Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I didn't get a good look at Shelvey's miss, but it was clear as day that Atsu should have passed sooner, once he failed to make that decision it was his responsibility to shoot.

If you watch back, especially on slow motion, Atsu’s pause prior to passing makes Cook (no. 3) overrun the ball and leaves a gap to Shelvey. On the other side of the box, Ake catches up to Shelvey in that couple of seconds, but his so called ‘magnificient challenge’ doesn’t get there/ is still too late and is more a lunge to block, but his foot never gets in front of the ball/ Shelvey’s. Meanwhile (in Goalmouth City) Begovic had set himself for a shot by Atsu and is frantically scrambling to get across the goal line. If Shelvey had hit  the target, anywhere other than pinged at the keeper, he wasn’t saving it and we’d be talking about Atsu’s clever delay/good peripheral vision.

Didnt see that Lampard analysis last night but just caught up on it now.  Disgraceful from Shelvey, that

Take him out of the team and we lose the defence splitting passes, keep him in and we get this shit defensively that can cost us

Excellent analysis of Shelvey on motd last night, highlighted perfectly why we need to upgrade asap.

Standing with his hands in his knees in the closing stage rather than making any attempt to pick up runners into the box on both occasions for the goals. That's not good enough and no amount of crisp long passes make up for that. At least he's finding some form in the run though

Contributed to us losing two points in the cold light of day. He was brilliant against Man U, but I can't see Rafa being happy with his effort on defending in the build up to those late goals we conceded.

I didn't get a good look at Shelvey's miss, but it was clear as day that Atsu should have passed sooner, once he failed to make that decision it was his responsibility to shoot.

If you watch back, especially on slow motion, Atsu’s pause prior to passing makes Cook (no. 3) overrun the ball and leaves a gap to Shelvey. On the other side of the box, Ake catches up to Shelvey in that couple of seconds, but his so called ‘magnificient challenge’ doesn’t get there/ is still too late and is more a lunge to block, but his foot never gets in front of the ball/ Shelvey’s. Meanwhile (in Goalmouth City) Begovic had set himself for a shot by Atsu and is frantically scrambling to get across the goal line. If Shelvey had hit  the target, anywhere other than pinged at the keeper, he wasn’t saving it and we’d be talking about Atsu’s clever delay/good peripheral vision.

I'm not having a go at Atsu, his final ball was actually spot on. And if Gayle had been in the place of Shelvey it would have been game over. But it wasn't Gayle, and it was Shelvey.

It's possible that Atsu didn't see Shelvey running from deep, straight away, in which case he did the right thing in holding it up, but given the way Begovic was playing I think a low shot back across the box would have been the correct choice. Just based on percentages.

Need to see it again but anywhere else on the pitch Shelvey gets a free kick for the challenge (they had one the same mind). Shelvey, Perez and Atsu all missed great chances to have killed that game off; what really pissed me off was tha5bonce they’d scored you just knew they’d get another. Rafa should have subbed Shelvey

Great how BBC motd pundits picked him out. Yet the week before vs Man Utd was man of the match or singing his praises. Its poor from shelvey on the bbc highlights shown, but it looked like he left Mo Diame to take responsibility while he peeled off into space to create a counter should it potentially get knocked into his path, probably being the only player who could put the right pass for Atsu or someone to chase while Bournemouth had their whole side in our area. Its a risk and one that didnt help because it was picked up on both goals.

Great how BBC motd pundits picked him out. Yet the week before vs Man Utd was man of the match or singing his praises. Its poor from shelvey on the bbc highlights shown, but it looked like he left Mo Diame to take responsibility while he peeled off into space to create a counter should it potentially get knocked into his path, probably being the only player who could put the right pass for Atsu or someone to chase while Bournemouth had their whole side in our area. Its a risk and one that didnt help because it was picked up on both goals.

That's fine if we're not winning the match, or not with only seconds to go. To add insult to injury, it was one of their central midfielders that equalised.

Rafa will batter him for it when they review it back.

He's the first one to be blamed for anything. He was playing at Number 10. It's not the number 10's job to be stopping a man in the box scoring.

You certainly can't pin Gosling scoring on him.

In the interview with Lascelles, he was saying how Rafa would call him in and go over video footage of the game and pinpoint exactly what he did wrong, even down to the position of his foot when he landed. I doubt Rafa is going to say it is ok for Shelvey to be excused from any responsibility because he was wearing the number 10 shirt. He was stood watching both goals go in with his hands on his knees. Might well be someone else who gets pulled up for mistakes, but I can't see Rafa being happy with that.

In the final seconds of a match, when virtually all of his teammates are in our box desperately trying to see the game out he should be doing he same. I don't care what position he's playing. He's a midfielder and started the game there, it's not good enough to just switch off responsibility because he's at number 10 or whatever. As a midfielder he should be thinking about where he would want to be and tracking the opposition.

It may have made no difference whatsoever so it's not a case of simply blaming him for the result. It just wasn't good enough from him, as rightly pointed out on MOTD.

In the final seconds of a match, when virtually all of his teammates are in our box desperately trying to see the game out he should be doing he same. I don't care what position he's playing. He's a midfielder and started the game there, it's not good enough to just switch off responsibility because he's at number 10 or whatever. As a midfielder he should be thinking about where he would want to be and tracking the opposition.

It may have made no difference whatsoever so it's not a case of simply blaming him for the result. It just wasn't good enough from him, as rightly pointed out on MOTD.

:thup: Let's not forget that one of the most important moments of the Man U win was Gayle's double block when back helping defend for our lives.

Even if Shelvey was shifted to a No 10 role, I don't think Rafa would've told him not to worry about defending because of that, and I don't believe Shelvey is that thick to think otherwise himself.

He was having a very good game. It's a constant trade-off with Shelvey, he's the best player on the pitch regularly but has 5 minute lapses of focus; which when playing to such fine margins as we are this season - you often pay for them. For me he still starts every game like, some will disagree with me here and see it more as a 50/50 split, but I believe the good work he does remains to outweigh the bad. What he brings to the table when on it is not found much outside of the top clubs and I treasure it personally.