Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I thought Howe’s management of that LC game was masterful tbh.  He rotated, could see that there were issues, changed at HT and we looked like a different side second half.  Perfect.

Rotation doesn’t mean changing the entire XI for me, though.  It means swapping out one or two players game by game.  I still think we’ll see Howe doing that from now on - the man learns from his mistakes. 

When you don’t play your strongest team and lose - yes some will criticise you. But you make the hard decisions for the long term benefit of the season. 

We have a small squad to start with considering we play in the CL. Taking the league cup seriously is a questionable thing to do as it means we’ll play 29 games by New Year’s Day. 

It’s not hindsight from me. I suggested throwing the Man U game and playing kids. I was bemoaning the lack of subs from the Wolves game. 

Last season - Howe stuck to his guns, when I thought best for him to twist and it worked out much better his way. I don’t mean to come across overly critical.  But he has his approach, he’s not big on rotation and he’s contributed to this knackered squad. He’s not prioritised sharpness and fitness. His attempts at rotation have been insufficient. 

11 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

No need. Fuck off. 

We made those changes as it was necessary to win the tie. The alternative was throwing it. You're focusing on minutiae in one game where Howe got everything right. Laters. 

And my point is Howe always does what is necessary to win the next game. That has contributed to a knackered squad. 

In isolation of winning the next game, Gordon should start every single game. With a view of 6–10 games or longer - it’s probably best that he sat out one or two to keep him fresh and sharp. Even if that meant starting Ritchie or Hall. It would pay off over the medium to long term. Howe hasn’t done that. 

Edited by The College Dropout

38 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

When you don’t play your strongest team and lose - yes some will criticise you. But you make the hard decisions for the long term benefit of the season. 

We have a small squad to start with considering we play in the CL. Taking the league cup seriously is a questionable thing to do as it means we’ll play 29 games by New Year’s Day. 

It’s not hindsight from me. I suggested throwing the Man U game and playing kids. I was bemoaning the lack of subs from the Wolves game. 

Last season - Howe stuck to his guns, when I thought best for him to twist and it worked out much better his way. I don’t mean to come across overly critical.  But he has his approach, he’s not big on rotation and he’s contributed to this knackered squad. He’s not prioritised sharpness and fitness. His attempts at rotation have been insufficient. 

You are an absolute mong. You don't play a weak team in a cup quater final when you're team hasn't won a trophy in 55 years😂. Buffoon. 

39 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No, I don’t think it is hindsight at all - I believe you were saying precisely that at the time.  I’m one of those who hates seeing reserve XIs start cup games - if anyone is looking for those who hop up and down on the spot for that stuff, it’s me.

I think Howe’s rotation has been insufficient in that it isn’t an all-or-nothing move.  Swapping your right back one match, then a centre mid the next is how sensible rotation normally operates.  We played the same starting XI in the first five league games of the season - the only time we had a full squad available.  I doubt that will happen again. 

2 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

You are an absolute mong. You don't play a weak team in a cup quater final when you're team hasn't won a trophy in 55 years😂. Buffoon. 

I agree re playing a weakened team in a QF - I’d rather rest players in a league game - but ‘mong’ isn’t necessary; it’s a horrible word mate.  

1 hour ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Knowing Howe, we will go on a class run very soon. Even today, I thought we played some absolutely lush football in that first 30 minutes - when we nail that coordinated one-touch passing, it's easily the best stuff I've seen us produce in my lifetime.

I'm looking forward to seeing us closer to full tilt again in the coming weeks, hopefully with some extra hungry players back and a couple of additions too.

We usually get shite all at Anfield so it's all about putting in a really good, unified performance for me. Something to build on going into the next run of games.

Having lost to Luton and Forest we will go to Anfield and get a result, just Newcastle all over that 

3 hours ago, Interpolic said:

Tbh one of the main things I remember about earlier this season was loads moaning when Murphy or Wilson started. Nice easy argument to crowbar in now we're suffering though. 

It lodged in my mind last season that people wanted Almiron/Murphy or Willock/Longstaff off only to whinge about the lacklustre performance of their replacement. Like the punishment of withdrawal was as far as the thought got and no heed was paid to who the alternative was. Bit like with this injury crisis we should have been tinkering our way through with Christ knows what given we've had three keepers, bairns, a coach and empty slots on the bench but just get those starting XI cunts off

Edited by Jonas

6 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I don’t think Howe has a choice but to do what he’s doing now - and yes, I’m well aware of how long this has been going on.  Just saying that he overplayed players when he had a choice - even in October we had multiple options at FB, for example, and he wouldn’t drop / rest Trippier or Burn until they were completely fucked.  Don’t take it as me saying that Howe is 100% to blame or responsible for an injury crisis; I do though think he isn’t blameless 

He rotated Isak and Wilson right from the start, he switched Gordon Barnes, it's how Barnes got injured, he brought Murphy in at Milan to rotate Almiron, he didn't have Willock or Longstaff to rotate with, then Tonali gets suspended and Joelinton gets injured and has to play while unfit, Botman goes long-term.........but its all because he didn't pull Trippier out of a week, he doesn't rotate, rest or use the squad.

Just now, madras said:

He rotated Isak and Wilson right from the start, he switched Gordon Barnes, it's how Barnes got injured, he brought Murphy in at Milan to rotate Almiron, he didn't have Willock or Longstaff to rotate with, then Tonali gets suspended and Joelinton gets injured and has to play while unfit, Botman goes long-term.........but its all because he didn't pull Trippier out of a week, he doesn't rotate, rest or use the squad.

He started with the same XI in the first five league games.  It took knocks and injuries to start moving the team around.

We’re not going to agree on this one by the looks of it madras - I think Howe is an excellent manager and I don’t want to see anyone else in charge, but I think he’s made errors this season and they’re catching up with us.  We’ve had bad luck with some injuries, but our playing style has contributed to others.  We’ve won one league away game in the last fourteen; if we lose at Anfield we’ve lost as many games as we’ve won this season, and there has been serious investment on the playing side.  Howe isn’t immune from criticism - those calling for him to get the chop are being daft, but he’s not blameless for what’s happening.  He can’t be given credit for when we’re winning and playing well but it’s nowt to do with him when we’re not. 

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He started with the same XI in the first five league games.  It took knocks and injuries to start moving the team around.

We’re not going to agree on this one by the looks of it madras - I think Howe is an excellent manager and I don’t want to see anyone else in charge, but I think he’s made errors this season and they’re catching up with us.  We’ve had bad luck with some injuries, but our playing style has contributed to others.  We’ve won one league away game in the last fourteen; if we lose at Anfield we’ve lost as many games as we’ve won this season, and there has been serious investment on the playing side.  Howe isn’t immune from criticism - those calling for him to get the chop are being daft, but he’s not blameless for what’s happening.  He can’t be given credit for when we’re winning and playing well but it’s nowt to do with him when we’re not. 

First 4 games with a swathe of subs, I dont think anyone is too knacjered then? It didn't take knocks and injuries to play Barnes or Murphy, Longstaff for Tonali, rotating Isak and Wilson for league or Champions league was deliberate.

I'll take him task for not taking Trippier off at Wolves and even that's with hindsight, but outside if that there's little he's been able to do.

Edited by madras

43 minutes ago, madras said:

First 4 games with a swathe of subs, I dont think anyone is too knacjered then? It didn't take knocks and injuries to play Barnes or Murphy, Longstaff for Tonali, rotating Isak and Wilson for league or Champions league was deliberate.

I'll take him task for not taking Trippier off at Wolves and even that's with hindsight, but outside if that there's little he's been able to do.

They aren’t too knackered then - and that’s the point.  You don’t wait until they are to start rotating them.  You avoid them becoming fatigued by rotating when they are fresh 

19 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They aren’t too knackered then - and that’s the point.  You don’t wait until they are to start rotating them.  You avoid them becoming fatigued by rotating when they are fresh 

He did when he could given  Willock was already out and Longstaff playing his way back after injury. Add in the heavy use of subs, like last season, it's not like the whole team was slogging through a full 90 for those 4 games which were a week apart.

Edited by madras

I think people in general underestimated the impact of “fatigue” on the effectiveness of Howe’s plan A tactics.

We all had given huge praise to Howe, especially on his ability to bring out the best of our players. Players like Almiron is, genuinely speaking, just relegation team standards. The reason why he can play so well under Howe is because Howe makes a system that, if every players are willing to run and cover as a team, maintain a very high intensity of pressure, then we can beat teams with players much better than ours. 

What if the players are unable to keep their work rate and coverage on the pitch? The answer is out there already. Fucking obvious. Yesterdays Woods third goal - yes he did make a good run but, why would that pass happen in the first place? Look at the space we gave to their defenders.

That’s the result of fatigue. We simply cannot run the tactics after 30 mins. Whether you want to blame Howe or Lady Luck or not it’s up to you.

To me, if the system simply doesn’t work with a fatigued squad, then either change it or use fresh players. I would even give it a go to use reserves / youth players as long as they can run for 90 mins.

58 minutes ago, Zero said:

I think people in general underestimated the impact of “fatigue” on the effectiveness of Howe’s plan A tactics.

We all had given huge praise to Howe, especially on his ability to bring out the best of our players. Players like Almiron is, genuinely speaking, just relegation team standards. The reason why he can play so well under Howe is because Howe makes a system that, if every players are willing to run and cover as a team, maintain a very high intensity of pressure, then we can beat teams with players much better than ours. 

What if the players are unable to keep their work rate and coverage on the pitch? The answer is out there already. Fucking obvious. Yesterdays Woods third goal - yes he did make a good run but, why would that pass happen in the first place? Look at the space we gave to their defenders.

That’s the result of fatigue. We simply cannot run the tactics after 30 mins. Whether you want to blame Howe or Lady Luck or not it’s up to you.

To me, if the system simply doesn’t work with a fatigued squad, then either change it or use fresh players. I would even give it a go to use reserves / youth players as long as they can run for 90 mins.

I agree that fatigue means that Howe’s play style doesn’t work, but I think the third comes as much from a lack of shape in defence and midfield - and Dubravka’s inability to play sweeper - as it does fatigue. 

Pardew, Bruce, McClaren get a lucky win out of nowhere in one of the next two league games to buy them some time when we used to be hoping for a defeat to see the end of them.

Now we have a manager we like I don't see him getting the same luck. :lol:

We're going to be around 10-11th after the next 3 league games. I still think we'll get into the top 7 by the end of the season once players come back and we can freshen things up more. 

Everyone wants us to sign DM, and me too, but I think Howe will not see it like that sadly. Bruno will be the deepest of the midfield and centrally all the time, and dont think he has the legs to play no8 in this Howe’s system. I would play him as a left sided 8, with Longstaff or Miley now at right. DM has to be very good passer, and that would help change Burn to more attacking left back. 

12 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

Everyone wants us to sign DM, and me too, but I think Howe will not see it like that sadly. Bruno will be the deepest of the midfield and centrally all the time, and dont think he has the legs to play no8 in this Howe’s system. I would play him as a left sided 8, with Longstaff or Miley now at right. DM has to be very good passer, and that would help change Burn to more attacking left back. 

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

The sun shines out of Eddie's arse. Not saying he can't make mistakes or anything but the man is a legend, at this club, in the making. 

Like the board said, we jumped the shark too early and this season was always going to be difficult. Losing Tonali, as we did, then a string of injuries unparalleled by any other team just compounded that struggle. 

I've absolutely no doubt the owner's/board's ambitions have reflected that. 

Some "fans" on the other hand are like a bloke who's been married to an ugly woman for 30 years that refused to suck him off, even once. He's finally binned her off, had a few years in the wilderness then copped off with a gorgeous model and demands a blow job on the second date. 

It's irrelevant what's gone before, patience. 

Edited by Groundhog63

8 minutes ago, PeepShow4life said:

Crazy the amount of people who resort to personal insults if someone doesn't share their opinion about anything, let alone a very subjective topic like football. 

I did some time, for the crime, and spent it reflecting on the reality that N-O isn't Skunkers 😂

I'm like a new man..........ish

Mental reading this thread as an outsider. :lol:

My thoughts:

Are you in poor form? Yes.

Is fatigue/injuries to blame? Yes.

Should Howe also take blame? Yes.

Should Howe be sacked? Only if you're a fucking mentalist. 

The guy took over a relegation threatened side and has had four windows, one of which you were signing players like Chris Wood just to stay up. We realistically shouldn't even be talking about Newcastle breaking into the top four yet, yet you finished fourth in his first full season in charge.

He's a victim of his own success.

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Mental reading this thread as an outsider. :lol:

My thoughts:

Are you in poor form? Yes.

Is fatigue/injuries to blame? Yes.

Should Howe also take blame? Yes.

Should Howe be sacked? Only if you're a fucking mentalist. 

The guy took over a relegation threatened side and has had four windows, one of which you were signing players like Chris Wood just to stay up. We realistically shouldn't even be talking about Newcastle breaking into the top four yet, yet you finished fourth in his first full season in charge.

He's a victim of his own success.

It's bad reading this thread as an insider as well. I agree with your thoughts. I'm going to enjoy the rest of my holidays, so will give this thread a wide berth. 

Such a mental take to suggest replacing Howe at this stage.

First real dip in form after the worst injury crisis I can remember.

Going by some posters here and X it looks like we should change managers every 6 months. I am sure they would call for Peps head if we where in manc situation as well😂