Random Roeder poll

Guest tobiazvanderziaz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Boqueron

I supported his appointment - he deserves the chance after last season.

I have supported him throughout this season so far, even with the odd mistake he has made.

While I admittedly don't get to the matches  much (I will be at the Watford game though) I have seen a lot on tv - and you can sometimes see more there than at the match, thanks to replays etc.

I think we have played some good football in most of the games so far (Sheffield and Man U the obvious exceptions) and that has given me encouragement even whent he results were going against us.

I do wonder sometimes what people expect from him - we got some great results from games where the majority on here were expecting drubbings or hoping for a draw at best, and I saw so much crap on here about how we should have attacked more, or how shit Ramage is at left back.

We have struggled with injuries all season with a bare squd and he has still ground out results.

He has, in general, picked teams from who has been available and made it work. Our more embarrassing moments have come because of individual errors at crucial times - not because of some fault in his tactics. I also wonder on occasion if some of the contributors on here have any notion of what "tactics" actually means.

He has recognised the problems in defence and worked hard to rectify them, brought in some expert help in Pearson but will still have to rely on the people we have in place for a while longer. Yes Carr is shit, he was when we bought him and will be as long as he has a hole n his arse. Roeder still has to work with him though - who would buy him?

His summer signings are probably his biggest cause for concern. He said he expected us to sign 5 major players with premiership experience. That we didn't get them and ended up with an inexperienced foreigner, another inexperienced foreigner on loan, and a free transfer (who has turned out to be a shrewd signing) has meant that we have struggled.

My view is that he gave FS a list of who he wanted and he got none of them. FS as always played the brinkmanship card, waiting until the very last minute thinking the other sides would cave in at the last and then ended up with having to make any kind of desperate signing in the last few days. Should Roeder have put his foot down and demanded action earlier? Could he have done so? Would it have made a difference? In his first few weeks as Boss was he in a position to say "sign these or I quit" ? Would you in his place?

Will we get turned over tomorrow? Almost certainly -  brought back to earth with a bump? Hardly - we go to the best team in the country with barely enough players to make a team, to a place where we haven't won since many of you were in kindergarden and where we haven't even scored since God knows when -  even when we had a hell of a  lot better team than will beout tomorrow. But the key word there is ALMOST certainly. In the heart of every true supporter is the glimmer of belief that even in these direst of times we MIGHT just get something out of the game.

So, as I said at the beginning, I support Roeder. In my time as a supporter I have seen some really bad Managers - Gordon Lee, Willy McFaul, Bill McGarry and of course Souness. In those 40 odd years there have been very few GOOD managers Joe Harvey, Keegan and Bobby Robson perhaps the only 3. Roeder is not as good as those 3 yet - but he is nowhere near as bad as many others we have suffered.

My motto has always been - "We have the best Club in the World. We may not have the best TEAM at the moment but our turn will come again"

Support the Club, Support the Team, Support the Manager.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

I'm behind him, yes, but if we don't finish in the top half (which we won't) i'll want him out.

Providing he wins nowt, of course.

WHEN we finish in the top half I will remind you about that quote ;)

I have supported him throughout this season so far, even with the odd mistake he has made.

While I admittedly don't get to the matches  much (I will be at the Watford game though) I have seen a lot on tv - and you can sometimes see more there than at the match, thanks to replays etc.

I think we have played some good football in most of the games so far (Sheffield and Man U the obvious exceptions) and that has given me encouragement even whent he results were going against us.

I do wonder sometimes what people expect from him - we got some great results from games where the majority on here were expecting drubbings or hoping for a draw at best, and I saw so much crap on here about how we should have attacked more, or how shit Ramage is at left back.

We have struggled with injuries all season with a bare squd and he has still ground out results.

He has, in general, picked teams from who has been available and made it work. Our more embarrassing moments have come because of individual errors at crucial times - not because of some fault in his tactics. I also wonder on occasion if some of the contributors on here have any notion of what "tactics" actually means.

He has recognised the problems in defence and worked hard to rectify them, brought in some expert help in Pearson but will still have to rely on the people we have in place for a while longer. Yes Carr is shit, he was when we bought him and will be as long as he has a hole n his arse. Roeder still has to work with him though - who would buy him?

His summer signings are probably his biggest cause for concern. He said he expected us to sign 5 major players with premiership experience. That we didn't get them and ended up with an inexperienced foreigner, another inexperienced foreigner on loan, and a free transfer (who has turned out to be a shrewd signing) has meant that we have struggled.

My view is that he gave FS a list of who he wanted and he got none of them. FS as always played the brinkmanship card, waiting until the very last minute thinking the other sides would cave in at the last and then ended up with having to make any kind of desperate signing in the last few days. Should Roeder have put his foot down and demanded action earlier? Could he have done so? Would it have made a difference? In his first few weeks as Boss was he in a position to say "sign these or I quit" ? Would you in his place?

Will we get turned over tomorrow? Almost certainly -  brought back to earth with a bump? Hardly - we go to the best team in the country with barely enough players to make a team, to a place where we haven't won since many of you were in kindergarden and where we haven't even scored since God knows when -  even when we had a hell of a  lot better team than will beout tomorrow. But the key word there is ALMOST certainly. In the heart of every true supporter is the glimmer of belief that even in these direst of times we MIGHT just get something out of the game.

So, as I said at the beginning, I support Roeder. In my time as a supporter I have seen some really bad Managers - Gordon Lee, Willy McFaul, Bill McGarry and of course Souness. In those 40 odd years there have been very few GOOD managers Joe Harvey, Keegan and Bobby Robson perhaps the only 3. Roeder is not as good as those 3 yet - but he is nowhere near as bad as many others we have suffered.

My motto has always been - "We have the best Club in the World. We may not have the best TEAM at the moment but our turn will come again"

:thup: Cracking post.  I'll probably still want him out in the summer though  bluebiggrin.gif

I'll never not be behind a manager of Newcastle United, the question is do I want him to be replaced as soon as possible for the good of the club and fans? Which is the case with Roeder, I'm willing to see out the rest of the season with him in charge, but then I'll want him gone.

blink.gif

thank you so much for that post.

Well whether we support him or not it would stupid to sack him this season - would make our club look like a bigger circus. 

For me personally, I voted no. He'll be here for the rest of the season. I want him to do well - purely for the club's sake and then, like many others, I him out and a more capable manager installed.

I can want him to do well but that doesn't necessarily mean I have to SUPPORT him.

Come lads, let's give Chelski a 5:0 drubbing :)

Long term I still don't see him being a success, but he's got my backing to the end of the season though. Then we need to review what's going to happen.

:thup:

Get the new owners in, new chairman, new board, new plan to chart out where we are going and how we are going to get there.

Until then Roeder it is... unless Hitzfield becomes a possibility...  :winking:

Now that we've won at Blackburn, i'd officially say that we've turned a corner. A defeat at Chelsea is more than excusable - just so long as they don't destroy us. We've got a lot of injuries, and we'll no doubt blood one or two youngsters, but we've got a decent enough 4-4-2 line-up there for us to not give them a totally easy ride.

We HAVE to beat Watford after though, and the Tottenham game is key aswell, considering a tough run of fixtures after that.

Roeder would really benefit from Shearer being there as a coach.

Shearer could teach Martins a thing or two about movement in the box.

Even from a motivation standpoint.  Shearer is a commanding pressence and would get the most out

of the lads.  I'd not want to face him after a sub par opening half and would make for damn sure that

I step up my game.

I said before the season started that the fans had no option but to back Roeder, and that is still the case -

the fans currently have no option as Shepherd wouldn't fire him unless the club were losing every week for 3 months ; he COULDN'T fire him because no-one of any consequence would take the job at present.

That DOESN'T mean Roeder is the right long-term manager for NUFC - his record in the past and player-selections tell you that.

He has not got an easy job, but he knew what he was getting in to - it will be interesting to see what happens if & when a takeover occurs. My money is on him retaining the job until the end of the season,

but after that, its anyone's guess....

Guest MalcolmSm1th

As for his weak points, I'm still not sure about his ability to handle stroppy or undisciplined players.

An interesting point which I would like to counter.  Since Roeder's been in charge there's been little news about problems in the dressing room.  The rumours of various ructions have, effectively, died out.

The only rumour I've heard, and this is a vague one, concerns Rossi and that's kept to a minimum.

As the man himself; after the West Ham United game he, himself, has changed.  Rather than being the Quiet Thin Man he's now making comments in the after-match interviews which seem to be out of character.  He's had a go at Redknapp (one of the few good and great Premiership managers) which was a total surprise to me and he's not frightened to say what he, or something else thing that he, should say.

It could be that he's growing into the job at StJP and he, like a guard dog, is defending his territory.  But I have seen enough to think that this is a man who wants this job and he could well have the teeth and he could surprise us all.

So far I have nothing but admiration for the man for what he's done for the club on and off the pitch and the way that he fought his own medical issues.  I truly believe that we're starting to see that character which fought and won his cancer on the touchlines.

Don't dismiss him just yet. Also do remember what they say about still waters....

As for his weak points, I'm still not sure about his ability to handle stroppy or undisciplined players.

An interesting point which I would like to counter. Since Roeder's been in charge there's been little news about problems in the dressing room. The rumours of various ructions have, effectively, died out.

The only rumour I've heard, and this is a vague one, concerns Rossi and that's kept to a minimum.

As the man himself; after the West Ham United game he, himself, has changed. Rather than being the Quiet Thin Man he's now making comments in the after-match interviews which seem to be out of character. He's had a go at Redknapp (one of the few good and great Premiership managers) which was a total surprise to me and he's not frightened to say what he, or something else thing that he, should say.

It could be that he's growing into the job at StJP and he, like a guard dog, is defending his territory. But I have seen enough to think that this is a man who wants this job and he could well have the teeth and he could surprise us all.

So far I have nothing but admiration for the man for what he's done for the club on and off the pitch and the way that he fought his own medical issues. I truly believe that we're starting to see that character which fought and won his cancer on the touchlines.

Don't dismiss him just yet. Also do remember what they say about still waters....

As I said in my post, I've generally been surprised and impressed by Roeder's motivational skills. I think the players do respond to him and are working for him.

That particular point I made only related to specific players. I think Roeder is respected and liked, but not feared. For most players, that's enough, but the odd one or two need a bit more.

N'Zogbia and Luque are the two that spring to mind. I can remember Zoggy being subbed in a European game, and he wasn't that happy. Despite the fact that we were chasing a win, he walked off like there was all the time in the world. If a young player was foolish enough to do that with Ferguson, they wouldn't be doing it a second time. Despite the 'you should see me when I'm really angry'- type comments that he comes out with , I don't think Roeder is really a toughie. He motivates in a different way.

But I only meant this as a relatively minor point that's separating him from being in the top bracket. Generally speaking, as you say, the players seem to respect him.