Paços de Ferreira 1-1 Newcastle United (FT) - post game discussion from page 33

RodneyCisse

A much improved second half performance. We controlled large stints, but noticeable lack of attacking menace.

Tiote should stick to the simple passing game (give the ball to someone with passing ability) - nearly every one of his 'attacking' passes were intercepted or just given away. He was a work horse in midfield, so the other aspects of his game (apart from at the end when almost gifted them a goal) were good for pre-season.

I thought Jonas actually had a good game - seemed sharp, but would he do it in the PL? Probably not.

Solid at the back during the second half and Santon impressed me with his attacking and he was solid in defence.

Haris impressed me - looking forward to an injury free season - hopefully!

Shame Campbell didn't get more of a run out - hope Gouf is Ok!

Not going to mention the first half and player performances - really no point and I don't want to focus on the obvious negatives. Although has to be said that Pardew had a few players playing in the wrong positions - needs to choose the set positions and get the players to focus on improving their game from those positions.

Sammy looks almost half as talented as Shola did at 21, by the way. What a bonus that is. Think what he'll be like in 11 years.

He's got some good skill on the ball but very little else. Couple of times today where he beat someone and then ballsed up simple passes.

Played better almost 100% better when Cabaye went off.

Completely agree and i also felt the change in system suits the team a lot better than the 4-2-3-1 does.

Personally i don't see how Cabaye and Tiote can work as a "2" if you are going to persist with the 4-2-3-1 then one of them has to be omitted from the line up IMO.

But as i said if we can get a couple of strikers in i'd be tempted to switch to a diamond 4-4-2, you could say the fullbacks could be exploited but that is easily prevented IMO.

First half was a car crash and I don't think anyone in it benefited from the run out at all. Ben Arfa and Sissoko in particular. Hatem barely got the ball at all in that postion and Sissoko looks far from comfortable on the wing.

Stop fucking around with players best positions Pardew you twat.

Played better almost 100% better when Cabaye went off.

Completely agree and i also felt the change in system suits the team a lot better than the 4-2-3-1 does.

Personally i don't see how Cabaye and Tiote can work as a "2" if you are going to persist with the 4-2-3-1 then one of them has to be omitted from the line up IMO.

But as i said if we can get a couple of strikers in i'd be tempted to switch to a diamond 4-4-2, you could say the fullbacks could be exploited but that is easily prevented IMO.

I think 4-3-3 suits us best of all even with Jonas in there. We started to look better with Marv on. We need Tiote sitting with Cabaye and Sissokho either side or Anita. Ben Arfa on Right, Someone other than Jonas/Oberwank on left and Cisse or another up front (Not shola).

4-2-3-1 would probably work if the 3 attacking midfielders had good movement and the centre could link up the play. We don't appear to have the players for that, although Vuckic may be capable long term

4-2-3-1 with Remy on the left, HBA on the right, Marveaux in the middle and Cisse/Gouffran up front would be good. Not with the Ameobi dicks taking up 2 spots and Sissoko on the wing though.

Maybe it would. Would like us to get players on the wing that drive forward with the ball and make full backs work like fuck. Need a lot more creativity on wings

4-2-3-1 with Remy on the left, HBA on the right, Marveaux in the middle and Cisse/Gouffran up front would be good. Not with the Ameobi dicks taking up 2 spots and Sissoko on the wing though.

Lots of ifs though..... i would just scrap it altogether and switch to 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2. ( we played 4-3-2 in the second half so it must be in the back of his mind at least)

Guest bimpy474

4-3-3

Debuchy, Colo, Saylor or Mapou, Santon

Sissoko, Cabaye and Marv

Remy, Cisse or Gomis, Ben Arfa.

Is how i'd play.

Lots of ifs though..... i would just scrap it altogether and switch to 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2. ( we played 4-3-2 in the second half so it must be in the back of his mind at least)

Any combination that includes 3 central midfielders works for me, Tiote also better with that. 2 centre midfielders causes us no end of problems. 4-2-3-1 became popular a few years ago but can produce horrendous football if you don't have the right players to work within it. Worked for Man City but even they found it tough last season.

Lots of ifs indeed, but we'd be 1000 times better than tonight. We'd have 3 players capable of dribbling with a football in tight spaces and doing something with it and a striker with some movement and the ability to link up with team-mates.

4-3-3

Sissoko, Cabaye and Marv

Is how i'd play.

4-3-3

Sissoko, Cabaye and Marv

Is how i'd play.

Think we still need a Tiote type in the centre of the 3, just behind two more attacking midfielders - Cabaye and Sissokho would be my choice

Guest bimpy474

4-3-3

Sissoko, Cabaye and Marv

Is how i'd play.

4-3-3

Sissoko, Cabaye and Marv

Is how i'd play.

Think we still need a Tiote type in the centre of the 3, just behind two more attacking midfielders - Cabaye and Sissokho would be my choice

I dont think we do, can you think of a good team in the top 5 or 6 who have a tackle as Pardew puts it.

Tiote and Cabaye isn't an ideal partnership but they'd be OK with 4 players ahead of them willing to move about and take control of a football. Sammy and Shola are nowhere near the level required and Sissoko shouldn't be on the wing, he doesn't move enough to get himself in the game from there.

4-2-3-1 works for a lot of clubs because they have pace and creativity in advanced positions and they press the ball high up the pitch.

We have none of that.

True, in this formation we just look lost, very static and lose the ball easy. No passing or movement at all and very side to side or diagonal, looks garbage to watch

4-3-3

Sissoko, Cabaye and Marv

Is how i'd play.

4-3-3

Sissoko, Cabaye and Marv

Is how i'd play.

I dont think we do, can you think of a good team in the top 5 or 6 who have a tackle as Pardew puts it.

No but they have good tactical players, not sure we have players that are good tactically and disciplined which is why we need that type. May be worth a try but requires us to be a lot better at closing down off the ball

With what we've got currently, I'd go:

Krul

Debuchy - Mapou - Colo - Santon

Sissoko - Anita - Cabaye

HBA - Marveaux

Cisse

Crying out for a 4-1-4-1 tbh.

Tiote sitting. Cabaye and Sissoko in the middle, Ben Arfa one side, Gouffran the other with Cisse on the last man. Just move the midfield 10 yards forward and get on the front foot.