The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

He got Leeds from perpetual Championship bottlers to getting promoted and being the most exciting team to watch in the Premier League. Coming unstuck now doesn't change any of that.

I wouldn’t say they’re the most exciting team, other than they have conceded the most goals in a single month. 

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

He got Leeds from perpetual Championship bottlers to getting promoted and being the most exciting team to watch in the Premier League. Coming unstuck now doesn't change any of that.

Fergie was a shite manager after they lost 5-0 and 6-3 to Southampton in 1996 don't you know.

18 minutes ago, HUGZ said:

Leeds fans are gutted, which should tell us everything we need to know.

He brought some glamour and big time back to Leeds, I enjoyed watching it. I think he was too big time for the owners at the end of the day.

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

I know. But folk are going on about Bielsa like it’s the second coming of Keegan. I don’t see the attraction in all honesty. 

Literally no one has said that, or anything close to it :lol:

If you can't see the attraction of someone getting a medoicre championship tram promoted to finishing in the top 10 in their first season in the Premier league while playing very entertaining football, I don't understand why you even bother with the sport tbh :lol:

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

Literally no one has said that, or anything close to it :lol:

If you can't see the attraction of someone getting a medoicre championship tram promoted to finishing in the top 10 in their first season in the Premier league while playing very entertaining football, I don't understand why you even bother with the sport tbh :lol:

Condescending much? It’s my opinion. Plus see the comment above. It’s very close to it. 

Edited by Manxst

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

They seem to be. “The most exciting team to watch in the premier league”?

Last season, yeah. Not even remotely hyperbolic to say that, pretty commonly held view. Don't think it's anything like saying he's the second coming of Keegan. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Guest neesy111

Bielsea is a manager that brings joy to football and the league's he manages in.  He's flawed at times but when his team's click they are among the most exciting to watch.

I hate how people are quick to jump on managers like him.

Just now, Manxst said:

Condescending much? It’s my opinion. 

Apologies if it came off as condescending, wasn't my intention.

I don't even rate Bielsa particularly highly overall, but he's done an excellent job with Leeds.

All I’m saying is that ‘attack, attack, attack’ means fuck all when you’re about to be relegated and are getting humped every week. A truly world class manager would change things/his philosophy to accommodate the players he has at his disposal. I can see the appeal, and rate the first season he had…but teams have worked out his one dimensional style now, and to me, that’s a failure on his part. 

1 minute ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I felt Leeds' recent decline was less about Bielsa and more about the team, that said though, one of my mates is a Leeds fan and he thinks Bielsa's just lost his magic, maybe been there too long.

He has been there too long tbh. He should be in charge of much better players. It will be interesting to see if the next manager gets as much value out of the same squad, or even improves it on that budget.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I like watching nice football and think him getting Leeds promoted then staying up with the most exciting football in the league is the achievement. Sue iz.

It’s an achievement for any team to be promoted into the premier league and stay there. Much less playing decent attractive football. I’ve got respect for any team and manager that achieves that. But that was last year. This one has been shite imo, as they/Bielsa simply haven’t got a ‘plan B’. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

He has been there too long tbh. He should be in charge of much better players. It will be interesting to see if the next manager gets as much value out of the same squad, or even improves it on that budget.

On the budget? They’ve brought in zero money from player sales and spent a fair amount. 

It totally is a failure but it shouldnt be forgotten that the team was built on a mid championship budget. He overachieved last season this is reversion to where he ought to be. He totally should have spent money to bolster the squad and his tactics are mad and lacking in pragmatism. I just think it's sad when we can't celebrate someone who is totally bonkers with some great ideas but yes very flawed. There's so much money at stake in premier league everything is meant to be super slick and free of eccentricity. Forgive me for enjoying him, and he is a legend because he has had a huge impact on football. We are living with the dominant ideas in football very much influenced by him. There is a reason he has not won anything himself though which feels plain to see now. He has earned respect though. 

Going against the grain clearly, but it just feels like the likes of Bielsa (and Rangnick) are yesterdays men. They initiated great things which the likes of Klopp, Pep

and Poch have taken on, but haven’t grown and evolved with the game like those younger managers have with their ideas. They’ll still get respect for what they do and how they want to play, but going up against other teams and managers with more complete philosophies shows them

up. 

4 minutes ago, Manxst said:

All I’m saying is that ‘attack, attack, attack’ means fuck all when you’re about to be relegated and are getting humped every week. A truly world class manager would change things/his philosophy to accommodate the players he has at his disposal. I can see the appeal, and rate the first season he had…but teams have worked out his one dimensional style now, and to me, that’s a failure on his part. 

He's not "attack attack attack" though. He's quite similar to Klopp, in that he wants his teams to press high up, and with a lot of intensity. 

I would personally disagree with your assessment that a world class manager changes his philosophy to accommodate the players, it's the complete opposite for me. Would you see a Pep, Klopp or Rafa change their philosophies to suit their players? Not a chance. 

He's not a world class manager though, and I don't think anyone would claim that he is. He's a good manager, probably about on par with the likes of Hassenhüttl. His methods are far more entertaining than most other managers though, which is why he's so popular.

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

On the budget? They’ve brought in zero money from player sales and spent a fair amount. 

How much money did he bring in getting Leeds promoted? He could bring in money selling his best players for sure, is that what a Leeds fan would want?

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

How much money did he bring in getting Leeds promoted? He could bring in money selling his best players for sure, is that what a Leeds fan would want?

Not what I’ve said. For the money he’s spent, I’d have disliked being a Leeds fan this past month. As others have said, I think he’s outstayed the position now. 

5 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Going against the grain clearly, but it just feels like the likes of Bielsa (and Rangnick) are yesterdays men. They initiated great things which the likes of Klopp, Pep

and Poch have taken on, but haven’t grown and evolved with the game like those younger managers have with their ideas. They’ll still get respect for what they do and how they want to play, but going up against other teams and managers with more complete philosophies shows them

up. 

Ragnick is doing a pretty terrible job at Man Utd mind.

I feel like every team that play Man U have a great game. They are making it too easy to play against them. We played arguably our best game this season against them, and would have beaten them comfortably had Wilson and ASM stayed on the pitch. 

I am very, very happy we ended up with Howe over Ragnick now like.