Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Murphy gives us so much more than Ritchie in every way that his exclusion at his expense is becoming bothersome and detrimental to everything.

I wholeheartedly Disagree, and I'm not a Ritchie groupy

Guest Howaythetoon

Stats can be read all kinds of ways. It’s about how the team functions and what a player gives us and Murphy IMO gives us so much more than Ritchie. Who knows if he started every game he too may start assisting and even scoring goals.

Guest neesy111

Stats can be read all kinds of ways. It’s about how the team functions and what a player gives us and Murphy IMO gives us so much more than Ritchie. Who knows if he started every game he too may start assisting and even scoring goals.

Exactly, 3 of those assists were from set-pieces.  Merino only has 1 assist this season but was probably our most important player during that time when we won 3 on the bounce.

Murphy's movement vs Stoke was very effective, for me Ritchie is only effective when the team is functioning very well when is hardly ever.

He does offensively but does he defensively? I don't rate Ritchie positionally but his graft alone makes up for at least half of his defensive capabilities. He has more of that than Murphy, I'd suspect.

Exactly, 3 of those assists were from set-pieces.  Merino only has 1 assist this season but was probably our most important player during that time when we won 3 on the bounce.

Murphy's movement vs Stoke was very effective, for me Ritchie is only effective when the team is functioning very well when is hardly ever.

That's like saying ah but 3 of Shearers goals mattered less cause they were pens...

When was Ritchie's last assist? Did he get one over Christmas?

West Brom away Clark goal.

Only ten games ago then, and even back then he was terrible in general play. Tbf it is slightly harsh as if his great pass in the first half had resulted in a goal as it should have he'd probably be getting praised but that's just the way football is

Thought he was taken off as it looked like he was starting to lose his head, to be honest. Had a little bit of a nibble in the Strawberry Corner not long before.

Yup and the fact when we were a goal down instead of passing the ball back to their keeper when they had put it out of play he kicks it out for a goal kick down by the corner flag so they can waste even more time.

Guest Howaythetoon

He does offensively but does he defensively? I don't rate Ritchie positionally but his graft alone makes up for at least half of his defensive capabilities. He has more of that than Murphy, I'd suspect.

He's a winger fuck being defensive. Not really of course, but howay, I want my wide man to go after his man, take someone on, get past a player, take the game to them.

That's all Ritchie offers, graft. The British disease.

By the way Murphy works hard too. He just doesn't go around yelling at people and for all Ritchie's graft, half of it is headless chicken stuff and not warranted at all.

Guest neesy111

I don't even think Ritchie does that part of his game well currently, think some of yedlin's defensive issues are to do with who's playing in front of him, thought yedlin looked more assured when Murphy was infront of him vs Stoke.

He's a winger fuck being defensive. Not really of course, but howay, I want my wide man to go after his man, take someone on, get past a player, take the game to them.

By the way Murphy works hard too. He just doesn't go around yelling at people and for all Ritchie's graft, half of it is headless chicken stuff and not warranted at all.

It's a wingers job to mark a full back if he is overlapping like. I don't really get this massive love in for Murphy now to be honest. He's been good these last few games but he's not proven to be much (if any) better than Ritchie like.

Back the subject of Shelvey like, he obviously doesn't wanna be here anymore. The blokes a twat if you ask me. Unfortunately he is one of our better players though, with the ball at least.

I don't even think Ritchie does that part of his game well currently, think some of yedlin's defensive issues are to do with who's playing in front of him, thought yedlin looked more assured when Murphy was infront of him vs Stoke.

Agreed. He just looks busy and does a lot of pointing and shouting at others. Funnily enough, he’s like a more energetic Shelvey in that sense :lol:

It's a wingers job to mark a full back if he is overlapping like. I don't really get this massive love in for Murphy now to be honest. He's been good these last few games but he's not proven to be much (if any) better than Ritchie like.

Yet on the whole. Ritchie has been equally as poor/average the whole season in general play and that is with far more experience and chances in the side.

I think it is just as much people clamouring for change, as much as it is them suddenly thinking Murphy has been great. It isn’t working with Ritchie there, so fans want to see something different or a player that is in better form. It’s a fairly natural reaction, I’d say?

It’s actually one of my biggest gripes with Rafa. There are so many players that look like confidence players. Yet they never get a chance to get a run of form going. As the team is chopped and changed so much. 

Guest Howaythetoon

He's a winger f*** being defensive. Not really of course, but howay, I want my wide man to go after his man, take someone on, get past a player, take the game to them.

Back the subject of Shelvey like, he obviously doesn't wanna be here anymore. The blokes a t*** if you ask me. Unfortunately he is one of our better players though, with the ball at least.

It is also a winger's job to beat a man, go past a man, make things happen etc. and Murphy does that. Its not a love in, certainly not from me, ideally I'd replace the lot of them except for Lascelles and Merino, but he offers far more than Ritchie going forward and defensively, well, Ritchie has played almost every game and we still concede goals. He's just fucking shit basically. He only plays because he follows Rafa's instruction to the letter and law.

He's a winger f*** being defensive. Not really of course, but howay, I want my wide man to go after his man, take someone on, get past a player, take the game to them.

Back the subject of Shelvey like, he obviously doesn't wanna be here anymore. The blokes a t*** if you ask me. Unfortunately he is one of our better players though, with the ball at least.

It is also a winger's job to beat a man, go past a man, make things happen etc. and Murphy does that. Its not a love in, certainly not from me, ideally I'd replace the lot of them except for Lascelles and Merino, but he offers far more than Ritchie going forward and defensively, well, Ritchie has played almost every game and we still concede goals. He's just fucking shit basically. He only plays because he follows Rafa's instruction to the letter and law.

For the most part, aye he does follow Rafas instructions yet he just doesn't defend well. I wouldn't say he was shit like, and I don't think Murphy is any better either. He just offers a more entertaining style of wing play that's all.

Guest Howaythetoon

He offers a more threatening style of wing play and his pace gives us an outlet. He can also carry the ball over long distances. It’s a no brainier. Even the he works hard bit about Ritchie is bull shit.

He offers a more threatening style of wing play and his pace gives us an outlet. He can also carry the ball over long distances. It’s a no brainier. Even the he works hard bit about Ritchie is bull shit.

Aye but Ritchie is a very competent passer of the ball and keeps the ball well. So maybe that's the reason for it... Ball retention. I'd have to see more of Murphy but for me Ritchie is probably still our most competent winger if not outright, one of them at least.

Ritchie's been hanging Yedlin out to dry all season by not following his man and then waving his arms around.

This I agree with.

I've noticed when the ball is on the other side of the pitch in particular, he stands square on facing the ball and the wing back just floats in behind then Yedlin has to use his pace to get across. If Ritchie opened his body up by like 45degrees he could see both and put himself in a better position defensively, instead of ball watching.

Aye but Ritchie is a very competent passer of the ball and keeps the ball well. So maybe that's the reason for it... Ball retention. I'd have to see more of Murphy but for me Ritchie is probably still our most competent winger if not outright, one of them at least.

Ball retention isn't really important for us given the way we play. We need wingers who can get us up the pitch

My guess is Jonjo’s long term future is away from SJP if Rafa eventually has his way.

I imagine if we get the takeover and Rafa has more options available to him the turnover of players will be huge