NUFC History - Matchday Experiences/Memories - Those Were The Days Thread

NG32

Guest neesy111

Did anyone used to go to the old ODEON to watch matches when they weren't there? Was great fun as a kid - think they showed most games, even if they weren't televised. Particularly remember 3-2 at QPR there, 2-1 at Anfield in the League Cup and the 97/98 opener v Sheff Wed.

Aye, 2-0 defeat at Anfield. Proper odd.

2-0 defeat v west ham when tino hit the post in a rescheduled game in the 95/96 season.

Also the game when ketsbaia went are shit v Bolton.

Random one but I can remember the first time I ever recorded Match of the Day. Newcastle 2-1 Barnsley; Andersson scored a good header then Shearer got the winner. 97/98.

Would love to know which was the first game I ever watched. I can vaguely recall me Dad watching the Barcelona Tino game (we won 3-2 if anyone can recall), but I know I had to go to bed at half-time or something.

Might get onto Wiki later and try to figure it out. I know I watched at least the first half of the Arsenal cup final, but didn't bother with the second half. Obviously hadn't reached peak NUFC-mad by that point.

Random one but I can remember the first time I ever recorded Match of the Day. Newcastle 2-1 Barnsley; Andersson scored a good header then Shearer got the winner. 97/98.

Would love to know which was the first game I ever watched. I can vaguely recall me Dad watching the Barcelona Tino game (we won 3-2 if anyone can recall), but I know I had to go to bed at half-time or something.

Might get onto Wiki later and try to figure it out. I know I watched at least the first half of the Arsenal cup final, but didn't bother with the second half. Obviously hadn't reached peak NUFC-mad by that point.

Are you younger than I thought, or did you just get into footy a bit later?

(I thought you were about my age (27) and I remember being furious about Andy Cole leaving. By Andreas Andersson and the 98 cup final I felt like a seasoned fan, but then it was only a few years difference, at that age felt like a long time though, exacerbated by the change in tone at the club.)

25. I was 7 when I really went football mad. I felt like I knew the crack by World Cup '98 but that 'knowledge' must have been soaked-up in a reasonably short space of time. Certainly don't remember much/anything about Keegan's NUFC and Euro '96.

25. I was 7 when I really went football mad. I felt like I knew the crack by World Cup '98 but that 'knowledge' must have been soaked-up in a reasonably short space of time. Certainly don't remember much/anything about Keegan's NUFC and Euro '96.

Ah right, that's a pretty unlucky age, to just miss KK. On the other hand, I came into football when we were f***ing amazing and thought it to be completely normal, which has its own downsides.  First season I remember all the way through is 95/96 and thought it completely standard that we almost won the league "nee bother, we'll do it next year".

As a Scotland fan, I'm so lucky to remember Euro 96 and France 98, it's all I have.

Just remembered a funny (and nearly tragic) one while posting on another thread. A lass from work, who also worked in corporate hospitality at Roker Park got me a ticket in their clock stand for the derby game. I remember thinking it'll be fine full of sensible types. But I was just along from the lunatic fringe all screaming vileness at our fans who were in the end to my left (can't recall which way around it was and whether the Fulwell End wasn't full of 'shits, puffs and wankers' that day (the old ones are the best, ish...) or whether it was the Roker end).  Anyway I was sitting on my hands and doing fine (no reaction to our first goal; politely clapped when they scored) until Liam O'Brien slotted in a beautiful free-kick. I forgot where I was for a second and leaped to my feet, punching the air... ???  :undecided: Thankfully sanity returned in time to yell: "Ye fuckin' Geordie bastard!" (Albeit in an obvious Tyneside accent). I just about got away with it, initially drew nothing more than a few angry/enquiring looks and then a bit of nodding and movement up the aisles. Hung around for a while longer and then left before the end. Got out of the ground unscathed, walked through loads of the buggers (who were clearly up for a bit of Magpie-ing) trying desperately to mask my internal chuckling!

Ah right, that's a pretty unlucky age, to just miss KK. On the other hand, I came into football when we were f***ing amazing and thought it to be completely normal, which has its own downsides.  First season I remember all the way through is 95/96 and thought it completely standard that we almost won the league "nee bother, we'll do it next year".

As a Scotland fan, I'm so lucky to remember Euro 96 and France 98, it's all I have.

I'll raise you. How about young enough to miss both Keegan and Sir Bobby?

the wooden seats in the west stand, i remember thinking i was royalty when i got in for free to a reserve game.

only the toffs went in the west stand seats  :lol:

went in there for a reserves game once, the holes in the back of the stand were almost big enough to fall through.

Same with me when I was 8 in 1992. That's when I started going and we won the league then the next season we finished 3rd in the premiership then 6th the season after. Then the season after we nearly won it. Anyway I thought this was all completely normal as it was all I knew and all I had seen. I remember my dad saying to me on a few occasions that it wouldn't always be like this. I thought WTF is he on about. Then Dalglish came in and I realised exactly what he meant. Then Gullit...

the wooden seats in the west stand, i remember thinking i was royalty when i got in for free to a reserve game.

only the toffs went in the west stand seats  :lol:

Total fire hazard.

It was, like. A Bradford could easily have happened. Me dad had a season ticket for a bit and took me along. People used to love stamping their feet on the wooden floor. Mad, though, we got lucky. Some of the olden days weren't so good.

Same with me when I was 8 in 1992. That's when I started going and we won the league then the next season we finished 3rd in the premiership then 6th the season after. Then the season after we nearly won it. Anyway I thought this was all completely normal as it was all I knew and all I had seen. I remember my dad saying to me on a few occasions that it wouldn't always be like this. I thought WTF is he on about. Then Dalglish came in and I realised exactly what he meant. Then Gullit...

I remember not even being that gutted at 13th with Dalglish because I just thought it was a blip and we'll be back to normal next year. We've had our FA Cup fun, back to top 2 in the league next year :lol:

By the age of 9, I'd been to Wembley 4 times. Newcastle in the charity shield, 2 FA Cup finals and Scotland in the finals of a major tournament. Went once the following year for the FA Cup Semi and I've not been since :lol: :anguish:

I remember not even being that gutted at 13th with Dalglish because I just thought it was a blip and we'll be back to normal next year. We've had our FA Cup fun, back to top 2 in the league next year :lol:

By the age of 9, I'd been to Wembley 4 times. Newcastle in the charity shield, 2 FA Cup finals and Scotland in the finals of a major tournament. Went once the following year for the FA Cup Semi and I've not been since :lol: :anguish:

Aye, I was at all the Wembley games in the late nineties and the semi final in 2000.

4 times in 4 years really and then not fucking once since. Howwa Rafa...

Aye, I was at all the Wembley games in the late nineties and the semi final in 2000.

4 times in 4 years really and then not f***ing once since. Howwa Rafa...

If we beat Preston and get another good draw in the Quarters  :drool:

Aside from the goals who remembers Cantona going two footed over the top on Pedro? And Albert mocking him in our box? And Taggart trying to make out we were lucky?

Gary Neville also tried to wipe out Ginola at full speed but Ginola just rode the tackle and whipped a ball in.  I think Ferdinand scored from it.

Aside from the goals who remembers Cantona going two footed over the top on Pedro? And Albert mocking him in our box? And Taggart trying to make out we were lucky?

Gary Neville also tried to wipe out Ginola at full speed but Ginola just rode the tackle and whipped a ball in.  I think Ferdinand scored from it.

Batty throttling Butt was a joy to behold too.

Yes, remember these events too. A jolly splendid day all round.

• 1 month later...

This is a photo of my Granda (on the right ;) ) working a Newcastle game in '74. Any old timers any idea what game it might be?

Forest in the cup perhaps? ???

Any help appreciated.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161128/c290dc39b510b993f04357120ac16735.jpg