Southampton

bealios

Seems like we have a thread for each of the more hateful clubs around, thought it might be worth having one for a club that seems to be trying to operate a model that Ashley would like to operate, albeit being less twatish about it.

Thought this was an interesting read this morning:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25420261

I know there is always one surprise club each year and the media tend to get excited about it and have a love in, but reading that it does remind me a little bit about what was going on at NUFC in 1992/1993.

Quite depressing that even Southampton operating on a limited budget are asking themselves not "Can they win the league" but "How they win the league". Pie in the sky maybe, but much better to hear than "How can we finish mid table without doing so well that we have to play in that pesky Europa League."

Guest alijmitchell

Lol. Embarrassing thread, we're 3 points above them in the league, take your negativity elsewhere.

Jeez, the man's only trying to have a discussion

Lol. Embarrassing thread, we're 3 points above them in the league, take your negativity elsewhere.

:okay:

That one missed it's mark then.

Not a bad article that actually, as the op said nice to see someone believing you can actually compete without billions of dollars.

It was actually supposed to be just somewhere to discuss a club who are seemingly trying to achieve success without oil or sovereign wealth, rather than focused on how negative NUFC are. I'm generally positive about all things NUFC at the moment, in that I think we're playing some decent stuff, Pardew doesn't seem to be as bad or unable to change as we all thought last year, and JFK seems to have dropped off the scene.

But long term it seems fairly clear at the moment that plan is to occupy the sweet spot between 6th and 10th in the table for minimal expenditure, and it will take something fairly drastic to change that.

But that's beside the point, not every thread has to become a Pardew/Ashley is shit/mint thread

They're hardly on a limited budget. They have a centre back who cost £8.5m, Rodriguez was about £7/8m and Osvaldo £12m.

It does also help they have a quality youth set up though.

Depends what you mean by limited budget. I would say that level of expenditure in light of the huge increase in TV income was reflective of a sensible and prudent level of investment in the circumstances, marginal improvements of the squad within sensible means without threatening long term health of the club.

Southampton fans also weren't happy when Adkins got sacked by the way, that was a surprise sacking giving what he had done for the club, but they sensed an upgrade and took it. Was a gamble and so far it's paying off.

Must admit i still wasn't convinced with him last season but this season i can see a big improvement and it's looking good for them, can they sustain early form? Like us, it remains to be seen. Both clubs will just be happy with how things are going following their dismal runs back end of last season, the season can still go either way though for us both.

Good article, right mindset. Just makes you wonder what our players and staff really think? is their a common objective, something for all of the staff to strive for? I think not, just a case of maintain our place and the gravy train for ashley's debt and SD exposure to be fulfilled and that's it!

Depressing thread actually, now I think about it!

Will be interesting to see if they can push past the ceiling that this way of running a club seems to create. They've done fantastically well at the moment, but I still think that they're similar to us in that you have to be willing to increase your debt fairly dramatically to push higher. And then there's the issue of your best players being picked off by other clubs.

Will be interesting to see if they can push past the ceiling that this way of running a club seems to create. They've done fantastically well at the moment, but I still think that they're similar to us in that you have to be willing increase your debt fairly dramatically to push higher. And then there's the issue of your best players being picked off by other clubs.

Well said!

If you look at the net spends to get into the top four every year it is far superior to the 25-35M outlay we and the likes of southampton dream about. Oops! forgot, we can't compete with the likes of Southampton can we (Copyright - Percy)?

Guest alijmitchell

:okay:

That one missed it's mark then.

Not a bad article that actually, as the op said nice to see someone believing you can actually compete without billions of dollars.

Ahem, i'll get me coat

It was actually supposed to be just somewhere to discuss a club who are seemingly trying to achieve success without oil or sovereign wealth, rather than focused on how negative NUFC are. I'm generally positive about all things NUFC at the moment, in that I think we're playing some decent stuff, Pardew doesn't seem to be as bad or unable to change as we all thought last year, and JFK seems to have dropped off the scene.

But long term it seems fairly clear at the moment that plan is to occupy the sweet spot between 6th and 10th in the table for minimal expenditure, and it will take something fairly drastic to change that.

But that's beside the point, not every thread has to become a Pardew/Ashley is shit/mint thread

Don't worry, the transfer window opens in a couple of weeks. O0

The one thing that might shake everything up and benefit the likes of NUFC, Southampton, Everton and probably a handful of others who are reluctant to break the bank to make the Top 4 is if they change the Europa format and allow entry to an expanded Champions League through a similar system to the Intertoto which allowed you into the UEFA Cup.

It would mean that the Europa places wouldn't be such a poisoned chalice as you could by playing a handful of games a bit earlier in the summer qualify for the same tournament as the usual CL teams.

Initially thought the "big clubs" would be against it, but when you look at the like of Man Utd, Chelsea, nearly Arsenal etc. finishing outside of the top 4 in recent years, they might see it as a safety net to ensuring they start each season with a chance of qualifying. I'd quite happily take a handful of games in July/August for a Champions League place later in the season.

Will be interesting to see if they can push past the ceiling that this way of running a club seems to create. They've done fantastically well at the moment, but I still think that they're similar to us in that you have to be willing increase your debt fairly dramatically to push higher. And then there's the issue of your best players being picked off by other clubs.

Well said!

If you look at the net spends to get into the top four every year it is far superior to the 25-35M outlay we and the likes of southampton dream about. Oops! forgot, we can't compete with the likes of Southampton can we (Copyright - Percy)?

Not sure I buy that. Arsenal have qualified for about 17 seasons on the bounce and I doubt there's more than one or two seasons where they've spent that much in net outlay.