Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Sacking Eddie would be catastrophic for the club - and for me it won't happen.  He's still the dressing room, he's still the fans, we could finishing 17th and I wouldn't want Eddie sacked.  And I think the owners know that - Jan will be telling for me in how much they back him.  As we need players. 

2 minutes ago, duo said:

Sacking Eddie would be catastrophic for the club - and for me it won't happen.  He's still the dressing room, he's still the fans, we could finishing 17th and I wouldn't want Eddie sacked.  And I think the owners know that - Jan will be telling for me in how much they back him.  As we need players. 

I think in a way these injuries have shown the need for a deeper squad - so there may be some 'targeted' purchases to cover the areas that we are weak in. GK for one.

19 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I agree regarding the sheff Utd game and would add the palace one in when I would have made earlier subs. However anyone having a go at him trying to win cup games, when we haven’t won a trophy in forever is mad to me. 

Im Not having a go for him trying to win cup games. I’m criticising his approach to keeping players fit and sharp. He could’ve rested players in the CL or league instead. He didn’t do that either. He has tried to tinker with our press, especially away from home - but that hasn’t worked at all.

Btw I love his winning mentality. But he’s been a bit naive imo. 

Edited by The College Dropout

If we were to miss out on Europe altogether at the end of the season surely that can’t be seen as progress. I’d say that we need Europe to satisfy the owners and to show the wider football world that we are indeed here to stay. If we’d fall away and finish 10th-14th there will be issues legitimizing “the project” (as 🤢 as that sounds).

There will also be financial ramifications as a result of that which won’t help us at all in the coming windows. Our sponsorship deals are probably (as they should be) incentivized and we’d probably have to sell one or two of our crown jewels to give us some room for the much needed signings of the required quality.

On the other hand - Eddie has shown before that he’s more than capable of constructing a team from rubble. So were he to get the chance to rebuild he’ll have us up chasing the Top 4 again. He’d definitely deserve that for me at least. As piss poor as the last few weeks have been. 

17 minutes ago, Zero said:

I think there are in fact two questions:

1. Should Howe be sacked?

I think pretty much 99% people here would say no fucking way

2. Will Howe be sacked?

Now that’s the tricky part. Look at the fixtures. We could lose all games in January including the Sunderland cup game. The next realistic 3 points would be from Luton.

My genuine prediction is IF we lose all games including that Luton league game, Howe will be sacked.

And from what I have read that’s what seems to be a bit of a consensus viewpoint.

IF all games were lost (including a potential humping from Liverpool) then it may well be he will be sacked.

From what I have read NO ONE on here wants that or is calling for it.
The manner of performances, coupled with results recently will have worried the owners though.

Let’s hope for a massive response from the team over next couple of games then January strengthening in whatever way possible.

16 hours ago, Dokko said:

All I've said all along is if he loses against Sunderland, then he should go.

Why would you make such a huge decision based on the result of one game? Doesn’t make any sense and it’s not the way to build a club. It’s the sort of small time move the mackems have been making for decades and for which we’ve rightly mocked them. 

He won’t lose his job based on the Sunderland game. Nor will it buy him more time either if he’s on the ropes. The only thing he’ll be measured on IMO is league results. And those will probably get worse before we’ll have a turnaround. There’s no denying we’re in a sticky situation though - this is more than “a few bad results” at this point. Given time though Eddie will fix this and have us firing on all cylinders again. 

We’ve had countless managers who’ve gone on poor runs and you know it’s not going to get better, partly because the quality of their football has always been poor or because they have no willingness to improve themselves. Howe is the polar opposite of this, he’s obsessed with improving and being the best he can be. He’s also shown he can get us playing fantastic football. 

Looking forward to him turning this around, I hope we see the players really dig in for him despite their confidence being low 

I don't think the Sunderland game should have any huge bearing on the direction of travel regarding Eddie either way, but I do also think it's very easy to say that now.

For those who live and work in the NE it'll be a fucking nightmare if we lose to them regardless of the score, how we play on the day or whether we get gubbed by the ref. It's one of those games we just need to win regardless of anything else & at the minute we can hardly buy a win, barring 70 mins versus ten men the other week.

What I'm trying to say is we shouldn't make a knee jerk if we lose the derby & I don't think the club will either, but those downplaying it now may feel a lot different if we do indeed get beat on the day.

25 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Im Not having a go for him trying to win cup games. I’m criticising his approach to keeping players fit and sharp. He could’ve rested players in the CL or league instead. He didn’t do that either. He has tried to tinker with our press, especially away from home - but that hasn’t worked at all.

Btw I love his winning mentality. But he’s been a bit naive imo. 

I wasn’t referencing you having a go at him trying to win cup games, you had quoted my original post, another member said he should have basically sacked off the cup. That’s what my original comment was aimed at.

43 minutes ago, duo said:

Well said and yeah Jan is important. They know the squad is on its arse and he’s been struggling. If ever we needed some new players, it’s now 

I think we’ll massively benefit from the fixtures slowing down in January. Seems as if the squad have just been doing recovery sessions inbetween games and not working on shape, Howe said as much himself after the game yesterday. 

34 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

It’ll depend how they can structure deals, if a club wants 50 million upfront then I think that’ll rule us out. 

Not how FFP works, unfortunately.  Staggered payments don’t stop the full value of the transfer being counted in that financial year. 

45 minutes ago, duo said:

This is mental.

37 minutes ago, clintdempsey said:

If we were to miss out on Europe altogether at the end of the season surely that can’t be seen as progress. I’d say that we need Europe to satisfy the owners and to show the wider football world that we are indeed here to stay. If we’d fall away and finish 10th-14th there will be issues legitimizing “the project” (as 🤢 as that sounds).

There will also be financial ramifications as a result of that which won’t help us at all in the coming windows. Our sponsorship deals are probably (as they should be) incentivized and we’d probably have to sell one or two of our crown jewels to give us some room for the much needed signings of the required quality.

On the other hand - Eddie has shown before that he’s more than capable of constructing a team from rubble. So were he to get the chance to rebuild he’ll have us up chasing the Top 4 again. He’d definitely deserve that for me at least. As piss poor as the last few weeks have been. 

I'd guess the owners are clever enough to look at context, why are we on the run we are on etc and then to see what happens when we don't have so many players missing.

Regardless of what happens in January I'd doubt Eddie's place is under too much threat and if they were to think it why rush in January, better to wait until the end of the season.

Not an advocate of sacking him - let him learn from this season - this season he’s been on secondment - this is what we want our future to be, can you cope with the demands Eddie? Let him go away, learn from it and come back a more rounded and battle hardened manager