Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

A bit further down the pyramid I ended up at Percy Main v Haltwhistle on Saturday. Percy Main had a great season last year but lost their manager and most of their players to West Allotment over the summer and had lost their first 5 games of the season whilst Haltwhistle sat in 4th place.

Ended up watching what was a very entertaining game of football which Percy Main won 3-2 and had a bizarre moment where an overhanging tree behind the goal stopped the ball going out for a goal kick and the referee just waving play on much to the Haltwhistle defenders annoyance as Percy Main won the ball back inside their penalty area [emoji38]

£3 to get in and they had a nice little club house serving alcohol, soft drinks and hot food. My mates wife was drinking white wine at £4 for a very large glass and after the match the barman came over and just let her have the rest of the bottle as there was only about a small glass left in it. Nice friendly little club and I'll definitely be back when time allows (possibility Wednesday night).

Attendance given as 79, although I thought there looked slightly more there. Apparently they were regularly getting 3 figure crowds last season but their poor start seemed to have put a few off!

I enjoyed going to Percy Main with Alnwick last season. Proper club with proper oldschool infrastructure. Only problem with it is that you can only watch from that small area, but there's literally not a metre to spare in there.

16 minutes ago, OpenC said:

I enjoyed going to Percy Main with Alnwick last season. Proper club with proper oldschool infrastructure. Only problem with it is that you can only watch from that small area, but there's literally not a metre to spare in there.

Aye it's heavily penned in with the cricket ground at one side, allotments behind the other goal and then the road behind the area where you can watch along the side. Just looked like trees over the far side. 

Don't think anyone will be able to get promoted from the Alliance this season because their grounds won't be at the required standard. 

Aye, Alnwick ended up going up by default rather than on merit. Apparently Wallington win it every single year but that's literally just a field in Scots Gap so they're never getting promoted

13 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Aye, Alnwick ended up going up by default rather than on merit. Apparently Wallington win it every single year but that's literally just a field in Scots Gap so they're never getting promoted

Last year was actually the first time Wallington have ever won it [emoji38]. Newcastle Blue Star won it the year before. The latter part is true though, one of the most rural settings you'll find.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

A bit further down the pyramid I ended up at Percy Main v Haltwhistle on Saturday. Percy Main had a great season last year but lost their manager and most of their players to West Allotment over the summer and had lost their first 5 games of the season whilst Haltwhistle sat in 4th place.

Ended up watching what was a very entertaining game of football which Percy Main won 3-2 and had a bizarre moment where an overhanging tree behind the goal stopped the ball going out for a goal kick and the referee just waving play on much to the Haltwhistle defenders annoyance as Percy Main won the ball back inside their penalty area [emoji38]

£3 to get in and they had a nice little club house serving alcohol, soft drinks and hot food. My mates wife was drinking white wine at £4 for a very large glass and after the match the barman came over and just let her have the rest of the bottle as there was only about a small glass left in it. Nice friendly little club and I'll definitely be back when time allows (possibility Wednesday night).

Attendance given as 79, although I thought there looked slightly more there. Apparently they were regularly getting 3 figure crowds last season but their poor start seemed to have put a few off!

Imm going to guess the new ownership at North Shields has resulted in a lot of fans heading back to the other side of Meadowell.

21 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Imm going to guess the new ownership at North Shields has resulted in a lot of fans heading back to the other side of Meadowell.

Aye that'll no doubt be a factor. I was actually stood with a North Shields ST holder who didn't fancy the trip down to Redcar on Saturday. If they can pick up a few more wins, and play like they did on Saturday I'm sure the crowds will start to creep back up again.

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

That was the game that gave us "The Entertainers" nickname which we had for a few years. 

I was living abroad at the time. Remember watching this game in the only bar in town with Sky. A different, and very beautiful, era.

Beardsley 83-84 was the magician supreme though

21 hours ago, JLC said:

Loved watching that. How good was Beardsley

Pep’s football might be better from a tactical and technical standpoint, but you can’t tell me, any of his games are as exciting and magical as that. No way.

Football was better back then.

2 hours ago, Rafalove said:

Pep’s football might be better from a tactical and technical standpoint, but you can’t tell me, any of his games are as exciting and magical as that. No way.

Football was better back then.

Totally. Too many spreadsheets these days. Back then it was instinct and nature which made a good manager/scout.

I went to watch 4th tier MSV Duisburg play Fortuna Düsseldorf's second team this evening. 17,000 people were there for a 4th devision game against the second team of a club in the second division. Respect. A nice antidote to the vulgarity of transfer deadline day and the amount of money in the Premier League more generally these days.

Edited by Geordie_once_removed