NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yes, he and Supermac got over 50 between them that season.

Gowling was s**** man, he had one season of living off Macdonald then reverted to type once Macdonald left for Arsenal.

Had a good season immediately after Supermac left in the good Gordon Lee season.

A question for the more tactically astute - but if we had a keeper with not as good shot stopping but better distribution -- how drastically would our results change? I seem to feel like it wouldn't do a single thing: 1) we'd possibly let in say, for example, 1 more goal. 2) a keeper's better distribution would lead to more frequent chances to score, so that's a positive, but that still doesn't guarantee we'll be a better team.

Right?

A question for the more tactically astute - but if we had a keeper with not as good shot stopping but better distribution -- how drastically would our results change? I seem to feel like it wouldn't do a single thing: 1) we'd possibly let in say, for example, 1 more goal. 2) a keeper's better distribution would lead to more frequent chances to score, so that's a positive, but that still doesn't guarantee we'll be a better team.

Right?

I think keepers distribution is overrated a little at times tbh. Elliot is probably the best I can remember, Given's was pretty abysmal but he was an outstanding keeper.

I wouldn't say there are many out there who are great, that's why the play in goal  :D

Right?

I think keepers distribution is overrated a little at times tbh. Elliot is probably the best I can remember, Given's was pretty abysmal but he was an outstanding keeper.

I wouldn't say there are many out there who are great, that's why the play in goal  :D

Aye it's a very difficult thing to quantify, but at the basic level having a 'keeper with excellent distribution can be a superb weapon for counter attacks while providing a base for a possession-based tactic too. Typically you'll see the bigger sides placing a high value on this sort of GK.

I'd suggest having a good shot stopper is obviously more important if you tend to be a side who allow more attempts on goal, or one who has little interest in using the 'keeper in an attacking sense.

In terms of NUFC: the difference to us would probably be as minimal as you suggest, given that we're not the most tactically astute side by a long chalk and we don't really have any set style of playing anyway.

Interestingly (or not) I just watched Napoli this weekend and Reina was huge for them in this regard, while Genoa built much of their defensive gameplan around stopping him from being effective. They positioned themselves high up the field to cut off his short routes into the defenders and tried to force him to kick long out of his hands wherever possible, though this obviously left more space for Napoli's midfielders and attackers further up the pitch as a knock-on effect. He still managed to create a chance on goal by claiming a set piece and then quickly bombing a kick forward for Insigne, IIRC.

Right?

Aye it's a very difficult thing to quantify, but at the basic level having a 'keeper with excellent distribution can be a superb weapon for counter attacks while providing a base for a possession-based tactic too. Typically you'll see the bigger sides placing a high value on this sort of GK.

I'd suggest having a good shot stopper is obviously more important if you tend to be a side who allow more attempts on goal, or one who has little interest in using the 'keeper in an attacking sense.

In terms of NUFC: the difference to us would probably be as minimal as you suggest, given that we're not the most tactically astute side by a long chalk and we don't really have any set style of playing anyway.

Interestingly (or not) I just watched Napoli this weekend and Reina was huge for them in this regard, while Genoa built much of their defensive gameplan around stopping him from being effective. They positioned themselves high up the field to cut off his short routes into the defenders and tried to force him to kick long out of his hands wherever possible, though this obviously left more space for Napoli's midfielders and attackers further up the pitch as a knock-on effect. He still managed to create a chance on goal by claiming a set piece and then quickly bombing a kick forward for Insigne, IIRC.

Reina was actually on my mind when typing that, one of the rare keepers that I have actually noticed their distribution (for good reasons).

'FLASH: Francois Hollande's 75% tax on Ligue 1 footballers will go ahead, it has be announced. Very controversial decision. #LFP #Ligue1'

Guessing this will mean a lot of players leaving Ligue 1 soon? More for us to be linked with no doubt...

'FLASH: Francois Hollande's 75% tax on Ligue 1 footballers will go ahead, it has be announced. Very controversial decision. #LFP #Ligue1'

Guessing this will mean a lot of players leaving Ligue 1 soon? More for us to be linked with no doubt...

Yep no chance the likes of Gomis will be staying in france for instance.

On 56k per week at Lyon right now (apparently), which is the same as £52k per week here.  Once the new tax comes in they'd need to pay him 125k per week to give him the same take home pay :o

Right?

Reina was actually on my mind when typing that, one of the rare keepers that I have actually noticed their distribution (for good reasons).

Cheers, thanks Caj and Rich. :thup:

Zaha wants to join us on loan in January if you believe the latest rumours. Surprised he has yet to play even a minute for Manure yet.

I thought at first he was a really good prospect. He seems to have gone backwards this last year.

Good athlete but technically deficient. That's how he looks to me now.

Because he isn't very good.

Or he's, I dunno, young.

Nah he's not very good.... i saw him a lot over last couple of years at Palace and not on Youtube like everyone else.

His hype is not justified, he was not even the best winger in the Championship during his time at Palace.

Its not something i have just decided to come up with because he plays for Man Yoo either, never rated him.

Zaha wants to join us on loan in January if you believe the latest rumours. Surprised he has yet to play even a minute for Manure yet.

I thought at first he was a really good prospect. He seems to have gone backwards this last year.

You could just admit you didn't watch him and fell for the hype mate.

Or he's, I dunno, young.

Nah he's not very good.... i saw him a lot over last couple of years at Palace and not on Youtube like everyone else.

His hype is not justified, he was not even the best winger in the Championship during his time at Palace.

Its not something i have just decided to come up with because he plays for Man Yoo either, never rated him.

No, but I will admit to not being a perfect judge of a player and now and then I'll make the wrong call.

Happens to us all.  ;)

Or he's, I dunno, young.

No, but I will admit to not being a perfect judge of a player and now and then I'll make the wrong call.

Happens to us all.  ;)

That it does :thup: I'm in a sarcy mood tonight.  :)

Cronky's a man of integrity, fwiw.

He's absolutely full of shite that bears no relation to reality, to give some balance. This forum's David Pleat.

Well I think Ronny's closer to it (thanks, mate), but people can make their own mind up about that.

PS - I think Pleat is one of the better pundits, FWIW.

Or he's, I dunno, young.

Piss off. You did NOT watch a lot of Crystal Palace. Someday I'm going to catch you man, you seem to have watched every game, even four games played at the same time :lol: