Alan Pardew

Mike

The fact he now has pundits on tv like last night being utterly baffled about how poor we are defensively, picking apart basic stuff like team shape and how it was the opposite to what Pardew had said pre-match etc. I think that will start to help sway those that haven't figured out for themselves yet that he is a poor manager.

It is definitely happening more often, the spotlight is starting to be turned on him more. He's luckily that there's always a bigger managerial story around really. Moyes, Di Canio, Jol etc take up all the column inches at the moment.

Guest neesy111

Think the tide in the press is turning very rapidly on AP now.

I saw a tweet from someone last night (Mark Duffy) who said the press are ready to put knives into Pardew now.

I saw a tweet from someone last night (Mark Duffy) who said the press are ready to put knives into Pardew now.

Did they get a green light from the press ombudsman or something?

Did they get a green light from the press ombudsman or something?

I haven't seen anyone speak badly about him in the press.

He has had such a easy ride the media have sucked up his multitude of excuses.

Albeit only 6 games in, we are playing worse than last season (actually and statistically) and currently sit in 16th, where we finished last season, with no Europa or extra games in the summer as an excuse.

Stats:

Average Goals Scored Per Game: 

2011/2012  1.47

2012/2013  1.18

2013/2014  1.17

Average Goals Conceded Per Game:

2011/2012  1.34

2012/2013  1.79

2013/2014  1.83  (at this rate nearly 70 goals over a season!)

All the stats are going in the wrong direction.  Surely its only a matter of time.

We've had a lot of stats thrown at us recently and none of them have meant a damned thing because they took only a small part of the game in isolation.  The point of this game is to score more goals than the opposition and ultimately get more points than the opposition.

I hate stats, they just don't show the full picture of a complex dance which is a football match.  Over time, as the sample size increases, there may be broad conclusions you can draw from the raw numbers taken in concert with each other but they will never replace what you see with your own eyes.  We are football fans, not mathematicians.  Numbers can never replicate the depth of understanding we get from just watching a game.

How do you blend together a stat on long balls played with shots on target with aerial duels won with tackles made in the defensive third with number of corners with pass completion with number of offsides with number of foul throws with number of dogs on the pitch?

You can't.  And yet that's what we do every time we watch a game.  There is no number that can tell you the picture yet there are hundreds of thousands of fans who have assessed every little thing you have calculated and more, blended them in a way you will never be able to and reached a conclusion based on all the evidence, not just a select sample.

We don't need numbers to tell us what we're seeing.

What's worrying me is where we go from here. I literally don't have the foggiest as to how he's going to set us up next. He's made a lot of noise this season about looking more offensive and finding a balance, from his sound bites, it seems he thinks that defensive mistakes are simply individual ones and having a more conservative set of attackers and midfielders is what will remedy the issue. There have been individual mistakes, don't get me wrong, but the situation has often been because of a series of errors by a number of players.

He needs to change the style of the side a bit but keep the personnel that we saw against Villa, perhaps stick Taylor in for one of the centre halves. That front trio should never be messed with again (bar Gouffran for Cisse) but I'm not sure whether we'll see it for a while, I think the Hull game might have made him re-think their suitability.

I bet when we finally get rid (please god) their will be no decent managers left available :)

What makes you think we'll appoint a decent manager if one is available?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/154/268/143210259_display_image.jpg?1335054524

What gets me is the total "come on a give it to me baby" first half,bigging up WBA and Cardiff for giving it a go and he does an about turn with us setting out 3 in my eyes defensive midfielders and switching HBA to left side to keep an eye on Baines while our first choice defensive line up show how not to defend in 45 mins.He is all thats wrong with this club a spineless weak man with no backbone  and no tactical know how ,he said in the summer we gave teams too much respect and yet he reverted to type again yesterday being so afraid of defeat he puts a negativer team out with zero creation until second half  :rant:

That first half yesterday......Jesus. Our defending was beyond contempt. Up front I can almost forgive AP for starting HBA on the left, it did put him up against their weaker full back (who played a blinder as it turned out). But when Baines picked up an early yellow card there was a god given opportunity for AP to at least try and swap HBA to our right and let him have a run at Baines, who had no lifelines left. But f*ck it  he didn't... 

That first half yesterday......Jesus. Our defending was beyond contempt. Up front I can almost forgive AP for starting HBA on the left, it did put him up against their weaker full back (who played a blinder as it turned out). But when Baines picked up an early yellow card there was a god given opportunity for AP to at least try and swap HBA to our right and let him have a run at Baines, who had no lifelines left. But f*ck it  he didn't... 

I said to my mate that it was the right time to swap the wingers over, it was definitely worth doing once Baines was booked.

Guest TheGreatBeardo

The reason Ben Arfa was switched to the opposite side to Baines wasn't because Baines is a better defender though, it was because Baines is a better attacker.

Guest bimpy474

Isn't this something that sums Pardew up, he doesn't see those sort of things. That's why he gets called limited all the time.

The reason Ben Arfa was switched to the opposite side to Baines wasn't because Baines is a better defender though, it was because Baines is a better attacker.

You may well be right, I don't think any of us know for sure what the thinking was. But I still suggest that once Baines got the early yellow card there was an opportunity to put some additional pressure on him by sticking HBA on our right flank.

Guest TheGreatBeardo

You may well be right, I don't think any of us know for sure what the thinking was. But I still suggest that once Baines got the early yellow card there was an opportunity to put some additional pressure on him by sticking HBA on our right flank.

It's a fair point, especially since it clearly wasn't working the way we had started the game. It might even have helped stop Baines getting forward so much if he had to worry about Ben Arfa going in the other direction. But I don't think it was too bad a decision to leave Ben Arfa over on the left after the way we have been defending on that right side recently, and considering how good Baines has been going forward recently.

Albeit only 6 games in, we are playing worse than last season (actually and statistically) and currently sit in 16th, where we finished last season, with no Europa or extra games in the summer as an excuse.

Stats:

Average Goals Scored Per Game: 

2011/2012  1.47

2012/2013  1.18

2013/2014  1.17

Average Goals Conceded Per Game:

2011/2012  1.34

2012/2013  1.79

2013/2014  1.83  (at this rate nearly 70 goals over a season!)

All the stats are going in the wrong direction.  Surely its only a matter of time.

We've had a lot of stats thrown at us recently and none of them have meant a damned thing because they took only a small part of the game in isolation.  The point of this game is to score more goals than the opposition and ultimately get more points than the opposition.

I hate stats, they just don't show the full picture of a complex dance which is a football match.  Over time, as the sample size increases, there may be broad conclusions you can draw from the raw numbers taken in concert with each other but they will never replace what you see with your own eyes.  We are football fans, not mathematicians.  Numbers can never replicate the depth of understanding we get from just watching a game.

How do you blend together a stat on long balls played with shots on target with aerial duels won with tackles made in the defensive third with number of corners with pass completion with number of offsides with number of foul throws with number of dogs on the pitch?

You can't.  And yet that's what we do every time we watch a game.  There is no number that can tell you the picture yet there are hundreds of thousands of fans who have assessed every little thing you have calculated and more, blended them in a way you will never be able to and reached a conclusion based on all the evidence, not just a select sample.

We don't need numbers to tell us what we're seeing.

I complete agree. However the numbers don't lie either, they confirm what we are seeing. Things are going south and the useless manager we have, who likes stats btw, cannot see it or more importantly do anything about it.

Yes there are thousands of fans that see it and only a minority who are prepared to stand up and say anything about it. Unless of course you frequent places like this where opinion is more aligned to mine and yours shared belief we are fucking shit, up shit creak and have no paddle.

'Mr Newcastle' has been speaking to the media....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-manager-alan-pardew-knows-2328080?

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew 'knows he's on borrowed time and sack is inevitable'

1 Oct 2013 22:30

Supporters' group spokesman and fanzine editor Steve Wraith claims Toon Army expect director of football Kinnear to take over

Alan Pardew is on borrowed time at Newcastle – and knows it, according to one influential Magpies fan.

Steve Wraith, the spokesman for the NUFC Fans United Group and editor of the club's No.9 fanzine, claims Pardew believes it is "inevitable" that director of football Joe Kinnear will take over as the Toon's manager.

Newcastle were awful in the first half as they lost 3-2 to Everton on Monday, and a third successive league defeat - against Cardiff on Saturday - could spell the end of Pardew's three-year reign at St James’ Park.

Who'll be the next Prem boss sacked? Place your bets HERE with Paddy Power

Wraith claims his fellow fans feel sacking the manager would be unfair, because of the way owner Mike Ashley undermined him this summer by bringing back ex-boss Kinnear in a new job.

“There is more support for Alan Pardew now than there was at the end of last season, when many wanted him out,” said Wraith.

“They feel he has been ­undermined and the Joe Kinnear situation has made it inevitable he will replace him as manager.

“I don’t think Pardew would argue with that assessment - and I am privy to certain conversations he has had with certain people.

“Pardew knows he’s on borrowed time and if results continue to go pear-shaped, there’s only one man who’s going to get his job.

“Kinnear approached Mick Harford in the summer to be his assistant - who ever heard of a director of football having an assistant?

“That was Joe’s way of telling us what is going to happen. It just seems inevitable and Pardew does not deserve to be treated like this.”

Catalogue of errors: Ashley and Kinnear bought no players this summer

Kinnear denied earlier in the season that he was waiting in the wings to replace Pardew, who is just a year into an eight-year contract.

He told Mirror Sport in August: “We are working together – not plotting against each other. There seems to be a perception outside the club that we are at loggerheads, but I don’t know why people jump on the bandwagon because it is a false picture.”

Wraith claims Kinnear and Ashley must accept their share of the blame for Newcastle’s plight, because of the lack of investment in new players this summer.

“The team spent most of last season battling relegation, but the only player brought in during the summer was Loic Remy on loan,” he said.

“You can’t just blame one person in Pardew. It’s a job lot.”

I wouldn't criticise Pardew too much over playing Ben Arfa on the left, he's left footed and he's got all the tools to do a fantastic job there. The problem was he switched everyone else around to accommodate that move. So Gouffran ended up playing a Jonas role on the right wing, with Remy isolated up front. But really the forwards were not the problem, the defence and midfield were like rabbits caught in the headlights. They couldn't get near the Everton players because we sat back and allowed them to ping it all around us. No one seemed to have any idea of what their role was supposed to be.

Guest Slippery Sam

I'm absolutely terrified about what might happen should our rubbish manager deservedly get the sack. It's not a good feeling.

Should Pardew get the boot, we have a couple of worries.  Firstly, the probability of Kinnear taking over.  Secondly, if the swearyman doesn't take the job, we have to find a manager who would be happy to work with/under him; which makes the first scenario that much more likely. Frightening indeed.