Butt Out?

Guest BooBoo

Chronicle bill poster says something like "Butt adds to Toon Injury Crisis"

Anyone got tonights Chronicle to confirm?

blueconfused.gif

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/chroniclelive/

Newcastle United were left sweating on yet another problem today after their key midfielder Nicky Butt was sent home from the training ground by the club's doctor suffering from a virus.

It's the last thing Glenn Roeder wanted on the eve of tomorrow's visit to Stamford Bridge to take on Chelsea - and on the eve of his 51st birthday.

But as ever Roeder remained upbeat, saying: "We are hoping by packing Nicky off home to recover he could still be with us on our plane to London tomororw morning.

"It seems he has a virus and a heavy cold, and to tell the truth he didn't look too good.

"But knowing the sort of person Nicky Butt is, if there is any chance of him playing then he will be out there against Chelsea tomorrow night."

Of course, there are a lot of United players who will not be at Stamford Bridge, and these days it is easier to say who is fit rather than those who are not as far as United are concerned.

Roeder, who is waiting for results of the scans on Emre's ankle and Nobby Solano's groin, will not have any of his walking wounded back tomorrow, apart from possibly the admirable Antoine Sibierski.

Two players who will not be making the trip to West London are former Chelsea midfielder Scott Parker and Kieron Dyer, although both have now returned to full training with the chance the key pair will be involved against Watford at St James' Park on Saturday.

Roeder added today: "Kieron had that terrible gash on his leg after he collided with hoardings behind the goal in our match against Portsmouth and we had to let what was a really nasty wound heal.

"He is now back in full training but tomorrow's game will come too early for him because he needs a full week of training.

"As far as Scott Parker is concerned, he is now back with us after he pulled a muscle in his back, and while it is unlikely he will be ready for Chelsea, we are pushing hard to get him fit for Watford on Saturday."

So while Damien Duff is also back in training, of the three former Chelsea players who are now with United, it looks as though only one of them - Celestine Babayaro - will play on his old stamping ground.

However, in an ideal world Roeder would have preferred Babayaro to have a rest tomorrow and avoid having to play four games in 10 days after being out of action with a groin injury for over a month.

But it's not an ideal world for United these days, and it hard to see how Reoder can stick to his original plan by giving Babayaro any sort of break.

In the meantime Chelsea, of course, are at St James' Park a week tomorrow in the quarter-final of the Carling Cup and, as reported in The Chronicle last night, Duff has rather optimistically pencilled in that game for his return after his cartilage operation.

One player who will miss both games is Chelsea's England midfielder Joe Cole and this will upset the Cockney kid because he is an unashamed fan of Roeder, who he calls his mentor.

And United certainly would not mind if reports coming out of Stamford Bridge that Chelsea's in-form striker Didier Drogba is doubtful for tomorrow night with hamstring trouble prove correct.

I'm more bothered about Sarrida tbh. I can't see us getting a result tomorrow regardless of who plays.

Thats what  I like to see, positive thinking.

What's your prediction then?

I'm more bothered about Sarrida tbh. I can't see us getting a result tomorrow regardless of who plays.

Thats what  I like to see, positive thinking.

What's your prediction then?

3-0 to Newcastle tbh

;)

Guest Kenton Magpie

Id love to see us put on a fighting display and shut all those up putting us down for a severe hammering but...........

IT'S CHELSEA!!

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Butt is fine and im sure we will play 4-2-2 since we HAVE TO play both Sibiersky and Martins because of our injurie situation...

No Butts - Nicky's Better

By Gary Oliver

NEWCASTLE United midfielder Nicky Butt has given manager Glenn Roeder a boost by shaking off a virus.

The in-form star reported for training on Monday feeling under the weather and was promptly sent home. However, he was back for work 24 hours later feeling a lot better.

The manager revealed: "Nicky came in yesterday and had a virus and a temperature.

"We sent him home and he had a good night's sleep and typically of him he was in for training the next day and you'd never have guessed he was off yesterday. He's fine."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~942228,00.html

Great news, he will play.

Unfortunately we will probably go 4-5-1 sit deep and play for the draw, but we will invite the pressure as normal, and will have no chance in coping with it.

To be fair what ever we play its going to be lambs to a slaughter.

We can't go 4-5-1, I don't think we have enough midfielders :lol:

Dont know, almost fancy Luque could get a start Zog, Pattison, Butt and Milner around him with Martins up front. Then again he would have to start Luque so we can consider ourselves safe from that scenario.

trust me,if luque could play 5 min in any formation,roeder won't play with it..

what makes me sick is that roeder said  he never gives up on his players,that will be POOR MANAGMENT!!

then he is more willing to give ANY player a chance besides luque,so u can't see troisi,carroll,or anyone getting their debuts tommorw..