Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

26 minutes ago, Shak said:

Increasingly interested in our wide players being direct, pacey goal threats.

If you want to really build the team around Isak you give him free reign to come deep, operating almost like a false nine with the wide men attacking the space that he creates by pulling CBs away from.

Yeah makes sense! 

Do you not see a role for the likes of a MGW / Maddison player for us then? 

Not saying I do or don't, just an interesting topic 

35 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Yeah makes sense! 

Do you not see a role for the likes of a MGW / Maddison player for us then? 

Not saying I do or don't, just an interesting topic 

I mean there's a fair chance Eddie will want a wide option who offers something different so MGW could absolutely be an option to play RW.

If not, I do get the feeling that Eddie really loves the flat three in midfield for how effective it is in the high press.

Ideally we'd have someone at LCM who can offer what MGW or Maddison do in the final third while still having the work rate and fitness levels to play CM for us.

From what I've seen of MGW he looks like he'd be good enough in terms of work rate to play CM for us, but I couldn't say for sure.

• 1 month later...

I was going to start a thread, but better to bump this one.

With the emergence of Tino, Hall and Gordon on the left this season, on paper what is our strongest first eleven?

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I was going to start a thread, but better to bump this one.

With the emergence of Tino, Hall and Gordon on the left this season, on paper what is our strongest first eleven?

Pope

Tino - Schar - Botman - Hall

Tonali - Bruno - Joelinton

Barnes - Isak - Gordon

9 minutes ago, p_cowell141 said:

Pope

Tino - Schar - Botman - Hall

Tonali - Bruno - Joelinton

Barnes - Isak - Gordon

Will we ever see this in action? By the time botmans back some people could be gone 

I wish we had used that 40m differently than spending it on Barnes. Not a bad player and he is clinical but not my type of player as he is pretty one dimensional and lacks in general play. Been against it since the beginning. Having said that I’m. Sure he will do reasonably well though. In my opinion Gordon is one of the very first names on the team sheet and that’s out on the left 100% 

Longstaff must go. 

Anderson can stay as back up CM

Miley must go out on loan. 

That's 3 midfielders down. 

We must get at least 1 if not 2 midfielders, one perm, one on loan is fine. 

Posted (edited)

Hate to say it but it wouldn’t surprise me if Longstaff starts the first few games next season. (At least) 

Edited by Ikon

Assuming the following are off:

Hayden

Dummett

Ritchie

Almiron
Lewis

Hendrick

Fraser

Karius

Dubravka

Targett

That's 10 players very likely going out. Not including the maybes like Longstaff, Wilson, Trippier, Ashby etc. 

Who's coming back in for next year?

Minteh, Tonali

Possibly Ashby, Kuol, new Man City kid (all under 21 so don't count)

Tosin (RCB cover)

Kelly (can cover Burn/Hall)

GK (Mamadishivili)

RW (Almiron replacement

Back up CF (Isak/Wilson backup)

CM (replacement for Longstaff)

The squad needs A LOT of work this summer. It needs a 1995/96 type summer where 5-6 top class recruits come in, Ginola, Ferdinand, Hislop, Barton, Batty, Asprilla to challenge. 

Posted (edited)

Put it in the Tino thread few months back, but this was a possible suggestion we could head down next season (which was based on Hall not being here at the time) 

Just spitballing long term, but all top sides essentially play a 3-2 shape defensively. Having Tino starting means we couldn’t do that, but that’s where we could be different and you have the LB basically be a LCB, faster RCB, then two CMs for the shape. So in attack when Tino goes on a run, it’s like this.

RCB - Botman - LB

Tonali - Bruno

Tino - IF - Willock - Gordon

Isak

Out of possesion, the IF can be wide, Tino goes on a dribble, they can go inside to receive or outside. Willock runs into box to support Isak, Gordon on opposite wing providing width, like Grealish does for Man City. 

Still feel it’s something the side can evolve into. 4-3-3 out of possession, 3-2-5 in it. Could even look a bit like this in possession for other games:

Tino, Tosin, Kelly/Burn

Tonali, Hall

New winger, Bruno, Willock, Gordon

Isak

Just options that I feel enable us to control the ball better. 

Edited by Sibierski

51 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Put it in the Tino thread few months back, but this was a possible suggestion we could head down next season (which was based on Hall not being here at the time) 

Still feel it’s something the side can evolve into. 4-3-3 out of possession, 3-2-5 in it. Could even look a bit like this in possession for other games:

Tino, Tosin, Kelly/Burn

Tonali, Hall

New winger, Bruno, Willock, Gordon

Isak

Just options that I feel enable us to control the ball better. 

Interesting thoughts mate

Playing both Tino and Hall makes it hard to have the back 3 in possession like you said, Tino is better running up the pitch, and Hall is starting to look quality in his distribution 

Will be interesting to see how we fit them both in and maximise there skillsets, both are wasted imo if they're hanging back in the 3, someone like Kelly at LB would make more sense then, but what would Halls role be then? Etc 

• 2 weeks later...

Just having a quick check and in Feb we named 23 players in the PL squad

3 of that list have been confirmed today as being released (Karius, Dummett and Ritchie) 

Tonali will take a spot, Anderson and Livramento will be above the U21 criteria so they'll take a spot too, which puts us on 23. Which means we have space for 2 without any outgoings necessary

Though, if Joe White is being kept on then he would also need to be registered and that then leaves the 1 space. Kelly is seemingly the closest so that would be the 25

After that it will be a case of needing to sell/remove players 

Posted (edited)

Surely it will be something like (using nufc.com dont recognise half the kids tbh)

Registered players 18/25

10 home grown

Pope (HG)

Gillespie (HG)

Burn (HG)

Schar

Botman

Lascelles (HG)

Livramento (HG)

Krafth

Tonali

Bruno

Joelinton

Willock (HG)

Longstaff (HG)

Anderson (HG)

Gordon (HG)

Barnes (HG)

J.Murphy (HG)

Isak

U21 dont need registering (for 24/25 season born on or after 1st Jan 2003

Listed under first team on nufc.com but not including those listed as part of u21s

Hall

L.Miley

Koul

J.Miley

Minteh

Turner-Cooke

A.Murphy

Huntley

Parkinson

Stanton

Thompson

Charlton

A.Harrison

Harris

Hernes

Sold (some depending on if we can find a willing buyer)

Dubravka

Trippier?

Targett

Wilson

Almiron

Lewis

Fraser

Hayden

Loan (Over 21)

Ashby

De Bolle

White