Alan Pardew

Mike

On the pitch he's had his failings, and will have more, but there's 8 clubs below us that have had more transfer funds than Pardew has.

That doesn't, I take it, factor in the inherited value of their respective squads? Or, more relevantly, their current market value?

Of course. We should expect to be above them because of that.  But how many clubs above us have a less valuable squad? 

Just Hull and Southampton?

Genuine question; in your view, is Graham Carr a help or a hindrance to Alan Pardew?

I think Graeme Carr's brilliance has been over-hyped. 

A few of his signings have grown in value, but none more than the likes of Michu or Benteke.  Have any of his signings been consistent enough?  Have any other clubs come in with breathtaking offers for them?  Cabaye attracted some interest to be a bench warmer at Arsenal.

No doubt though, he has identified players good enough for this league at prices lower than other clubs have been going out and spending, which I think Pardew should be very grateful for.

Depends on your perspective; is Carr bringing in only value for money players, do these fit with Pardew's outlined needs ...insert argument about brit cloggers against technical frenchies etc..etc.. (do we know this is true? or are these are own suppositions)

My own opinion is that Carr is in the middle, he brings in players that perhaps aren't exactly what Percy wants but that 110% definitely fit with ashley's business model.

At the end of the day Ashley pays Carr's wages. we all know Ashley wants to bring Unknowns/end of contract/conflcitive geniuses to Newcastle that all have great potential sell on values. His end game isn't Percy's end game...

I do feel a little for Pardew, he will probably ask for an exact player type and will receive something similar but not always what he was looking for. This could be harder than we think to make them gel/fit into his team or his philosophies (see Marveaux).

On the pitch he's had his failings, and will have more, but there's 8 clubs below us that have had more transfer funds than Pardew has.

That doesn't, I take it, factor in the inherited value of their respective squads? Or, more relevantly, their current market value?

Of course. We should expect to be above them because of that.  But how many clubs above us have a less valuable squad? 

Genuine question; in your view, is Graham Carr a help or a hindrance to Alan Pardew?

A few of his signings have grown in value, but none more than the likes of Michu or Benteke.  Have any of his signings been consistent enough?  Have any other clubs come in with breathtaking offers for them?  Cabaye attracted some interest to be a bench warmer at Arsenal.

No doubt though, he has identified players good enough for this league at prices lower than other clubs have been going out and spending, which I think Pardew should be very grateful for.

Pardew makes players worse. Very unfair to point the finger at Carr for buying players with extremely good pedigree that the manager is then unable to get the best out of.

Pardew makes players worse. Very unfair to point the finger at Carr for buying players with extremely good pedigree that the manager is then unable to get the best out of.

:clap:

If only there was some senior figure, in charge of and accountable for the playing staff. Whose remit it would be to get the very best out of the players at his disposal in exchange for handsome remuneration.

Thought he got more out of Ba for us than Mourinho has done at Chelsea.

If only there was some senior figure, in charge of and accountable for the playing staff. Whose remit it would be to get the very best out of the players at his disposal in exchange for handsome remuneration.

:lol: :thup:

The players and manager will all be on bonuses for league placement I would imagine. Although any player who earns 2 or 3 million a year will probably not be bothered about a win bonus shared between 25 players...

In terms of value i think it is quite a balanced arguement.

Cabaye is good value

Does Anita look good value? (think he may go on to but he isn't yet, £6.7M for a guy we've barely played)

Santon looks ok value wise

Does Debuchey look good value?

HBA was good value

Does Cisse look good value?

Tiote looked good value, now though?

MYM, may well go on to be good value, at the moment, not quite the CB we needed.

Just a few examples.

I think my point was more along the lines of, does Graham Carr identify players that Pardew can use the way he wants to? It's seems quite clear that the players the club is buying don't really fit in with the way Pardew wants us to play. I know some may say that's a good thing but in truth it never can be.

Depends on your perspective; is Carr bringing in only value for money players, do these fit with Pardew's outlined needs ...insert argument about brit cloggers against technical frenchies etc..etc.. (do we know this is true? or are these are own suppositions)

My own opinion is that Carr is in the middle, he brings in players that perhaps aren't exactly what Percy wants but that 110% definitely fit with ashley's business model.

At the end of the day Ashley pays Carr's wages. we all know Ashley wants to bring Unknowns/end of contract/conflcitive geniuses to Newcastle that all have great potential sell on values. His end game isn't Percy's end game...

I do feel a little for Pardew, he will probably ask for an exact player type and will receive something similar but not always what he was looking for. This could be harder than we think to make them gel/fit into his team or his philosophies (see Marveaux).

To be honest, Pardew is being given quality players and (because he has agreed to work under Ashley's restrictions) he needs to just adapt and get the best out of them.

I understand the logic in saying lets keep Pardew as he is the least worst option for the club. I don't agree with that but I understand it. The simple fact of the matter that if you take him as a manager in isolation he is not good enough to manage this club.

By all means keep him in the job as the 'safe' option. But lets not pretend he's a good manager.

If someone of his relative ability was a player constantly in our XI as opposed to the man in charge of them then everybody would be wanting him out of team and as far away from it as possible.

The players and manager will all be on bonuses for league placement I would imagine. Although any player who earns 2 or 3 million a year will probably not be bothered about a win bonus shared between 25 players...

If only there was some senior figure, in charge of and accountable for the playing staff who had the responsibility to motivate players.

Finding a manager equipped to bring us long term success is what we should demand, but not expect from the toad in charge. That's quite a difficult thing to do, as it should be in top level sport.

Finding a better manager than Alan Pardew? The man was still on the way down to his natural level after being sacked by Saints. You could literally put a pin in the Championship table and come up trumps if that's all you're after. It would be so so easy.

If that's your view of his level then aye, it's hard to argue against that point of view. If you think any randomly-selected manager would be better than I guess you can't lose.

I don't like his off the pitch negativity or his occasional cowardice on it and I'd be delighted to see someone better come in and single handedly drag us up to the top table, though question just how realistic that is. I certainly find it difficult to agree that Pardew is worse than shit and almost anyone is an automatic upgrade.

He's proved he's good enough to keep the players happy, get us top 8 without much backing, and may even be even capable of getting himself to another cup final. That's not the worst I've seen from a manager for us, and he has this season to prove that last season was an aberration. If he can't do that, he's gone,  and he should be gone by the new year if we are near the bottom and out of the cups. I can't imagine even Ashley's patience would last longer than that, never mind the rest of us.

That said, whatever he does, the state of this thread will not improve. It'll drag on and on in a death spiral until the fucker is binned and the next poor sap takes over.

Rinse and repeat.

I think my point was more along the lines of, does Graham Carr identify players that Pardew can use the way he wants to? It's seems quite clear that the players the club is buying don't really fit in with the way Pardew wants us to play. I know some may say that's a good thing but in truth it never can be.

There is no correlation whatsoever between the needs of the team/squad and the players we buy.  it's just not part of the criteria that we would go and chase strikers and pay an extra million or two to make sure we had the position covered.

But Pardew knew that when he took the job and has never once complained about it.

Interested to hear examples of players that Pardew has ruined?

Wouldn't say he ruins players, he just doesn't get enough of them playing to their maximum potential, holds them back somewhat.

The most frustration seems to be about Ben Arfa, but at Newcastle he's outdone his performance at either of his previous clubs in terms of end product.  I think he's frustrating more than anyone else around him.

Cabaye's slotted back in to the team putting in man of the match shows following what could have been a disastrous transfer fandango.  The most frustrating thing with him is his woeful corners.  Perhaps 1 day a week should be spent on corner routines to ensure we get a runner in front of the near post defender because Cabaye seems incapable of beating him.  Or we should play them short. But I don't buy into the massive importance of scoring from corners that everyone else does.

All the new signings are finding their feet in a new league so think it's harsh to judge them.

Coloccini has made mistakes but still looks largely class if whoever he's alongside isn't totally losing the plot.

Santon is still a bairn and needs to get the attack/defend balance right.

Cisse has been provided better this season than he was all last season, he has failed to convert the chances he should be scoring.

Anita has looked better than Tiote and kept Tiote out of the team temporarily.  Which seemed to be the kick up the arse Tiote needed in the first half against Cardiff which was his best no-nonsense display in months...but which he failed to keep up for the full 90 minutes.

Remy has been a beast....

Pardew's win column for us has more to do with a handful of players individual brilliance.  He hasn't actually out managing or tactically beat the other team/manager save for a handful of matches, with the majority of those coming in the 5th place season.

He deserves to be sacked, Newcastle United shouldn't be where it is, even with the current state of ownership & "board"

There is no correlation whatsoever between the needs of the team/squad and the players we buy.  it's just not part of the criteria that we would go and chase strikers and pay an extra million or two to make sure we had the position covered.

But Pardew knew that when he took the job and has never once complained about it.

Why would he complain about, it's not like he's going to get a job as high profile or working with this calibre of player again in his lifetime.

As for Carr being overhyped, Ashley could always sack him and let Kinnear or Pardew identify some cloggers and see if their value holds up. I don't see him rushing to sack Carr any time soon though.

Why would he complain about, it's not like he's going to get a job as high profile or working with this calibre of player again in his lifetime.

Do you reckon Pardew's stock in the football world is higher or lower than when he got the job with us?  Genuine question.

As for Carr being overhyped, Ashley could always sack him and let Kinnear or Pardew identify some cloggers and see if their value holds up. I don't see him rushing to sack Carr any time soon though.

Not suggesting Carr should be sacked.  He's done a fine job at what he's asked to do.  But I'm not aware of any other club scouts getting interviewed for telly and radio and getting write ups in the US press for revolutionising scouting.