Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

For us to get relegated it would require teams who have been absolutely shite all season completely turning that around, plus as mole pointed out despite yesterdays result we have been in very good form since the new signings came in. Someone posted a graphic yesterday where are form was in the top 6. Let's not get carried away with one poor result where we have every right to feel aggrieved because of some really poor decisions that have gone against us.

I personally think we will be fine, we have shown enough since the new lads have came in, to think that we are pretty much safe. Before yesterdays game, we were on good form, we had only lost 2 in 10 including Europa League games, and as others have said there are teams who have been much worse then us this season. At-least now with the new players we have back-up when players get injured and don't have to rely on youth.

For us to get relegated it would require teams who have been absolutely s**** all season completely turning that around, plus as mole pointed out despite yesterdays result we have been in very good form since the new signings came in. Someone posted a graphic yesterday where are form was in the top 6. Let's not get carried away with one poor result where we have every right to feel aggrieved because of some really poor decisions that have gone against us.

The most worrying thing for me is that in the immediate future, its likely it'll be back to 3 points. We've got City away and Wigan have Norwich at home. You'd expect City and Wigan wins (of course you never know).

Then its the two two home games against Fulham and the Mackems. I cant see us losing both, if we take 4 points out of those two it should be enough to carry us to the end of the season. Still has potential to be very nervy though. Need to get players back fit again too.

Not sure how it requires a complete turnaround from anyone other than Wigan, who always do it. Villa, Saints, mackems are all within three points of us.

Obviously a couple of wins will probably see us safe but given the difficulty we have in beating anyone away, and anyone at home that isn't shit (Chelsea the exception), I can't say I'm 100% confident in getting them.

Guest icemanblue

Stu and Inochi never been off 1 aye?

Dummies :lol:

Nope, and I'm still not. I won't resort to pathetic digs with playground insults either.

We have a tough, tough fixture at City next but Southampton have Chelsea at home, Villa Liverpool at home, Wigan play Norwich so one or both will drop points and QPR go to Fulham. Mackems have Man U. Unless there's some really extraordinary results we shouldn't be drawn further into it assuming ofcourse we lose at City.

This 2 week break might not be a bad time to take stock and re-charge the batteries for some of the players.

Agreed. Three points going into Fulham is terrifying.

This in-out thing will keep happening as long as our away form is so disgusting. We simply cannot pull away because for every home win is a fairly sure defeat.

Guest Roger Kint

Braindead mackems in the pub celebrating their winner yesterday. Had to spell it out to them that it was a terrible result for them. One said 'rather go down than want you lot to get anything'. Fucking morons  :idiot2:

This in-out thing will keep happening as long as our away form is so disgusting. We simply cannot pull away because for every home win is a fairly sure defeat.

Home games against left against Fulham, Mackems, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Lot of pressure on that Fulham game (as there was earlier in the season in our home matches against Wigan and QPR). It's the one that is sandwiched between our quarter-final legs too, sadly.

Man City, QPR, West Brom and West Ham away.

Our goal difference is quite a bit better, thats essentially an extra point on the teams in the bottom 3 and Villa. An avoidance of a pasting at City would be nice aswell.

The two home games after are huge. If we can't muster 6 points from a remaining 8 games then we deserve to go down.

Nope, and I'm still not. I won't resort to pathetic digs with playground insults either.

No need to be so sensitive precious. Sorry to point it out but being on a 1 at this stage of the season is simply ignoring the reality around you. If I recall correctly one of the main reasons you were sure we would stay up was the influx of players and return of Cabaye & HBA. Those reasons are now looking shaky as fuck, as is our form :lol:

No need to be so sensitive precious. Sorry to point it out but being on a 1 at this stage of the season is simply ignoring the reality around you. If I recall correctly one of the main reasons you were sure we would stay up was the influx of players and return of Cabaye & HBA. Those reasons are now looking shaky as fuck, as is our form :lol:

Our form isn't shaky as fuck :lol:

Definitely a 1, we're fine.

Home games against left against Fulham, Mackems, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Lot of pressure on that Fulham game (as there was earlier in the season in our home matches against Wigan and QPR). It's the one that is sandwiched between our quarter-final legs too, sadly.

Man City, QPR, West Brom and West Ham away.

I reckon we'll get an away win, plus 5pts at home. A very realistic scenario, which puts us on 41 and finishing 13th/14th.

Guest icemanblue

Our form is not 'shaky as fuck', at all. I'm not ignoring the reality of the situation, I'm simply not reverting to hysterical mode based on a massively unfair defeat. If I was at a '1' during our worst form of the season, I'm hardly likely to rethink that when we're six points (plus goal difference) away from the drop.

Fulham and Mackems are must win games. That will give us 39 which this season might be enough. I'd rather we got 40-42 which would be truly safe. It's gonna be close if we lose one of those two home games.

:idiot2:

We've beaten Stoke, Soton, Villa and Chelsea - three of those it would have been shameful not to have beaten anyway, but then we lose to Wigan so that balances that out.

:anguish: x10

I think some people have painted themselves into a corner and now feel they'll look stupid by turning and saying the manager should go. That's the only explanation I can offer for those prepared to defend what has been an utter car crash of a season.

Only by the exceptional standards of last season though.

Putting aside the disappointment from yesterday's result; what have we achieved so far this season?

- improving the squad with the acquisition of several promising (and experienced) players in key positions.

- a reasonably lengthy return to European action after 6/7 years absence (we could have easily gone out at the group stage, given the poor performances and injury issues in the league)

- a relatively drama-free season; something to be mindful of given the off-field turbulence between club, owner and fans in the past decade. No dodgy news reports about the team/players, no front page 'ffs' headlines. Generally positive reactions to club news (wonga, excepted perhaps)

We've had quite a sizeable turnover of players under Pardew; almost a brand new first XI from when he took over 2 years ago. Are we really expecting all of this fluctuation to be smooth and a benefit to the players/team?

Expectations haven't been lowered, but there's definitely a point where some people can recognise the overall improvement of the club (and the team), even if the short-term results haven't been stellar. Perhaps it's more a case of others wanting to substantiate their initial opinions of the manager and not remembering what it was like to support a club where you didn't mind the owner/chairman/chief executive/manager/tea lady..?

It shows the terrible quality of the PL this year.

Not only are a really pretty unspectacular team running away with the league, but there are four points separating 17th and 11th, and in that bunch of teams, there are several who aren't playing very well at all.

When you strengthened in January, I thought you had effectively ensured you wouldn't go down. I watched most of your match yesterday, though, and was really surprised at how lacklustre and, well, unbothered you looked for much of it, so I am now not too sure at all.

What will happen, though, is at least one side will have a terrible run in and find themselves right in the relegation mire. I think that team is definitely going to be Sunderland, but if you look at the current form table, West Ham are also not looking too clever.

We are still definitely in the shit, potentially, but we've been playing pretty well for the last few weeks, without necessarily getting the results. Plus, we're scoring goals. Since the start of the year, Agbonlahor has 4 in 9, Benteke has 9 in 11 and Weimann has 3 in 9, despite being stuck out wide most of the time. Our problem comes with defending, we're having to score 3 goals to win games.

Anyway, whilst I think there are plenty of teams playing bad enough to go down, I think it will actually be Sunderland, Reading and QPR (and the second two of those are practically gone already).

Guest neesy111

We just need to get the points, stay up and completely forget what has been an abysmal season.  Our away record is embarrassing.

Our form is not 'shaky as fuck', at all. I'm not ignoring the reality of the situation, I'm simply not reverting to hysterical mode based on a massively unfair defeat. If I was at a '1' during our worst form of the season, I'm hardly likely to rethink that when we're six points (plus goal difference) away from the drop.

nobody is reverting to hysterical mode - you repeating it doesn't make it true you know - but i'd love know what makes you so sure we're good for the points?  as i've said i think we'll scrape it but to stubbornly insist on 1 is madness, juts sheer madness

again we had that run of what 11 in 13 (or whatever) when there was no HBA & cabaye...well now we're down them, plus colo, plus whoever else for however long at the weekend...sissoko is being used incorrectly (always was imo) and teams can shut him down now they know what he's about

what i'm saying is there are very clear and present reasons that we're not likely to storm the next 8 games, a number of them have already been experienced earlier in the season and the only answer the manager had was to beg for new players, which he got...what's his answer going to be this time?  probably back to plan-shola :lol:

8 games is fuck all either way, i'm aware of that, and a couple of wins is possible to easily pull us away from it but to look at the scale right now and say firmly 1 you're ignoring early season history, current context, and the shite football we've played most of the season, sorry but you are

I honestly don't know what to think about him. I've not really seen you play much this season.

What I will say, though, is that from the outside looking in, your transfer approach looks excellent, and there is a certain amount of jealousy for the way you clearly did some proper scouting and brought in players like HBA, Cabaye etc.

I certainly know that our fans were green with envy in January when you did good business, but we did next to none (although, I have to say, ironically, the French import we made, albeit from Ligue 2, has looked very good in his two games thus far).

I don't know how much of, say, your success last season was due to the manager and how much was down to Carr, though, in bringing in the right players, thus making Pardew's job relatively straightforward.

Like I said, though, I find it baffling, utterly baffling, that you've followed such a good season with such a poor one.