Clément Grenier

LRD

Right i've been saying this for a while but, the thing with us spending wisely. That ship has sailed, teams see us coming and we can no longer do that. The facts to back that up are if as expected we sign no one today. It will be 18 months of 2 loan signings (Remy, De Jong) and a 16 year old kid (Kemen), by the end of this season.

That isn't a club spending wisely, it's a club not spending at all. It's ridiculous that you and others cannot see the writing on the wall.

Make it sound drastic by saying 18 months. Be two transfer windows where we haven't signed anyone permanently. He tried to get Remy for 10 million if he wasn’t stole by QPR, people forget that as well last winter. I can't even think of a reason for Ashley to pay extra money this window, i couldn't tell him truthfully that if we signed Grenier for 16 million or whatever that it would push us into Europe. When he could wait till the summer and get a Grenier/Cabella for 12 million. In Ashley’s mind there’s probably no need for him to pay extra couple of million for a player this window.

Ashley is always going to take these shitty gambles but what doesn't sound much to us like 1/2 million extra for a transfer, is still a lot to him. Wish it would be otherwise where he was more lenient with his money, but he's not. He wants the right deal at the right price and that's why we struggle to negotiate with other clubs. He'll still continue to get his bargains however, don't believe for a second it's dried up.

This is only our third season back in the premier league. I didn't expect us to be challenging for a champions league spot and we're not. Ho-hum.

Genuinely thick as f***.

Unnecessary.

Well start making sense then. What has the length of time we've been in the league got to do with where we can be finishing?

If we kept Cabaye and signed another striker and a left winger earlier on in the window I see no reason why we couldn't challenge for a Champions League place? We're 9 points off 4th now and were 6 points off at the start of January.

Because it takes time to build a quality squad, unless you're spending tons of money which we never will. And on your way up you'll have players poached, which sets back the process once again. People are frustrated because they feel we're not that far away. I don't rate our players as highly as some do and basically think we are where we should be give or take a couple of places. I'm not thrilled about where we are obviously, but I'm not going to be spending all my time following Newcastle in a never ending rage either. This is meant to be enjoyable!

But, and credit to Ashley for this, we had the backbone of a very good starting XI sorted and had done for a while. Selling Cabaye has knocked us back a bit in that regard but with £20m in the bank we can definitely find a central midfielder, though it'll be difficult to bring in a true replacement.

The problem is there has been numerous opportunities to really strengthen this side and we haven't taken them because we're too worried about paying over the odds. We'll happily go months, even years, without strengthening a weak position if it'll save us a few million. This has meant we've never truly had a great squad, we've had a very good selection of players spanning our current stint back in the league but we've always been left woefully short in a position or 2. Considering our net spend there's no excuse for this.

As for players being poached, they wouldn't be getting poached if we didn't keep stagnating. And we stagnate because of the reasons I've said.

But, and credit to Ashley for this, we had the backbone of a very good starting XI sorted and had done for a while. Selling Cabaye has knocked us back a bit in that regard but with £20m in the bank we can definitely find a central midfielder, though it'll be difficult to bring in a true replacement.

The problem is there has been numerous opportunities to really strengthen this side and we haven't taken them because we're too worried about paying over the odds. We'll happily go months, even years, without strengthening a weak position if it'll save us a few million. This has meant we've never truly had a great squad, we've had a very good selection of players spanning our current stint back in the league but we've always been left woefully short in a position or 2. Considering our net spend there's no excuse for this.

As for players being poached, they wouldn't be getting poached if we didn't keep stagnating. And we stagnate because of the reasons I've said.

I agree with all this. Bar the being poached part, if they reached a certain standard, they will still nick off even if we were really pushing for top 4. If Spurs/Arsenal struggle to keep their best when in that position, i doubt we would fair much better.

Genuinely shocked to be reading stuff like that to be honest, we challenged for the Champions League a season after coming up and could have continued to do so if we invested in improving the squad. We didn't and were nearly relegated.

Now we've bought a few more players last Jan and were on course to challenge again, we've got rid of our best player and failed to sign anyone this season. Again pointlessly stagnating.

EDIT: Not a reply to Brett's post, just an extension of mine.

Genuinely shocked to be reading stuff like that to be honest, we challenged for the Champions League a season after coming up and could have continued to do so if we invested in improving the squad. We didn't and were nearly relegated.

Now we've bought a few more players last Jan and were on course to challenge again, we've got rid of our best player and failed to sign anyone this season. Again pointlessly stagnating.

EDIT: Not a reply to Brett's post, just an extension of mine.

They're not reading mate.

Too bust fapping over the balance sheet.

This is only our third season back in the premier league. I didn't expect us to be challenging for a champions league spot and we're not. Ho-hum.

Genuinely thick as f***.

Unnecessary.

Well start making sense then. What has the length of time we've been in the league got to do with where we can be finishing?

If we kept Cabaye and signed another striker and a left winger earlier on in the window I see no reason why we couldn't challenge for a Champions League place? We're 9 points off 4th now and were 6 points off at the start of January.

Because it takes time to build a quality squad, unless you're spending tons of money which we never will. And on your way up you'll have players poached, which sets back the process once again. People are frustrated because they feel we're not that far away. I don't rate our players as highly as some do and basically think we are where we should be give or take a couple of places. I'm not thrilled about where we are obviously, but I'm not going to be spending all my time following Newcastle in a never ending rage either. This is meant to be enjoyable!

Well said. Now I'm sure that that there is a good financial reason for not bringing in players this window, but as a supporter my interest in the rest of this season has dropped to 'meh' proportions. Abusing Pardew is likely to be my most entertaining connect to the current campaign.

Genuinely thick as f***.

Unnecessary.

I was surprised by that quote that came out from PSG that if we were in the CL Cabaye would still be here. That would seem to chime with what you're saying about ambition. But me, I still don't believe it. Tottenham have loads of ambition and got to the champions league but they've had plenty of players leave. We don't have loads of players leaving do we? Carroll, which caused similar levels of despair but proved to be the right call. And now Cabaye. Cant think of anyone else of much use.

Nearly every team out side of Man city is short in a position or two.

I agree about having a good backbone, but I don't like going down a list of targets. If Grenier and Cabella cant be got in this window, I'm not sure I want our third/fourth/whatever choice. The Anita summer was our real chance and that was blown, for sure.

These posts make it sound like I'm some sort of apologist for the regime, when in actuality, I'm just not as militant as the majority on here.

Hallelujah.

Hallelujah.

I'm imagining this is like Garth meeting the blonde girl in Wayne's World for you.

We're not making a concerted attempt to 'build a squad', though, that's a misconception of how we're doing things. We go through occasional transitional periods that are designed to keep us afloat and satisfy policy. It's not a discernible attempt to 'build' something; that would insinuate a desire to progress.

Hallelujah.

Not sure how you can build a quality sqaud when you waste transfer windows, sell your best talent with little or no time left to replace the player...They've done this on numerous occasions now.  Stop being fooled by it.

Some of our supporters have a completely baffling attitude to elite sport.

Pay hundreds of pounds to watch players being paid ten times as much for a week's work and yet have a point of view that is basically "it's the taking part that counts"

It's completely alien to me.

Some of our supporters have a completely baffling attitude to elite sport.

Pay hundreds of pounds to watch players being paid ten times as much for a week's work and yet have a point of view that is basically "it's the taking part that counts"

It's completely alien to me.

Wtf is this :lol:

Hallelujah.

?! We haven't fucking signed anyone!? How does that constitute "building a quality squad".

We have built absolutely nothing for two windows in a row. And we've sold people!

Sweet baby fucking jesus.

We're not making a concerted attempt to 'build a squad', though, that's a misconception of how we're doing things. We go through occasional transitional periods that are designed to keep us afloat and satisfy policy. It's not a discernible attempt to 'build' something; that would insinuate a desire to progress.

?! We haven't fucking signed anyone!? How does that constitute "building a quality squad".

We have built absolutely nothing for two windows in a row. And we've sold people!

I enjoy our stylistic differences.

Hallelujah.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Fucking hilarious when it's put like this.

Genuinely thick as f***.

Unnecessary.

We are where we should be give or take a couple of places? Based on what exactly? Ah yes, the level of "ambition" that is very much the reason for all this anguish. The fact is you and a few other posters on here have just allowed yourselves to be led down the garden path of accepting mediocrity, not even trying to be the best we possibly can. You're right, this is meant to be enjoyable, but it hasn't been for years and years. A once proud football club aiming for the stars has been slowly but surely turned into a profit making advertising vehicle without any competitive ambition. This mentality spits straight in the face of such legendary figures as Sir Bobby Robson and Kevin Keegan who didn't accept such artificial, self imposed restrictions, but who saw the potential of this football club and genuinely had it performing at the highest level. We are where we should be give or take? Give over..

Genuinely thick as f***.

Unnecessary.

it helps to actually sign at least 1 player in a season (and loans don't count)

Hallelujah.

?! We haven't f***ing signed anyone!? How does that constitute "building a quality squad".

Sweet baby f***ing jesus.

:lol: Bless you dealing with those morons. Hallelujah.

Guest strongbow69

We are where we should be give or take a couple of places? Based on what exactly? Ah yes, the level of "ambition" that is very much the reason for all this anguish. The fact is you and a few other posters on here have just allowed yourselves to be led down the garden path of accepting mediocrity, not even trying to be the best we possibly can. You're right, this is meant to be enjoyable, but it hasn't been for years and years. A once proud football club aiming for the stars has been slowly but surely turned into a profit making advertising vehicle without any competitive ambition. This mentality spits straight in the face of such legendary figures as Sir Bobby Robson and Kevin Keegan who didn't accept such artificial, self imposed restrictions, but who saw the potential of this football club and genuinely had it performing at the highest level. We are where we should be give or take? Give over..

:clap: well said.