The Betting Thread.

Optimistic Nut

Guest smoggeordie

Another stupid question, do you get your money back if a player doesnt play? I put a fiver on nobby first scorer tonight. will i get it back?

Another stupid question, do you get your money back if a player doesnt play? I put a fiver on nobby first scorer tonight. will i get it back?

Yes. You also should get it refunded if Nobby had come on, but wasn't on the pitch when the first goal was scored.

EDIT: That may be slightly misleading, if someone hadn't come on when the first goal was scored (ie had played no part yet) it would be refunded, but if they start, get subbed off and then the first goal comes then it wouldn't be refunded.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had £50 on us to win the UEFA Cup at 25/1 on Betfair :thup:

I'll probably lay some of it back if/when we get through the group stage.

Betfair is mint. I like the way you can bet for and lay. Done the right way especially inplay, you can reduce your risk of loosing to very minimum. My record so far has been only 3 losses out of more than 40 bets and gain of more than 300 quid  :thup: The only draw back is you need a big capital to lay bets.

Guest MagicNumber9

Last decent win i had on with football was when we played sunderland when we won 4-1...

i had a tenna on 4-0, cant remember the odds, and i remember having some change in me pocket in the bookies and put on

sunderland to win first half, newcastle to win 2nd half, put on £3, odds were 25/1.... got £75. Lucky win though because i was debating using that money to buy 10 regal, good job i didnt lol

Guest MagicNumber9

My bet at the weekend.

£50 double on Birmingham and Newcastle to win.

I thought it was money in the bank until 83 minutes. Cheers again for that Ramage.

what bet was that mate? you put on £50 alltogher, saying in the 2 games, X team is gonna win this game and Y team is gonna win that, and thats a joint bet? what sort of odds are they like?

Magic Number,

Yes mate pretty much what you said. A double (in football terms anyway) is where you predict the winners of two events (i.e: Matches or Leagues or Cups etc). So at the weekend I placed £50 on both Newcastle & Birmingham to win.

If one of them fails to win the bet is down. If they both win, your in the money.

Can't remember off hand but I think the odds were just under 3/1 so, if Newcastle had of kept a hold of their 1-0 lead, I would have won about (well just under) £150 and got my original £50 back so, about two hundred quid back for my fifty quid stake.

There is no real minimum so you could have put 30p on it if you wanted and returned about £1.20 and the maximum stake allowed with my bookie is £300 which would have returned just under £1200 inc your stake.

Some people will bet on other doubles such as:-

Chelsea to win the league and Cardiff to win the Championship for example.

Newcastle to win the F.A Cup and Liverpool to win the league cup etc etc

Hope this helps.

I'm a bit of a regular gambler so if I can help explain any other bets then please shout up.

Cheers

Riches.

Guest MagicNumber9

Im not really a big betting man myself, normally if the toon are playing or when england were in he world cup, id normally slap on 20 a game, but if the toon/england wernt playing i never really bothered.

BTW the odds u got of just under 3/1, which bookies u get themfrom? my local is william hill, normally quie good for the football

I got them from Skybet, who are normally gash for football odds.

Your local bookie (Willie Hill) are always pretty good I've found. I prefer not to go into bookies however, unless I'm desperate to bet on something cos they stink of smoke, piss and old people - not a great combination in anyones book.

Guest rosstoon

Done a 7 team accumaltor for tonights games. £10 on £150 back on Luton, Wolves, Forest Barcelona, Chelsea Bayern Muncih and Roma. Hopefully come in.

RossToon,

Good luck with your bet tonight. I hope it comes off for you.

Personnally, I have a policy of never betting on more than 4 teams at once. So I would have split your bet into one treble and a trixie.

For those of you who don't know, a trixie is a bet where you have 4 teams backed to win and you start 'winning' your money back as soon as two of them win, more if the third wins (which would make a treble) and you scoop the full return if the 4th wins.

If only one of the four teams wins, your screwed.

Its like a safe accumulator basically.

You get slightly smaller odds in comparison to a normal accumulator but more chance of getting something back.

Riches

Do people have any systems?

I wanted to use betfair to lay £x on the favourite at every dog meeting, but the money traded on there is too limited/non-existant.  The results over a month say you'd clean up.  If anyone knows anywhere else I can lay that amount on every race, please let me know.

I'm also looking at a one-nil correct score system.  Individual bets on every team with odds shorter than a certain threshold I'm yet to calculate.

I wanted to use betfair to lay £x on the favourite at every dog meeting, but the money traded on there is too limited/non-existant. The results over a month say you'd clean up. If anyone knows anywhere else I can lay that amount on every race, please let me know.

I'm also looking at a one-nil correct score system. Individual bets on every team with odds shorter than a certain threshold I'm yet to calculate.

Happy,

I don't have a particular system for football bets but have friends who are adamant that you should never back a raging favourite when they're away from home (i.e: F.A Cup Barnet Vs Chelsea).

Also know people who don't back away teams at all because they reckon statistically they prove too unreliable. I've never checked the stats over a 5/10 year period but its an interesting policy.

A bet I've often considered doing but never really been arsed is 'draw half time/win full time' for all of the odds on favourites on any given weekend. Example: Chelsea Vs Sheff Utd or Man Utd Vs Watford. Based on the premise that the cream always rises and the better quality 11 players should outperform the lesser 11 quality players from the other side eventually.

Finally, a mate of mine who is a full time gambler often looks to south america, eastern europe & the American MLS for best value bets. He must be doing ok cos he's just bought a restaurant for cash.

Would be interested to hear if anyone actually has a successful system.

The current system I use is

1) to pick games where there is a reasonably clear favourite (i.e one of the big 4 playing at home against a mid table team). Then hopefully the score is still 0-0 after 20++ minutes which brings the lay on win odds down in Betfair.

2) Smack a 40/50quid on lay a win with a potential liability of 150 pounds (coz usually the odds on lay by that time will be between 3.9-4.5)

3) Cut my liability by 60-70% with some betting on 0-0 and 1-1 (highly unlikely the game would end on a 2-2 or 3-3...etc).

4) Follow the game and bet to cover my positions accordingly (if it is still 0-0 by half time, I might increase my 0-0 bet to 80%...etc)

5) The favourites in all probability will score at some point, and you collect the winning. Even if the match ends on a 0-0 or 1-1, then u're covered because you've covered your liability. The rare loss is usually not more than 10-20%, the amount of wins depend on the amount of liability you're willing to stomach. With a liability of 150 quid (before covering them with 0-0 and 1-1 bets), I make 10-15 quid per game, multiply that with a few games on the weekend and you could easily get 50-60 quid.

So far so good

Guest rosstoon

I wanted to use betfair to lay £x on the favourite at every dog meeting, but the money traded on there is too limited/non-existant. The results over a month say you'd clean up. If anyone knows anywhere else I can lay that amount on every race, please let me know.

I'm also looking at a one-nil correct score system. Individual bets on every team with odds shorter than a certain threshold I'm yet to calculate.

Happy,

I don't have a particular system for football bets but have friends who are adamant that you should never back a raging favourite when they're away from home (i.e: F.A Cup Barnet Vs Chelsea).

Also know people who don't back away teams at all because they reckon statistically they prove too unreliable. I've never checked the stats over a 5/10 year period but its an interesting policy.

A bet I've often considered doing but never really been arsed is 'draw half time/win full time' for all of the odds on favourites on any given weekend. Example: Chelsea Vs Sheff Utd or Man Utd Vs Watford. Based on the premise that the cream always rises and the better quality 11 players should outperform the lesser 11 quality players from the other side eventually.

Finally, a mate of mine who is a full time gambler often looks to south america, eastern europe & the American MLS for best value bets. He must be doing ok cos he's just bought a restaurant for cash.

Towards the end of last season i started doing draw ht and win FT for random teams. One 5 out of 8 normally the odds are between 3 and 5/1.

Happy,

Towards the end of last season i started doing draw ht and win FT for random teams. One 5 out of 8 normally the odds are between 3 and 5/1.

Did you win often Rosstoon?

Guest rosstoon

Bout 5 out of 8 i won. Won a couple of times in the world cup. I like the odds to be slightly higher.  My best wins last season were an acca on players scorer at any time. Always had Henry, RVN, Samuel eto and often Lampard when Chelsea were at home. Normally be bout £90 return for £10. All were 4/6 Lampard was evens or slightly better

Happy,

Did you win often Rosstoon?