Roeder has 10 Million in Jan

SUPERTOON

Guest Knightrider

We don't need to spend big on a forward. In fact doing so would be foolish given Owen will be back for next season - what we need is an experienced, reliable centre-forward - one on the cheap preferably. We don't need a goalscorer for me as there is goals in this team, no, we need an outlet, a centre-forward. I'd go for Kevin Davies at Bolton, an underrated player who could be that stop gap.

He won't score bags of goals but he will act as an outlet for the midfield to hit, somone who will bully and work opposition defenders and bring team-mates into play, a foil for Martins, someone to do all the donkey work and take away the attention of defenders from his heels.

These things have been sorely missing from our play this season, although Sibierski has admirably tried his best in that role (but lacks the legs and know-how, being a midfielder by trade).

One of the reasons for the midfield being overrun at times this season is down to having no-one up front who can shield the ball and play them in, someone who pins back defenders and allows team-mates to get up and support.

That in turn has had an adverse effect on the defence. Sort that out and the whole balance of the team will be far better for it.

If we are to spend big money on one player, I'd spend it on a player we are crying out for; one of either a box to box goalscoring midfielder or a playmaker creative type. I'd prefer a box to box player myself, someone in the Nolan mould. Having such a dynamic driving force through the centre who you know will charge into the box and get on the end of things would add so much to the team and an extra few goals from that area would be massive for us. But that's more long-term thinking.

Davies, Beattie (at a reasonable price i.e. £3m) or Viduka would all be good buys for the centre-forward role.

We also need a centre-back, someone pacy which we badly lack, someone experienced which again we lack. We also need a left-back because that left side is suffering, players like Duff and N'Zogbia.

So for me a centre-back, left-back and a striker. They don't have to be big names or cost big money, there are some good, solid players out there who could do a job. We should also look for versatile players who can play various roles and in various positions.

Finally, £10m is more than enough.

Nugent has looked good at U21 level too.

I think he could not only make it in the Premiership, but might adapt to the European challenge.

I think he could not only make it in the Premiership, but might adapt to the European challenge.

Shola looked good at U21 level, I wouldn't read too much into that.

I read into it that he's shown himself to be capable at that level.

Guest Knightrider

Shola looked good at U21 level, I wouldn't read too much into that.

Nugent, from what I have seen is a prodigious worker and is both strong and decent in the air, all things Shola isn't particularly strong at. While I don't think he'll pull up any trees in the Premiership goals wise, I think he'd do someone a job ala Kevin Davies.

We don't need to spend big on a forward. In fact doing so would be foolish given Owen will be back for next season - what we need is an experienced, reliable centre-forward - one on the cheap preferably. We don't need a goalscorer for me as there is goals in this team, no, we need an outlet, a centre-forward. I'd go for Kevin Davies at Bolton, an underrated player who could be that stop gap.

He won't score bags of goals but he will act as an outlet for the midfield to hit, somone who will bully and work opposition defenders and bring team-mates into play, a foil for Martins, someone to do all the donkey work and take away the attention of defenders from his heels.

These things have been sorely missing from our play this season, although Sibierski has admirably tried his best in that role (but lacks the legs and know-how, being a midfielder by trade).

One of the reasons for the midfield being overrun at times this season is down to having no-one up front who can shield the ball and play them in, someone who pins back defenders and allows team-mates to get up and support.

That in turn has had an adverse effect on the defence. Sort that out and the whole balance of the team will be far better for it.

If we are to spend big money on one player, I'd spend it on a player we are crying out for; one of either a box to box goalscoring midfielder or a playmaker creative type. I'd prefer a box to box player myself, someone in the Nolan mould. Having such a dynamic driving force through the centre who you know will charge into the box and get on the end of things would add so much to the team and an extra few goals from that area would be massive for us. But that's more long-term thinking.

Davies, Beattie (at a reasonable price i.e. £3m) or Viduka would all be good buys for the centre-forward role.

We also need a centre-back, someone pacy which we badly lack, someone experienced which again we lack. We also need a left-back because that left side is suffering, players like Duff and N'Zogbia.

So for me a centre-back, left-back and a striker. They don't have to be big names or cost big money, there are some good, solid players out there who could do a job. We should also look for versatile players who can play various roles and in various positions.

Your post suggests that a striker is a priority, someone who holds the ball up and allows the midfield to join up play, affecting the balance of the team. Then a left back.... ;)

Your post suggests that a striker is a priority, someone who holds the ball up and allows the midfield to join up play, affecting the balance of the team. Then a left back.... ;)

But - crucially divergent from your point - then a centre back rather than a right back...

Clearly the man is clueless. :lol: ;)

If we're going to spend big in any position I'd get a quality, proven central defender.

Ramage just isn't good enough in any position in my view, Huntington is far too inexperienced to be considered a viable short term option and I don't rate Bramble or Moore. Moore I feel is overrated by many fans and Bramble will always go through good periods then bad periods, he's a confidence player and always will be. Taylor is the one who has big potential in my view but needs a quality partner alongside him.

When we defend as a team we can keep clean sheets but we're sacrificing far too much going forward. When we've gone for goal we've leaked at the other end. We've scraped past Reading and Watford at home with goals in the dying minutes but this has papered over the cracks.

Guest Knightrider

In my head, it makes perfect sense :D

Nice post Knightrider though I really feel that we have to put our trust in Emre, Parker and Butt for the CM roles atm and look to strengthen elsewhere.

Agree 100% about the center forward. My dream since I am from Sweden would of course be a certain Z.Ibrahimovic but I guess that someone like Kevin Davies will have to do:)

i would love to see us get both baines, and glen johnson at outside backs.  two young talented players with plenty of promise...

my priority would be to fill these spots. on top of that if we're going to go after a striker nugent would be the quality, cheaper signing that we can accomodate right now.

Nice post Knightrider though I really feel that we have to put our trust in Emre, Parker and Butt for the CM roles atm and look to strengthen elsewhere.

Agree 100% about the center forward. My dream since I am from Sweden would of course be a certain Z.Ibrahimovic but I guess that someone like Kevin Davies will have to do:)

Zlatan is playing very well these days...Not that we could get him or afford him and he wouldn't change inter for us (i know you were not serious about him either) But i agree. He would be a ideal partner for martins..

Everybody said before this season that he was VERY overrated (because of one bad season)

Zlatan is playing very well these days...Not that we could get him or afford him and he wouldn't change inter for us (i know you were not serious about him either) But i agree. He would be a ideal partner for martins..

Everybody said before this season that he was VERY overrated (because of one bad season)

Yeah, It was a joke. I would be a dream but we could not afford and he would never want to play here. 6 goals so far and lots of assists. Perhaps the most talented or second most talented player in the world after Ronaldinho. The fact that Juve won the league 2 times out of 2 with Zlatan and Inter now looks to win the league 1 out of 1 with him says a lot.

Guest TheDutchman

Yeah, It was a joke. I would be a dream but we could not afford and he would never want to play here. 6 goals so far and lots of assists. Perhaps the most talented or second most talented player in the world after Ronaldinho. The fact that Juve won the league 2 times out of 2 with Zlatan and Inter now looks to win the league 1 out of 1 with him says a lot.

As a Ajax fan I admit Zlatan is a good player. But his presence is bad for the atmosphere in the team!

Seems to have grown as a person after having a child. You can never be sure though I guess.

I think Zlatan is one of those persons who can actually change. He is so highly motivated by being like the best player in the world and is willing to do and be whatever it takes to get there. Sure he can be an asshole at times but there is a world of difference between him and players like Collymore, Anelka and other. Havent heard anything bad at all from Inter about him.. yet:)

Guest TheDutchman

Seems to have grown as a person after having a child. You can never be sure though I guess.

I think Zlatan is one of those persons who can actually change. He is so highly motivated by being like the best player in the world and is willing to do and be whatever it takes to get there. Sure he can be an asshole at times but there is a world of difference between him and players like Collymore, Anelka and other. Havent heard anything bad at all from Inter about him.. yet:)

Yep, you're right. Havent heard any bad stories lately. I didint know he had a child. People can change. But I also think he keeps on playing for Inter.

Yep, you're right. Havent heard any bad stories lately. I didint know he had a child. People can change. But I also think he keeps on playing for Inter.

Maximilian or something is the name of the kid...

Looking at players like Toni and Ballack they took a while to get going. Johan Elmander is like 25 now and really starting to come good in my eyes.