Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

I agree, I couldn’t make out what the Gallowgate end was, that’s not a slight on Wor Flags though, the effort was appreciated and I know they’ll look at this and take in the feedback.

Do I get a slight hint of Wor Flags encouraging the club to put up the original NEWCASTLE UNITED sign on the east stand with their banners today? @Heron 

Have to say that I thought the Gallowgate display was canny (once I got to see it like - thanks PL international feed!)

I think the issue was more to do with the light - the Leazes, East and Milburn all benefit from the clear roof and are well lit in Spring, which makes the Gallowgate look dark and harder to see displays with darker flags etc

All the credit in the world to the lads and lasses behind WF - @Heron and co do an incredible thing for us all (those in the ground, and those of us who are separated by distance).  You should all take a collective bow

Posted (edited)

Thanks for a great season to all at wor flags. You folks are absolute gold and for what it's worth I was in the gallowgate yesterday and blown away by the spectacle that your hard work creates. Made me so proud to be a Geordie. 

Edited by pedro111

Thanks to Wor Flags for their sterling work this season @Heron.

Personal favourite was Brazil - I thought that looked amazing.

Just logged on here this morning to see if people were talking about the Gallowgate display. Thought I was gonna look stupid for not knowing what is was [emoji38]. Was the subject of much conjecture around us yesterday...

Leazes looked good though :thup:.

Thanks again for all you guys do and can't wait to see what you come up with for next year...

9 hours ago, geordie_b said:

Personally it would have been a positive message about gaining strength through adversity. The players/team/club could have written the season off many times yet here they were(are) fighting together to achieve something great. 

Agree that would have been a good message. Just hard to find the right words sometimes that's all and some in the group (as on the forum) weren't as positive as perhaps you and I.

Even though the group is small at around 35 people, that makes it difficult to all align on a message sometimes.

9 hours ago, Stifler said:

I agree, I couldn’t make out what the Gallowgate end was, that’s not a slight on Wor Flags though, the effort was appreciated and I know they’ll look at this and take in the feedback.

Do I get a slight hint of Wor Flags encouraging the club to put up the original NEWCASTLE UNITED sign on the east stand with their banners today? @Heron 

No, it wasn't any hidden message or owt but they absolutely need to remove that Sports Direct version ASAP.

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Have to say that I thought the Gallowgate display was canny (once I got to see it like - thanks PL international feed!)

I think the issue was more to do with the light - the Leazes, East and Milburn all benefit from the clear roof and are well lit in Spring, which makes the Gallowgate look dark and harder to see displays with darker flags etc

All the credit in the world to the lads and lasses behind WF - @Heron and co do an incredible thing for us all (those in the ground, and those of us who are separated by distance).  You should all take a collective bow

Cheers mate

Posted (edited)

Just to avoid any further confusion we deconstructed the old badge and put the castle in one end and magpie in the other with a little bit of artistic licence.

Should have done the two ends the opposite way around in hindsight but hey ho, we know for next time. Still thought it looked great personally (but obviously I am biased). Probably not our best but good!

Edited by Heron

I know this has probably been brought up before @Heron, but have wor flags done any homework on the use of a pulley system in the gallowgate for displays?

Feel like it would translate much better considering the lower roof line which makes yesterday's display slightly harder to make out the higher it gets.

Imagine there is a metric fuck ton of risk assesment and cost involved mind.

7 minutes ago, NE27 said:

I know this has probably been brought up before @Heron, but have wor flags done any homework on the use of a pulley system in the gallowgate for displays?

Feel like it would translate much better considering the lower roof line which makes yesterday's display slightly harder to make out the higher it gets.

Imagine there is a metric fuck ton of risk assesment and cost involved mind.

This process has been with the club for years now. We keep pushing.

Just now, Heron said:

This process has been with the club for years now. We keep pushing.

Good to know mate.

Mind, with the ongoing feasibility studies on ground expansion I could imagine that's on the back burner for the club atm.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Good to know mate.

Mind, with the ongoing feasibility studies on ground expansion I could imagine that's on the back burner for the club atm.

Probably but I honestly don't think it'd be hard for them to sort without giving too much away.

Edited by Heron

1 hour ago, Heron said:

Cheers mate

Honestly mate, don’t know how to credit you all enough.  I sit in my day job here in Sydney with lads from the UK and other places which aren’t - every Monday it’s now the thing where before our weekly meeting we gawp at WF displays and the dozen football supporters in the group love it.

I realise it will probably means nowt outside of that, but all are impressed and it means the world to me.  I should’ve donated more than I have.  All the best to you all - can’t wait to see what you’ve got up your sleeve next season.  HTL

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Honestly mate, don’t know how to credit you all enough.  I sit in my day job here in Sydney with lads from the UK and other places which aren’t - every Monday it’s now the thing where before our weekly meeting we gawp at WF displays and the dozen football supporters in the group love it.

I realise it will probably means nowt outside of that, but all are impressed and it means the world to me.  I should’ve donated more than I have.  All the best to you all - can’t wait to see what you’ve got up your sleeve next season.  HTL

Really appreciate it mate!

I've said it before and apologies for maybe sounding a reet wet wipe but what the group achieves is nothing short of remarkable and it is entirely down to dedication and hard work.

Internally, we're aware of improvements we can make and we're going to be attempting to make them this next 6months or so, (I hope!) to maximise efficiency and remove wasted time etc. It is almost a never ending process at present but hopefully going into the new season we will be able to achieve the same through less effort. That will make it more enjoyable for the group and sociable.

However, I really cannot compliment the group enough. They're almost all working men and women apart from one or two retirees, some with their own businesses and a fair few with young families. The time and effort that goes into the operation is nothing short of phenomenal, and of course, we couldn't do it without the physical or monetary contributions of the Newcastle United support.

They're just a bunch of really, really good people with good core values and a shared and common goal at the end of what they do.

:thup: Was an incredible effort yesterday, thanks @Heron to you and your fellow volunteers.

Probably the largest scale one I've been present for and just thought there is no other club in the country doing this so brilliantly and so often. It will be a big reminder to players and staff that they're playing for a really special club. 

6 minutes ago, Heron said:

Really appreciate it mate!

I've said it before and apologies for maybe sounding a reet wet wipe but what the group achieves is nothing short of remarkable and it is entirely down to dedication and hard work.

Internally, we're aware of improvements we can make and we're going to be attempting to make them this next 6months or so, (I hope!) to maximise efficiency and remove wasted time etc. It is almost a never ending process at present but hopefully going into the new season we will be able to achieve the same through less effort. That will make it more enjoyable for the group and sociable.

However, I really cannot compliment the group enough. They're almost all working men and women apart from one or two retirees, some with their own businesses and a fair few with young families. The time and effort that goes into the operation is nothing short of phenomenal, and of course, we couldn't do it without the physical or monetary contributions of the Newcastle United support.

They're just a bunch of really, really good people with good core values and a shared and common goal at the end of what they do.

And this is why I think it's great you're trying to keep it fan funded for the best part.

The message resonates as it's from fans for fans and players alike.

9 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

:thup: Was an incredible effort yesterday, thanks @Heron to you and your fellow volunteers.

Probably the largest scale one I've been present for and just thought there is no other club in the country doing this so brilliantly and so often. It will be a big reminder to players and staff that they're playing for a really special club. 

Cheers mate. It's sometimes hard to actually accept players making positive comments as you get a cynical feeling of "they have to say that about their own fans" but I truly hope it's genuine for the most part and they generally feel the love and support they receive here. When Newcastle is on the move it's unstoppable. It's just overcoming it's initial inertia that is the difficult part :lol:

40 minutes ago, Heron said:

Cheers mate. It's sometimes hard to actually accept players making positive comments as you get a cynical feeling of "they have to say that about their own fans" but I truly hope it's genuine for the most part and they generally feel the love and support they receive here. When Newcastle is on the move it's unstoppable. It's just overcoming it's initial inertia that is the difficult part :lol:

Any potential targets that are still undecided should be invited up to be serenaded by the home crowd and Wor flags :indi:

@Heron Last Friday I had the whole day to do nothing, so I ended up going to the coast and enjoyed the sun – and got a massive sunburn :lol: While I was out there, I thought about writing to you and hear if you guys needed any help, but it was a bit last minute. I know a lot of work goes into just walking around the stadium to put everything where it should be. Are you guys a closed shop or would it be possible to offer my help next time I manage to get over to a game? I'll bring some Norwegian snacks and chocolate for you all :aww: Amazing display on Saturday, by the way. Like many I didn't have the best view of that one side and was a bit confused, but it looked absolutely fantastic anyways! :indi:

1 hour ago, andyman said:

@Heron Last Friday I had the whole day to do nothing, so I ended up going to the coast and enjoyed the sun – and got a massive sunburn :lol: While I was out there, I thought about writing to you and hear if you guys needed any help, but it was a bit last minute. I know a lot of work goes into just walking around the stadium to put everything where it should be. Are you guys a closed shop or would it be possible to offer my help next time I manage to get over to a game? I'll bring some Norwegian snacks and chocolate for you all :aww: Amazing display on Saturday, by the way. Like many I didn't have the best view of that one side and was a bit confused, but it looked absolutely fantastic anyways! :indi:

Hi mate, feel free to drop me a message on here or just DM the Wor Flags group on Twitter or such like if you're ever free and available to assist. We have voluntary groups set up on WhatsApp for those who cannot assist quite as often and then once folk have been in there a while/have contributed a lot more regularly we look at putting them in the main group. Always happy to have volunteers as it thins the workload out for the rest of us, potentially allowing us to manage/coordinate the display as a whole. :thup: