Loyalist football supporters? Are we f***

Guest smoggeordie

Guest TheDutchman

Newsflash!!!!

Society has changed.

Off course society has changed. Everyone knows. But whats better then to fantasise about the good old days.

Guest TheDutchman

I like a bit of wax on me barnet like.

Damn. a study english is thougher than being active on this forum. I dont understand that sentence.

Guest Gemmill

Damn. a study english is thougher than being active on this forum. I dont understand that sentence.

I like a dab of wax on my hair, old chap.  :winking:

Guest TheDutchman

I like a dab of wax on my hair, old chap. :winking:

:lol: Thanks. Im glad for you that you still got the hair;)

this is from another user on another forum and it concerns more the bad atmosphere at PL games. just to throw it in ;)

..no scene is anything like the UK one..

We've got the biggest, most historic football culture in the world and anything alien to our way of doing things gets a lot of stick and strange looks.

As an Island we're very inward looking too, 'British is best' etc. So when the idea of adopting a foreign concept gets bought up, it's considered against everything we stand for so there is always natural opposition. You say Norwegians are scared of 'losing English style' but for English people their fear is being forced into a mentality that is not their own and a dilution of everything they believe in.

A lot of English football fans are quite reserved anyway, so non stop singing, jumping up and down will never come naturally. It's not even natural to wear team colours, the casual culture started here for a reason, be prepared to REALLY stand out if you're going to make the necessary difference on your Kop.

We're up against something that no other nation contends with on this level, the pure misunderstanding of a mentality, which is why I think any group that makes an impact on these rigid, tradional football culture clubs deserves some level of credit.

F*ck all this ACAB, it's more a case of MEAI - Most English Are Ignorant

:) Do you really think the clubs will lower the prices of the tickets? Money makes the clubs blind. Perhaps when the stadium are half filled.

But I cant see that happen sadly enough.

Ask bolton, villa, blackburn, boro, fulham and man city if they can see half full grounds in the near future, the league champions sold less than half of there allocation at everton last week, and the week before fulham brought 300 to anfield. Attendances are falling.

As a Villa fan, i can comment on that.

One thing we are seeing is that with the current cost of going to matches, once you lose the fans, no matter for how short a period, it is very, very hard indeed to get them back.

Last season we had something like 22,000 season ticket holders. We had a shit season, and over this last season, something approaching half of the ST holders didn't renew, in protest at the Ellis / O'Leary regime.

What we've seen so far this season is that once these people find other things to do with their money, it is very, very hard indeed to get them back again, mainly because if you set aside 500 quid or so for your season ticket, then don't renew and spend it on something else instead, it is such a large some of money that it is hard to find that cash again.

We had 27,000 last week against Bolton, which was shocking. Bolton brought about 150 supporters.  The match was played at 5.15 on a Saturday, at the behest of Sky. That's the last but one saturday before Christmas. Which brings me to my other point - if the cost of going to matches doesn't kill football, then Sky will do, eventually.

Newcastle's support seems to turn up regardless, but almost all other clubs don't have that luxury, I just think that the combination of high prices for low quality football (why does it cost so much to watch our league than, say, the imho better Spanish league?) and saturation television coverage are slowly but surely killing the game.

Guest TheDutchman

this is from another user on another forum and it concerns more the bad atmosphere at PL games. just to throw it in ;)

We've got the biggest, most historic football culture in the world and anything alien to our way of doing things gets a lot of stick and strange looks.

As an Island we're very inward looking too, 'British is best' etc. So when the idea of adopting a foreign concept gets bought up, it's considered against everything we stand for so there is always natural opposition. You say Norwegians are scared of 'losing English style' but for English people their fear is being forced into a mentality that is not their own and a dilution of everything they believe in.

A lot of English football fans are quite reserved anyway, so non stop singing, jumping up and down will never come naturally. It's not even natural to wear team colours, the casual culture started here for a reason, be prepared to REALLY stand out if you're going to make the necessary difference on your Kop.

We're up against something that no other nation contends with on this level, the pure misunderstanding of a mentality, which is why I think any group that makes an impact on these rigid, tradional football culture clubs deserves some level of credit.

:lol: a bit overreacting I think. Altough I do recognize some points.

The atmosphere in England is still great. If you compare it with other countrys. Altough I think the atmosphere in Germany is great too(sorry for that)

Guest TheDutchman

:) Do you really think the clubs will lower the prices of the tickets? Money makes the clubs blind. Perhaps when the stadium are half filled.

But I cant see that happen sadly enough.

Totally agree with you. I also think that the large number of foreign players in the PL kills the football. Just look at the number of new talents.

Ask bolton, villa, blackburn, boro, fulham and man city if they can see half full grounds in the near future, the league champions sold less than half of there allocation at everton last week, and the week before fulham brought 300 to anfield. Attendances are falling.

As a Villa fan, i can comment on that.

One thing we are seeing is that with the current cost of going to matches, once you lose the fans, no matter for how short a period, it is very, very hard indeed to get them back.

Last season we had something like 22,000 season ticket holders. We had a shit season, and over this last season, something approaching half of the ST holders didn't renew, in protest at the Ellis / O'Leary regime.

What we've seen so far this season is that once these people find other things to do with their money, it is very, very hard indeed to get them back again, mainly because if you set aside 500 quid or so for your season ticket, then don't renew and spend it on something else instead, it is such a large some of money that it is hard to find that cash again.

We had 27,000 last week against Bolton, which was shocking. Bolton brought about 150 supporters. The match was played at 5.15 on a Saturday, at the behest of Sky. That's the last but one saturday before Christmas. Which brings me to my other point - if the cost of going to matches doesn't kill football, then Sky will do, eventually.

Newcastle's support seems to turn up regardless, but almost all other clubs don't have that luxury, I just think that the combination of high prices for low quality football (why does it cost so much to watch our league than, say, the imho better Spanish league?) and saturation television coverage are slowly but surely killing the game.

The atmosphere in England is still great. If you compare it with other countrys. Altough I think the atmosphere in Germany is great too(sorry for that)

well, it's slightly off context.. it's more about the english style of supporting compared to the south european for example.. and why people prefer to sit and not sing during games.

I take it that guy is talking about introducing continental ultra-style culture to British football, which is a whole other topic. Getting the old atmosphere back and orchestrating flag displays are two very different things. There speaks a Brit.

Edit: ^ Ah, there we go :D

Guest TheDutchman

well, it's slightly off context.. it's more about the english style of supporting compared to the south european for example.. and why people prefer to sit and not sing during games.

Do you think the style of supporting has changed in the last 20 years? in southern european countrys only a small group in the staium is singing the entire match.

I wouldn't agree about sitting... or even singing, depending on what you mean. The British display an extraordinary reticence to start following the orders of blokes holding loud-hailers and release streamers in unison. Now that's not to say we can't or haven't made a hell of a racket, we just don't do it in the foreign way.

Guest TheDutchman

I wouldn't agree about sitting... or even singing, depending on what you mean. The British display an extraordinary reticence to start following the orders of blokes holding loud-hailers and release streamers in unison. Now that's not to say we can't or haven't made a hell of a racket, we just don't do it in the foreign way.

And I hopes it stays that way. You should be proud of the way you're supporting your team/country. Who needs loud-hailers anyway

That's true.

Except for Walsall fans, as this amusing clip shows:

Check out the big guy at the front.

Our support last night was crap.

Very little passion and no originality. I heard 3 chants -  the over used "Same old Chelsea..."  the moronic "Toon Toon B&W army" and I think I even heard strains of "where were you when you were shit" from L7.  FFS !  It's all so predictable and sterile nowadays.

Blame the club for never taking the initiative to create a "singing end" where younger like minded fans can go wild, and why oh why is the inane screeching music played through squawky speakers right up to kick off. That is sure to kill off any atmosphere.

Compare the Frankfurt atmosphere to the puerile SJP one. Who wouldn't prefer to watch the match in a real atmosphere. It's not just Frankfurt most German grounds, Schalke, Hamburg, St.Pauli etc etc are a din of noise and colour most games.

It's OK for Roeder asking us to wave scarves and make noise, but the situation is so bad nowadays the club needs to create some kind of initiative to make it happen. What they must realise is that one of the reasons why some people attend matches is to be part of an atmosphere and having no atmosphere will ultimately lead to reduced attendance.

That's true.

Except for Walsall fans, as this amusing clip shows:

Check out the big guy at the front.

:lol: Excellent

Very little passion and no originality. I heard 3 chants - the over used "Same old Chelsea..." the moronic "Toon Toon B&W army" and I think I even heard strains of "where were you when you were shit" from L7. FFS ! It's all so predictable and sterile nowadays.

Blame the club for never taking the initiative to create a "singing end" where younger like minded fans can go wild, and why oh why is the inane screeching music played through squawky speakers right up to kick off. That is sure to kill off any atmosphere.

Compare the Frankfurt atmosphere to the puerile SJP one. Who wouldn't prefer to watch the match in a real atmosphere. It's not just Frankfurt most German grounds, Schalke, Hamburg, St.Pauli etc etc are a din of noise and colour most games.

It's OK for Roeder asking us to wave scarves and make noise, but the situation is so bad nowadays the club needs to create some kind of initiative to make it happen. What they must realise is that one of the reasons why some people attend matches is to be part of an atmosphere and having no atmosphere will ultimately lead to reduced attendance.

Don't Germany also have the lowest ticket prices of the major european countries, too? Coincidence?

For me the chant that makes me cringe is "your support is fucking shit" as sung in every PL ground. How fucking pointless is that?

Very little passion and no originality. I heard 3 chants - the over used "Same old Chelsea..." the moronic "Toon Toon B&W army" and I think I even heard strains of "where were you when you were shit" from L7. FFS ! It's all so predictable and sterile nowadays.

Don't Germany also have the lowest ticket prices of the major european countries, too? Coincidence?

For me the chant that makes me cringe is "your support is f***ing shit" as sung in every PL ground. How f***ing pointless is that?

Yes football in Germany is much more affordable than England, but there again so are most things. There is also a kind of "beer and bratwurst" mentality at German grounds which has never really changed.

German clubs also feel more like "clubs" and it's not unusual for players to be drinking with fans in clubhouse bars after the game almost like non league clubs in England. Very different to our stars who are quickly whisked back off into the stratosphere after entertaining (???) the masses.

Guest Deep456

The guy who was sitting directly behind me tonight signified everything that is wrong with a lot of our fans at the moment:

He was in the middle of singing Geordie boot boys, then...:

"....we are the loyalist football supporters.............Ramage you shit c*** your f***ing shit F*** off to Darlo why are you f***ing passing it to Given????!!???"

Erm, maybe mate, because he has a 31 million pound striker haring in at him when the game is delicately balanced at nil nil.

Or...

"Martins you f***ing (racist remark) you're shit (hits crossbar)....ooooooooooba oba fem!!!!"

I'd rather we go back down to 36,000 and get rid of these nob heads. At least he didn't get a good view of the game ;)

Can I just ask did you report him and get him a perm ban like that other cu*t.

no, i'm not saying english fans can't support their teams properly.. i think it's more a case of restrictions to the grounds that's murdering the atmosphere in the PL.. you know, season ticket allocations and the non-standing policy..

imo, the bit i quoted refers to the reluctance of UK fans in general to change anything.. cause if such restrictions are applied in Italy for example, there would be riots. In my country we light flares and torches, jump on seats, wave flags and scarfs (not free ones ;)) and basically sing the whole 90 mins and for me that's what it's all about, cause if i want to see the game properly i'd rather watch it on TV..

Guest TheDutchman

no, i'm not saying english fans can't support their teams properly.. i think it's more a case of restrictions to the grounds that's murdering the atmosphere in the PL.. you know, season ticket allocations and the non-standing policy..

imo, the bit i quoted refers to the reluctance of UK fans in general to change anything.. cause if such restrictions are applied in Italy for example, there would be riots. In my country we light flares and torches, jump on seats, wave flags and scarfs (not free ones ;)) and basically sing the whole 90 mins and for me that's what it's all about, cause if i want to see the game properly i'd rather watch it on TV..

Where are you from?

Guest nufc 4 life

I went to Stamford Bridg on wednesday to see the match and was amazed at how quite it was in the stadium, the fans are full of f****ing glory hunters who come along to see a squad made up purely on a fondation of money, 5 years ago chelsea were on the brink of dying they had so much debt it was crazy, then Roman Abromavich comes along with his billions and changes the squad so much it is barely recognisible from that of a year or 2 ago, that's not football. I was proud to be a newcastle fan because it was only the geordie fans that you could hear, half the stadium started singing a song they got 2 lines in and fell silent because they didn't know the song lmao that tells its own story. So let's keep up the brilliant support that this club has, lets keep waving those scarves and lets cut out the f****ing racist remarks that is killing the game.