Newcastle United 1-1 Sunderland - 20/03/16 - Post match discussion from p.47

BlufPurdi

1st 5 minutes ok

last 15 minutes decent

bit in between absolutely abysmal.

The early part of the second half was pretty much even stevens with us having one cleared off the line early in. They were on top most of the first half, largely due to them targeting our left side. Leicester scored from a Colback error too, so sorting that side out is priority number one. Number two is working on combinations for opening teams up once we get to their 18 yard line. We got there numerous times but lack of runners, poor delivery and poor decisions cost us in both games.

We've finished both games under Rafa stronger than our opponents and have edged the shot count. Under McClaren we averaged 10 for and 16 against. Whether we'll get results is a different matter, but I can see us competing in most of our remaining games. Compared to the Bournemouth home game, that's a big change.

Was it Antonio for West Ham (winger/striker) who had a stint at RB for them which worked quite well? Defended ok and was also a major plus for them going forward down that side with two natural attacking players.

With our injuries/suspensions, I'd be half tempted to keep Sissoko at LB until a natural LB is fit/available. Would also free up for us to play quite a few attacking players and really take the game to Norwich.

Also thought it was interesting that Rafa chose Anita rather than fistipumps to replace Janmaat. Clearly doesn't rate him, which isn't a bad thing.

Makes me laugh that it has taken Rafa less than two weeks to spot the deficiencies in our squad that previous managers have just attempted to ignore and paper over the cracks.

Unfit, Unorganised or Uninterested?

We've looked lacking for most of the season, but it's shown itself more lately. Not getting at teams, not winning second balls or pressuring the opposition enough. Which of the above three is wrong with the team?

same team against Norwich, please.

new LB and maybe think it will be better if sissoko started RW and Townsend LW.

De Jong to start on the bench. Only coz i think he lacks pace (like Mitro). We need pace when we counterattack.

same team against Norwich, please.

new LB and maybe think it will be better if sissoko started RW and Townsend LW.

De Jong to start on the bench. Only coz i think he lacks pace (like Mitro). We need pace when we counterattack.

We need De Jong on the pitch (or Tiote) just to give Shelvey some support in midfield.

Also thought it was interesting that Rafa chose Anita rather than fistipumps to replace Janmaat. Clearly doesn't rate him, which isn't a bad thing.

Makes me laugh that it has taken Rafa less than two weeks to spot the deficiencies in our squad that previous managers have just attempted to ignore and paper over the cracks.

I hope you're right.  But I thought Taylor was an injury doubt, heading into the game? 

As for the game.  It is nice to actually not lose to the fuckers, for a change.  Even at 1-0, I thought to myself "It's an improvement, on the usual 3-0 score line" :lol: 

But in all seriousness.  I think we're going down.  The worst part is, I actually care again.  If McClaren were still here, I really wouldn't give a shit.  So appointing Rafa, is a bit of a catch 22, for me.

I hope you're right.  But I thought Taylor was an injury doubt, heading into the game? 

As for the game.  It is nice to actually not lose to the f***ers, for a change.  Even at 1-0, I thought to myself "It's an improvement, on the usual 3-0 score line" :lol: 

But in all seriousness.  I think we're going down.  The worst part is, I actually care again.  If McClaren were still here, I really wouldn't give a s***.  So appointing Rafa, is a bit of a catch 22, for me.

Well said. I think if we don't beat Norwich there's not much hope left.

If we do go down, maybe people will realise just how awful and totally unambitious Ashley has been this whole time, and finally the masses will revolt against him. But in saying that, I too care again.

The absolute hysteria that came out of me when Mitro scored was so many years of anger, disappointment, disillusionment, and relief. Amazing. What a game football is. Such a shame how one man can ruin it for all of us though.

Anita looks a better FB than Janmaat. Thought Janmaat looked fantastic at the start of last season but think he's totally checked out now.

Love Vern, me :thup:

I wonder if it was just a in game adjustment thing though, there's a difference between starting at fullback and coming on when you are on top looking for an equaliser.

I don't rate Janmaat in the slightest but he'll have to prove it first, he'll play LB with Colback suspended anyway and hopefully he does well enough to keep the useless ginger twat off the pitch.

Guest neesy111

Surprised at how poor people thought we were. Right from the start of the 2nd half we were on top, Perez nearly scored and the chances kept coming. A few more minutes and we'd have scored a winner.

We created fuck all, I can't remember their goalkeeper making a save of note all match.

Guest neesy111

If sunderland hadn't sat back, they would had closed out the game it was only them sitting back that allowed us back into the game by having far more possession.

If sunderland hadn't sat back, they would had closed out the game it was only them sitting back that allowed us back into the game by having far more possession.

Aye. Kirchoff controlled the game until the hour mark

Surprised at how poor people thought we were. Right from the start of the 2nd half we were on top, Perez nearly scored and the chances kept coming. A few more minutes and we'd have scored a winner.

We created f*** all, I can't remember their goalkeeper making a save of note all match.

They created even less really, by the logic of saves of note anyway. Elliot made like one save of note all match, the snapshot from Van Aanholt.

We created f*** all, I can't remember their goalkeeper making a save of note all match.

They created even less really, by the logic of saves of note anyway. Elliot made like one save of note all match, the snapshot from Van Aanholt.

Defoe hit one in the side netting, Elliott tipped one over the bar as well

And the Rodwell header?

We created some opportunities. Mitro, Sissoko and Perez all had decent openings, aside from the goal. Shelvey had that free kick too.

De Jong had a shot inside the box that reminded us of the six months his brother was here as well.