Mr Motivator

Lotus

If posters disagree that's all and well and good, it's a discussion!

If someone thinks that Pardew is a good motivator, please state some reasons for thinking that.

Personally, whoever the poster was who raised this (sorry i can't remember the name, sure Dave can) it made me think.

I look at the results, see teams who we should be stronger than but we struggle. Why is that? You can see the effort against 'name' teams. Why not against the less glamorous sides?

If someone thinks that Pardew is a good motivator, please state some reasons for thinking that.

Personally, whoever the poster was who raised this (sorry i can't remember the name, sure Dave can) it made me think.

I look at the results, see teams who we should be stronger than but we struggle. Why is that? You can see the effort against 'name' teams. Why not against the less glamorous sides?

I saw plenty of effort against Norwich, west brom? A lack of quality or urgency at times, but don't remember questioning effort too often.

I saw plenty of effort against Norwich, west brom? A lack of quality or urgency at times, but don't remember questioning effort too often.

Exactly. Not steamrolling other teams at will <> lack of motivation from manager. I find it kind of sad that despite a good start to the season and some excellent performances and results lately, people still see fit to complain about stuff like this.

Just a mentality thing for me, they dont deal well with expectation.

The longer they go without scoring/creating clear chances against the supposed weaker sides the more frustration creeps in. At sunderland they've scored one goal & you have Cabaye flying into tackles, Tiote manhandling his marker & long shots coming in for the next 20 minutes. Wheres the composure?

Similarly we barely ever get anything after conceding first, just to affecting for our players. Pardews doing well recently, but its his responsibility & its our main issue.

You realise that footballers are actually people - albeit overpaid and under educated - and have personality and moods that exist outside of the football bubble?

There are some days I go to work and my boss dangling a couple of grand in front of me couldn't motivate me to the top of my game. Particularly if I'm comfortable and know my job isn't at risk.  :lol:

Pardew probably has about as much to do with motivating our players as my boss does motivating me, ie not a fucking lot.

By the same logic, if he wants to light a fire under them he needs to enlist the help of their wives.*

*Might not be effective with Colo.

Exactly. Not steamrolling other teams at will <> lack of motivation from manager. I find it kind of sad that despite a good start to the season and some excellent performances and results lately, people still see fit to complain about stuff like this.

You've put words in my mouth there, like (if you're still referring to me).

I'm not saying I'm dissatisfied by the way we beat teams - any way is good for me, generally speaking. I'm saying we have a tendency to absolutely fall to pieces and/or not be motivated enough against certain teams. That has definitely happened - and probably will again - even against bang-average opposition. Even in that great season we shipped five goals in a half at Fulham (from a winning position!) I feel that Pardew has a responsibility for such fiascos; for a start he hails us as underdogs in the press and I get the feeling he isn't particularly motivational behind the scenes either. Obviously I can't be certain cos I don't have any transcripts from the dressing room. It's my subjective opinion of him.

Pardew's improved and made some good decisions this season - and I've given him his dues. But I'm not going to completely change my stance on him because we're on a run of excellent results. The thread is about Pardew as a motivator and I think it's a glaring weakness of his, simple as that. I'm not pursuing any agenda by saying that.

Who knew that one of Pardews actual nicknames is ‘Mr Motivator’. Well acording to The Metro website. :lol:

That said, a quick spin on Alta Vista came up with a fair bit to back it up, sometimes by people in the know.

Matt Holland

"He is a strong character... I enjoyed working under him... He is a very good man-manager."

Bob Moncur

"... He is a very good motivator of men."

Luke Varney

"He isn't a ranter and raver by any stretch of the imagination, but his man-management skills are superb."

Danny Mills

"He is very much an all-rounder and I haven't worked with much better. I thoroughly enjoyed playing under Alan on loan because his man-management was good, he was tactically very aware and his coaching was decent."

"He was good with the collective but also very good when it came to dealing with us as individuals."

"He understands players and he understands what players go through. It's great for a player to have someone like Alan around because you have someone who'll listen and talk to you."

Anyway, doesn't strike me as much of an issue really. His players past and present rarely have a bad word to say about him in that respect, and even through the worst times last year, the one thing you could hold onto was the continued feeling that he still had the respect of the dressing room.

Previously it has always been his tactics being held up for ridicule. Now that that view has taken a bit of a knock, the one thing held up as a rare good point is being questioned. :dontknow:

Not saying it's not shit when the team look about as interested in a game as the tories are in the latest Clegg brainwave. It makes no sense to most of us when that happens, but I suspect it's more complex than Pardew failing to gee them up with a pep talk 9 out 0f 10 times.

I believe he's well-liked in this dressing room too. Well see. Jameis sounds like a complete idiot in that game interview. I'd love to see if he actually has any brains at all. Motivating the players ahead of a match is something separate though, imo.

They are separate. Just because you like someone, doesn't mean you'd run through a wall for them.

Pardew seems a great man manager, but he may put too much pressure with his underdog and generally defensive outlook and philosophy on his players; which in turn burdens them on match days and in certain matches makes us fall apart.  It's happened every season under his tenure.

Who knew that one of Pardews actual nicknames is ‘Mr Motivator’. Well acording to The Metro website. :lol:

That said, a quick spin on Alta Vista came up with a fair bit to back it up, sometimes by people in the know.

Matt Holland

"He is a strong character... I enjoyed working under him... He is a very good man-manager."

Bob Moncur

"... He is a very good motivator of men."

Luke Varney

"He isn't a ranter and raver by any stretch of the imagination, but his man-management skills are superb."

Danny Mills

"He is very much an all-rounder and I haven't worked with much better. I thoroughly enjoyed playing under Alan on loan because his man-management was good, he was tactically very aware and his coaching was decent."

"He was good with the collective but also very good when it came to dealing with us as individuals."

"He understands players and he understands what players go through. It's great for a player to have someone like Alan around because you have someone who'll listen and talk to you."

Anyway, doesn't strike me as much of an issue really. His players past and present rarely have a bad word to say about him in that respect, and even through the worst times last year, the one thing you could hold onto was the continued feeling that he still had the respect of the dressing room.

Previously it has always been his tactics being held up for ridicule. Now that that view has taken a bit of a knock, the one thing held up as a rare good point is being questioned. :dontknow:

Not saying it's not s*** when the team look about as interested in a game as the tories are in the latest Clegg brainwave. It makes no sense to most of us when that happens, but I suspect it's more complex than Pardew failing to gee them up with a pep talk 9 out 0f 10 times.

Didn't other players say his relationship with the players was all a bit too close, a bit too buddy buddy and that's what got the side in difficulties?

Think it was John Hartson....

Personally, i think he is liked. That's different though. That's never enough.

:lol: What?

Danny Mills, Luke Varney and Matt Holland... Colossus of the game.

It's colossi. O0