Toon line up top targets

Guest smoggeordie

The World Cup stuffed up any planning. It became a matter of who wanted to move, what club could offer a particular level of football and personal terms in the space of a few weeks.

Prior to the WC we had Owen and Amoebi as the principle strikers and bought Martins and took in Sibiersky. Two big guys and two little fellows to play off them. Owen, knee stuffed that. If there was any bad planning it was not having Amoebi on a plane after the last game to have his hip fixed.

Definately a little panicing in the circumstances prevailing but whoever paniced got it right with Martins and Sib.

I love that Chezgiven has formed a new partnership with NE5. :lol:

On the basis that during the last transfer window an attacker was the priority and that i am pleased we got Martins over Huth and Knight then i cant see why you dont agree with me too.

Dont let your feelings towards NE5 cloud your judgement  :lol:

I agree that a striker was a priority. For one thing, you could have a terrific defence and midfield but if you can't score (especially at home) you're looking at the bottom half of the table. Also, you can play square pegs in round holes to extent in certain positions but if you try to do that with your centre-forward you'll struggle. That said, I'd rather we'd got a good centre-half and a left-back than Duff (who I rate btw, or at least did). And I think that many aspects of the transfer window could and should have been handled better, e.g persuing Woodgate after we'd decided Sol Campbell was too injury-prone (I was gutted at the time we never went for him) and chasing Kuyt was a waste of time too and that should have been obvious.

On the basis that during the last transfer window an attacker was the priority and that i am pleased we got Martins over Huth and Knight then i cant see why you dont agree with me too.

What ! Gem has feelings for me  :winking:

I agree that a striker was a priority. For one thing, you could have a terrific defence and midfield but if you can't score (especially at home) you're looking at the bottom half of the table. Also, you can play square pegs in round holes to extent in certain positions but if you try to do that with your centre-forward you'll struggle. That said, I'd rather we'd got a good centre-half and a left-back than Duff (who I rate btw, or at least did). And I think that many aspects of the transfer window could and should have been handled better, e.g persuing Woodgate after we'd decided Sol Campbell was too injury-prone (I was gutted at the time we never went for him) and chasing Kuyt was a waste of time too and that should have been obvious.

I think Woodgate will come here next season if he proves his fitness with Boro.

Campbell is on record saying that Redknapp is why he went to pompey. It was discussed at the weekend on GSS where they said that he had lost his passion for the game and he needed someone who could re-instill that. He was always going to be Harry's man.

Duff will come good too.

Its a love / hate thing, likely to develop into an obsession.  :lol:

Campbell is on record saying that Redknapp is why he went to pompey. It was discussed at the weekend on GSS where they said that he had lost his passion for the game and he needed someone who could re-instill that. He was always going to be Harry's man.

Duff will come good too.

Wasn't he supposed to be interested in coming he before he went to Portsmouth. That could have been paper bollocks but his saying all that about Redknapp could be just saying all the right things (without necessarily meaning them) after the move happened too. Either way, we should have tried to sign him imo. Also, I'm not sure I want Woodgate back here. We need someone more reliable fitness-wise.

Leazes occasionally pms me on Toontastic. I wouldn't normally disclose that sort of thing but I can't resist making Gemmill green with envy ;)

Duff will come good too.

Wasn't he supposed to be interested in coming he before he went to Portsmouth. That could have been paper bollocks but his saying all that about Redknapp could be just saying all the right things (without necessarily meaning them) after the move happened too. Either way, we should have tried to sign him imo. Also, I'm not sure I want Woodgate back here. We need someone more reliable fitness-wise.

Sure he was interested in coming here but the phrase one of the GSS panel used was 'other clubs were in for him but the feeling wasnt right'

Player feeling being another variable that makes 'planning' a bit on the uncertain side.

Oh and he'll be physically sick when he hears about the pms ;)

Leazes occasionally pms me on Toontastic. I wouldn't normally disclose that sort of thing but I can't resist making Gemmill green with envy ;)

From what I've heard about his hair, he'll end up looking quite seasonal.

Guest Gemmill

WOO!  Cyber high-five between the new best buddies. :lol:

WOO! Cyber high-five between the new best buddies. :lol:

Aw bless...poor Gemmill. I can just see you crying into your cocoa tonight, rocking backwards and forwards whilst listening to East 17's "Stay Another Day" :lol:

Dont let your feelings towards NE5 cloud your judgement :lol:

What ! Gem has feelings for me :winking:

Its a love / hate thing, likely to develop into an obsession. :lol:

WOO! Cyber high-five between the new best buddies. :lol:

Aw bless...poor Gemmill. I can just see you crying into your cocoa tonight, rocking backwards and forwards whilst listening to East 17's "Stay Another Day" :lol:

:lol: Good choice of song for that particular scenario  :thup:

Guest Gemmill

You wouldn't be trying to deflect the focus away from the fact you've been shot down in flames, like?

Yep, I was shot down in flames.  The summer transfer window was an unmitigated success.  I now realise my error.  :thup:

You wouldn't be trying to deflect the focus away from the fact you've been shot down in flames, like?

Yep, I was shot down in flames.  The summer transfer window was an unmitigated success.  I now realise my error.  :thup:

Me too, can't imagine how we ever thought it was a failure tbh blatant success! Player we didn't need for a third of our budget, loan signing form Man U, Aged attacking midfielder who was struggling and one quality striker, exactly what im sure we were aiming for at the start of the window  :thup:

With all the best planning in the world and the hardest work, sometimes deals that look 90% bang on, dont come off. Its f***ing naive not to understand this.   

I think we're all aware of this tbh.  It's also the case that with very little planning in place and very little work, most of the time deals don't come off for exactly those reasons.  And that's what happened at Newcastle - Huth was available all summer and after the window we were told that that's who Roeder wanted.  So why wait til deadline day?  When it was obvious days in advance of deadline day that Boro were stealing a march on us (I'm not saying I wanted Huth btw, but Roeder did) 

Comparing the way Newcastle do business with the way your employer (I gather a very large, very successful global business) does is pretty daft tbh.

Mindful of the financial position - after all money is money, is it beyond the realms of an accountant to comprehend that they were trying to knock the fee down ? Now you slate them for not paying the full price, while knowing you would have still slagged them off if they had done ?

They did well knocking the fee down didn't they?  And after all we've got a history of knocking fees down, haven't we?  Oh wait, no we haven't, you're talking shit again.

I expected you to dodge a straight reply. If as you say - we always pay over the odds, which is shite anyway - what is wrong with them trying to knock the fee down.

As usual, "damned if they do damned if they don't" with the heads in the sand brigade who think a knight in shining armour is waiting around the corner to supply the club with unlimited funds and win loads of trophies but cannot tell us who this person is.

You do understand the concept of spending your budget I take it ? Even that was money that was a risky spend, your chum Baggio will tell you how we should have really spent nothing, never mind paying the full price for a centre half when we had lost 3 forwards, so you should have a word with him.

Don't talk to me about dodging replies.  You don't dodge them as such, you just quote the post you're "replying to" then list things like 5th best in the premiership, England internationals, etc. etc.  You reply to every post with the same answer.

Your defence of Shepherd is increasingly pathetic.  You are a joke on here and on Toontastic.  It's only you that can't see it.  bluebigrazz.gif

5th best over a decade is a reply. It is a reply that tells people such a thing isn't shit. It should also tell you that it is far from mediocre.

If you can't accept this and think we have a divine right to be higher you have a problem. The ironic thing is, when Fred comes out and says the same sort of thing that you and your chums do, you slate him for talking shite and embarrassing you, but you embarrass yourself by spouting such rubbish. You have seen manu fans and other such idiots saying that Newcastle fans think they are a big club and they have won nothing since the 1950's? It is comments by the likes of you that they are talking about.

I am not defending anyone, I am stating facts. If you can't acknowledge that being the 5th most consistent qualifier for europe over a span of a decade makes us a long way detached from mediocre, then it is you that is pathetic. And quite a lot of your chums on toontastic are a joke to me, especially the ones who are totally unrealistic and the "anyone but Fred" arseholes, unable to grasp facts, have nothing to say, and no mind of their own.

Fantastically stupid of anyone to suggest they would swap places with Bolton ...... haha ......... you find any Bolton supporter who wouldn't swap places with us. Brilliantly stupid.  :lol:

I haven't even mentioned Bolton.  Anywhere.  I have no f***ing idea what you're talking about.  Are you replying to the voices in your head, you silly old sod. :lol:

Cheers for the stock reply though - I've heard it all before.  Apart from the Bolton bit though, that was a bit special. :lol:

one of your chums mentioned Bolton. As most of you seem to mimic each other and don't have a mind of your own, apart from Alex sometimes, I thought I would mention it but didn't say it was you anyway. It would appear that you and Baggio have plenty to talk about, you say the club should spend money, he says they shouldn't, he's jealous of Bolton despite us doing better than them, and you think such a thing is funny [which I agree with apart from Allardyce who I still think would have been a good bet for us].

The stock answer of factual information is fine. Even the stupidest of people will believe factual information eventually. Maybe.

:lol: I'll take that as a (back-handed) compliment  bluewink.gif

you can give me a backhander anytime you like  :winking:

Me too, can't imagine how we ever thought it was a failure tbh blatant success! Player we didn't need for a third of our budget, loan signing form Man U, Aged attacking midfielder who was struggling and one quality striker, exactly what im sure we were aiming for at the start of the window  :thup:

unrealistic people expecting a shte board to outspend Chelsea again, but you would still call them shite even if they did .....

unrealistic people expecting a shte board to outspend Chelsea again, but you would still call them shite even if they did .....

Aye I said we should outspend Chelsea  :thup:

you give that impression.

Yep I said we should spend £35-40m last summer  :thup:

Yep I said we should spend £35-40m last summer  :thup:

you have to accept that we had our budget, and spent it. Whether or not you think we should have bought defenders or attackers is your opinion, but where would we be if we had bought defenders instead of Martins, Sibierski and Duff ?