Newcastle 3-2 Vitesse Arnhem FT

Magpie

I don't think zonal marking necessarily means you stand still and let the defenders get the run on you. If you have a space to defend you can still attack the ball when it comes in. If anything man marking is more likely to get caught out because the players don't know where the ball is.

Either one can work I guess, if done well. At the end of the day not many goals are scored from corners.

:thup:

I think our players are still getting used to it. I think the issue with zonal marking is that if a few of your defenders are close to the danger it's easy to assume someone else is going to clear it. You can end up with nobody going for it and it looks that has happened with the goal scorer for the first.

Trust Rafa will get it right.

Zonal marking has just as many strengths and weaknesses as man marking tbh and just as many teams if not more have success with it.

At the end of the day it depends on what type of players you have, but for some reason in England it's absolutely despised as a rule. :lol:

Surely everyone does the zonal marking the dangerous areas and stick big men man marking their big men, know it can go wrong but it's best of both worlds, and hardly that complicated

That's exactly how it should be, a mix of both.

Zonal: airy fairy, soft, forrin

Man-making: strong, hard, PFM

That's just ex player forrin bollocks.

Even when you play at the lowest level, man marking the best header stops his momentum, i'm not big but i always mark one of the best headers, i have good leap but i try to stop my man getting a clear run and header and that's how it should work. A player does the Shearer position zonally marking the near post (not on the post, 5 or so yards in front of it), someone always around the penalty spot/edge of the area.

Our team Saturday team uses both, we have someone doing the Shearer position and the penalty spot, we don't have anyone on the back post as we have one zonal marker in the middle of the 6 yard box, if the ball is clearing him, his job is to then get on the far post. Then you mark the bigger players man for man. For me that's the best, a mix of both.

Janmaat's header for their second goal  :fool:

I know i'll head this....hmmmm let me think....i know my own penalty spot. You're a defender you lovely hairded fuckwit.

The guy seemed disinterested all game.

He didn't but I'm guessing Stifler is as good a body language expert as he is on his serial killers

I mean Janmaat actually does quite a prominent fistpump so he quite clearly wasn;t just passive about it :lol: