Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Feel very bad for Sean. He’s just been offering anything significant for a while now. 
We’re out of options for the rest of this season though. I really hope he plays well at home.

I still retain my view from this season that we need a CM - I’m not interested if we have 7 on the books - sell one if needs be and buy a quality player like Y Fofana 

Let’s remember that Sean wouldn’t have even played the match had Tonali not turned out to be a bidding addict. I agree, his performance leave a lot to be desired for a team that wants to play in UCL every year. But just like with Dubravka, he’s not supposed to be starting games. 

2 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Let’s remember that Sean wouldn’t have even played the match had Tonali not turned out to be a bidding addict. I agree, his performance leave a lot to be desired for a team that wants to play in UCL every year. But just like with Dubravka, he’s not supposed to be starting games. 

Oh completely, no point in hating them, just hate the fact that they're having to play.

But we're only a couple of years in to this project, we were never going to replace 24 players in that time period.

However, throwing yourself to the floor every time the opposition is near you is a choice.

I am so conflicted on this one. 

He is such a great human being and one of our own. He is also having to play with literally zero breaks. There is nobody else to play in his role.

Poor lad is also having to play through some terrible form and low confidence.

Must be such a terrible position to be in. Playing for your hometown club, with such low confidence, because there is literally nobody else to do it. 
There is nobody else. Feel for the lad, but holy crap - his form is so poor. A literal shell of a player that was there before. He was undroppable last year. This year it feels like he is anonymous or disasterous.

Edited by arnonel

If we can sell him for anything north of £15M, he has to go. I don't think he's good enough to be a squad player. 

Replace him with a player like Manu Kone or Khéphren Thuram.

10 minutes ago, arnonel said:

I am so conflicted on this one. 

He is such a great human being and one of our own. He is also having to play with literally zero breaks. There is nobody else to play in his role.

Poor lad is also having to play through some terrible form and low confidence.

Must be such a terrible position to be in. Playing for your hometown club, with such low confidence, because there is literally nobody else to do it. 
There is nobody else. Feel for the lad, but holy crap - his form is so poor. A literal shell of a player that was there before. He was undroppable last year. This year it feels like he is anonymous or disasterous.

At some point if you want to go places as a club, sentiments have to go out of the window - it’s just what it is 

If Eddie is super loyal then next season will be Eddie’s last imo 

We need a midfielder who can offer more control, which is why I mention Ross Barkley. Yes he’s 30 but we’ve got to think of the here and now along with buying younger players; he has the strength, technique and intelligence to keep the ball under pressure and work with Bruno & Tonali. If he’s not quite up to the required standard then someone in that mould.

Even when Joelinton is fit, he’s more about athleticism, as is Wilock, carrying the ball forward. Longstaff isn’t good under pressure and again is about his running off the ball.

Bruno and Tonali are the only two who are truly good at holding and keeping the ball especially under pressure. The jury is out on Anderson about his best position. Sell one of Longstaff or Wilock and bring in someone like Barkley who can play a 6 and 8.

46 minutes ago, Mikky said:

At some point if you want to go places as a club, sentiments have to go out of the window - it’s just what it is 

If Eddie is super loyal then next season will be Eddie’s last imo 

That's my biggest fear for Eddie and I don't want that to happen. If he was cutthroat then Almiron, Longstaff and maybe even Willock are moved on. 

1 minute ago, vexred said:

That's my biggest fear for Eddie and I don't want that to happen. If he was cutthroat then Almiron, Longstaff and maybe even Willock are moved on. 

If Willock needs surgery and gets his fitness back then he's 100% a player that should be kept.

33 minutes ago, vexred said:

The summer will tell us more about Howe tbh - it’s where it gets difficult for him because the expectations will be higher, rivals will improve - we simply cannot carry people now 

Problem with Longstaff for me and even Howe alluded to it is that he's the type of player that needs to find a rhythm to bring the best out of him, he's technically below par and his footwork is below that again. I can't see how he'd work out as a good rotational player if he needs to be playing regularly to be at the required level. Anything north of 15m I think would be good business provided there's a suitable alternative they like. I'd like to see them sign a young no. 6 with the potential to be a long term option in that position and is able to grow into the role whilst Bruno is at the club (assuming he stays) with a view to succeeding him should he eventually leave. Feel we need the option of someone tailer made with traditional attributes for that position but as it is we've enough bodies in midfield.

1 hour ago, Mikky said:

The summer will tell us more about Howe tbh - it’s where it gets difficult for him because the expectations will be higher, rivals will improve - we simply cannot carry people now 

It will be interesting to know what the expectations are next year. It has to be pushing for a top 4 spot.

40 minutes ago, TRC said:

It will be interesting to know what the expectations are next year. It has to be pushing for a top 4 spot.

Eales spelt it out only a few weeks ago [emoji38]

Regular Top 6 and pushing to try and win trophies. 

Just now, LFEE said:

Eales spelt it out only a few weeks ago [emoji38]

Regular Top 6 and pushing to try and win trophies. 

I must have missed it. I think top 4 is a real opportunity with no Klopp. Chelsea and Man U I think we should be better than. Villa can't maintain this and need a drop off at some point.

Arsenal and City have 2 spots locked next season, the other 2 are anyones.

1 minute ago, TRC said:

I must have missed it. I think top 4 is a real opportunity with no Klopp. Chelsea and Man U I think we should be better than. Villa can't maintain this and need a drop off at some point.

Arsenal and City have 2 spots locked next season, the other 2 are anyones.

Not sure why you think we SHOULD be better than Man Utd & Chelsea next season. Chelsea should be a more settled environment as should Man Utd. Emery has just extended so can’t see much change with them other than probably having two of their better players return from ACLs.

We’ve a chance of course if we get behind EH and make 3 smart signings and I agree Liverpool could have a wobble of a season. Spurs will make interesting viewing. Have a funny feeling the Ange love affair might end come Xmas depending on their start. 

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Not sure why you think we SHOULD be better than Man Utd & Chelsea next season. Chelsea should be a more settled environment as should Man Utd. Emery has just extended so can’t see much change with them other than probably having two of their better players return from ACLs.

We’ve a chance of course if we get behind EH and make 3 smart signings and I agree Liverpool could have a wobble of a season. Spurs will make interesting viewing. Have a funny feeling the Ange love affair might end come Xmas depending on their start. 

Both of those teams will probably have a new manager and go through another transition year with a lot of squad turnover, both teams have a higher ceiling than us but they also have a much lower floor. I see us as a steady 65-75 point team next year with both of those between 60-85 I would be shocked if they both hit the upper end of that.

2 minutes ago, TRC said:

Both of those teams will probably have a new manager and go through another transition year with a lot of squad turnover, both teams have a higher ceiling than us but they also have a much lower floor. I see us as a steady 65-75 point team next year with both of those between 60-85 I would be shocked if they both hit the upper end of that.

Well we’ll see. Chelsea hard to predict but would’ve thought they’d have little appetite to change again. Man Utd will depend I feel on how quick they get Ashworth. If he’s still with us I’ve a feeling they may look around and feel better the devil you know with ETH. Especially if the fans get a whiff the alternative is Southgate or Potter.

Whatever happens it’s going to be another fascinating season both ends of the table.

13 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I agree, I don't really think we should have any expectations for top 4, if we get it, it will be through better coaching and stability than any other reason. Man U and Chelsea have invested far more in their squad, they really are underperforming considering their outlay. Our problem is we don't have the sheer numbers of quality players to call on, that much has been evident in games like last night. A few injuries and we are dusting down our ex-championship players and chucking them into the mix.

8 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Well we’ll see. Chelsea hard to predict but would’ve thought they’d have little appetite to change again. Man Utd will depend I feel on how quick they get Ashworth. If he’s still with us I’ve a feeling they may look around and feel better the devil you know with ETH. Especially if the fans get a whiff the alternative is Southgate or Potter.

Whatever happens it’s going to be another fascinating season both ends of the table.

With the teams coming up it could be the strongest PL we have ever had. Can't see there being any absolute fodder like this season.

7 minutes ago, TRC said:

With the teams coming up it could be the strongest PL we have ever had. Can't see there being any absolute fodder like this season.

The fodder like Everton who took 4 points of us? Luton who took 4 points of us? Or maybe Forrest who took 3 points of us? Hopefully we don’t come unstuck against SU and Burnley.

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

The fodder like Everton who took 4 points of us? Luton who took 4 points of us? Or maybe Forrest who took 3 points of us? Hopefully we don’t come unstuck against SU and Burnley.

I was talking about Luton, SU and Burnley only. It's criminal Luton took 4 points off us.