides here. It'll take a lot more than just today to prove these are his intentions, but on the other hand, it would have been very easy for "typical Pardew" to have brought Taylor back in to try and combat Benteke's strength, and recall Tiote since he's been a first teamer for 3 years now.

^^

Don't agree at all. I look at this match with no context and will say he clearly did very well today and i'm delighted.

It tells me nothing else because if you take it in context then we've been worse than p*ss poor for more than a calender year.

I'll just take this game as it is. Which was good viewing and 3 points. Delighted.

He's went for it in the past and we've looked like a semi-competent side until we've fallen on the wrong side of a 4 goal thumping or we've lost a few player to injuries, then he reverts back to normal.

If he can keep this mentality up and have the team playing as coherently as they did today over the course of the season then fair enough, he has no excuses not to.

Not really.

Villa had a good 20-25 minutes after half time today. We looked ropey then. Very happy to see that we recovered. Very happy.

villa did have a good spell, we didn't look ropey though, get what you mean though.

as someone who has pushed the 4-3-3 since ben arfa arrived, seen it work very well the season before last before being ditched because of a bad result (and who knows why last season ?) i'd like to see it as our default and I think it will with remy's arival. maybe differnt variants at time, tiote/jonas for an injured/suspended cabaye/anita/sissoko.  It gets the best out of ben arfa which creates space elsewhere.

Not really.

villa did have a good spell, we didn't look ropey though, get what you mean though.

as someone who has pushed the 4-3-3 since ben arfa arrived, seen it work very well the season before last before being ditched because of a bad result (and who knows why last season ?) i'd like to see it as our default and I think it will with remy's arival. maybe differnt variants at time, tiote/jonas for an injured/suspended cabaye/anita/sissoko.  It gets the best out of ben arfa which creates space elsewhere.

Yeah, know i was (sort of) rowing with you about th3 4-3-3 thing. I think 4-5-1 is more realistic but today, there FBs were so lax we really did play 4-3-3.

I thought the positioning of Anita and Sissoko was key today. They were always close to each other and always in a line. Very good platform. When the Villa tried to play through our middle they would look up and see those 2 just occupying the space they needed. Forced to play bad balls which we largely lapped up. I wasn't expecting that degree of tactical discipline from our lot so was delighted to see it.

Actually, you can take a hell of a lot from today's game. He's a safety first manager, no doubt, but he's shown that he's comfortable going for it when he trusts his team. I'm not saying he's an all-out attacking manager but we saw his mentality today, he's fine to go for it when he feels confident. This was an awkward fixture to predict as they've played better than their results suggest (due to opposition), he deserves credit for being ballsy enough to go there and look to beat them at their own game.

said all last season we were unbalanced, missing the remy/aubameyang type we were seemingly after. now we have that the pattern seems to have changed. I'll give it a month or two with the current squad before wondering if thats what pardew wanted to do but didnt have the personnel.