NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Brazilianbob

The best I can think of as a poacher at Newcastle was Alan Gowling, he was lifting as a player.  He did nothing but steal into the box and get on the end of another players work but contributed nothing to our game.

Sounds like Nolan. A midfield poacher is rare.

How on earth anyone can liken Alan Gowling to Nolan is beyond belief.  Granted when we signed Gowling from Man U, he was a reserve midfielder, but we converted him to a striker and he scored a phenomenal number of goals in fact only Andy Cole beat his record of scoring more than 40 goals in one season, as I recall

Guest pont-toon

The best I can think of as a poacher at Newcastle was Alan Gowling, he was lifting as a player.  He did nothing but steal into the box and get on the end of another players work but contributed nothing to our game.

How on earth anyone can liken Alan Gowling to Nolan is beyond belief.  Granted when we signed Gowling from Man U, he was a reserve midfielder, but we converted him to a striker and he scored a phenomenal number of goals in fact only Andy Cole beat his record of scoring more than 40 goals in one season, as I recall

I was only a nippa but remember Gowling as gash in a Shola kind of way. Certainly didnt bang them in like Andy Cole and dont think he was signed from Man Utd

He only scored 30 goals in total for us according to Wikipedia.

Gowling was a clumsy, gangling type of player, but he was paired with Supermac up front by Gordon Lee in 75-76. They proved to be a devastating partnership and took us to the LCF that season as well as the QFs of the FAC. Gowling got our first goal very early on after beating the o/s trap in the home leg of the SF of the LC against Spurs and frankly, there is little comparison with Nolan. Nolan was more of a poacher than Gowling who was an out and out CF when playing for us...he was awkward for defenders because of his tall gangling body . Nolan's type of role in the 76 team was held by Geoff Nulty, the skipper who made runs from m/f and got quite a few goals that way. Nulty's absence, through flu, probably cost us the LC.

He only scored 30 goals in total for us according to Wikipedia.

Yes, he and Supermac got over 50 between them that season.

I was only a nippa but remember Gowling as gash in a Shola kind of way. Certainly didnt bang them in like Andy Cole and dont think he was signed from Man Utd

He was at least twice the players Shola is.....he looked awkward but was far more effective, but Cole was a far more dangerous striker over several seasons during his career...Gowling never bettered his goals return at NUFC anywhere else during his career, either after or before he joined us.

He was at least twice the players Shola is.....he looked awkward but was far more effective, but Cole was a far more dangerous striker over several seasons during his career...Gowling never bettered his goals return at NUFC anywhere else during his career, either after or before he joined us.

My memory of Gowling is that you could always rely on him for 100% effort, and to at least try and make all the right decisions on the pitch. Unfortunately, he didn't have much in the way of talent - though what he had, he stretched to the limit.

Given you would really have to be at least 45 to have seen him regularly and Jack Flash is going off a description someone else gave is it really beyond belief?  :D

The other thing I can remember about Gowling was that in the 1960s he actually played for Man United when he was still a University student and was registered as an amateur.

Not something that's likely to happen today.

Given you would really have to be at least 45 to have seen him regularly and Jack Flash is going off a description someone else gave is it really beyond belief?  :D

Nobody should take anyone else's view on a player as correct unless they have also seen the player for themselves...its like me trying to give my opinion on Hughie Gallacher when I was far too young to know what he was like - I wouldn't even though others have said he was brilliant.

Nobody should take anyone else's view on a player as correct unless they have also seen the player for themselves...its like me trying to give my opinion on Hughie Gallacher when I was far too young to know what he was like - I wouldn't even though others have said he was brilliant.

All he said was "Sounds like Nolan" ffs. :lol: It's not like he was making out he knew what that player was all about.

Guest Brazilianbob

. Well I am 62 and was a season ticket holder so yes i did see a lot of Alan Gowling

That post has so much wrong with it.  :lol:

Always does my head in when we get linked with keepers. We've had great keepers, and decent back up ever since I've followed the toon.

We DON'T need a goalkeeper!!

Unless of course we expect interest in Krul, which isn't a silly assumption.