Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Why on earth would anyone entertain selling any of our players? Honestly at this point I'd be apprehensive to sell Diame ffs.

Agreed, with the obvious caveat of Colback/Mitrovic/other players who clearly won’t play under Rafa.

Why on earth would anyone entertain selling any of our players? Honestly at this point I'd be apprehensive to sell Diame ffs.

I honestly would on the premise a replacement was immediately signed, but considering i don't trust that will happen i'm liable to agree.

Guest Howaythetoon

All the time and space in the world today and a few good passes aside he was mostly a passenger. It’s laughable watching a professional athlete struggle to get up and down the pitch. Diame’s Legs have gone, but he covers far more ground. There were times today when Shelvey needed to drive forward with the ball, but instead resorted to clipped balls or long passes which is fine for certain moves, but that attack of ours if that’s what you can call it needs bodies around them or players to get up in support.

Guest Howaythetoon

That free-kick in the first half right on the edge of the box was appalling.

Thing he was pretty average  all game

I was wanting Gayle, Perez or Atsu to take it.

Just got in from the match and I'm sorry like but Shelvey was garbage today. I think he has quality and I've said previously I think we could get more out of him as 'final third' player, whatever that might look like, but n a two man midfield like today, he is utterly pointless. One or two passes aside, he contributed nothing. Literally nothing. He has no energy or workrate either so when he can't effect the game on quality, he has nowt.

At this stage of his career, the bloke should be head and shoulders above everyone on that pitch today, not having a poorer game than Diame. Says everything really.

Guest Howaythetoon

Nah Diame was awful, although he did run around more. Shelvey just looks shagged whenever I watch him try and move with the ball, get back etc.

Pretty clear he's not great in this division. He's not terrible, he's just an average premiership player. What has surprised me most recently is that he's so unwilling to show any class, even when under little pressure at times.

A few times today he just put his boot through it instead of bringing it down. Looked a class above (a lot Of The time) in the Championship. Bit clearly a mid table premiership player.

Guest Howaythetoon

Nah Diame was awful, although he did run around more. Shelvey just looks shagged whenever I watch him try and move with the ball, get back etc.

Diame wasn't awful either, he drove us forward a lot and won his fair share of important challenges.

Gave away about 6 silly fouls, gave away the ball quite a bit etc.

He did drive us forward, but to little effect.

Diame wasn't awful either, he drove us forward a lot and won his fair share of important challenges.

Had a higher pass completion than all bar Yedlin and Perez. Made the most tackles in our team and won the most aerial challenges. I get that he looks awful at times but looking awful doesn't really mean anything. Was our best or second best player IMO

Had a higher pass completion than all bar Yedlin and Perez. Made the most tackles in our team and won the most aerial challenges. I get that he looks awful at times but looking awful doesn't really mean anything. Was our best or second best player IMO

Agreed, Diame & Perez were bright sparks for us today and didn't do a whole lot wrong between the two of them. I'm sure Rafa is pleased with the two of them.

Guest Howaythetoon

I thought Diame pressed well and drove forward well, but gave lots of fouls away and played some sloppy easy balls. Made a greats switch to Atsu mind wo failed to control. I’ve come to the conclusion that Shelvey is basically s*** and more a Championship player than a PL player. He’s in good company mind...