Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

You’d think there’d be a buyer for him somewhere at the lower end of PL / top end of championship. The point is that we’ve prioritised his wants over our needs, which I think isn’t a sensible move.

Maybe not in the short term but I'd guess they are playing a longer game and building tge perception  of the club within the game. Also they may not have wanted him triggering a new contract of which we dont know the terms.

2 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

You’d think there’d be a buyer for him somewhere at the lower end of PL / top end of championship. The point is that we’ve prioritised his wants over our needs, which I think isn’t a sensible move.

Man City literally do the exact same thing, and it's served them well.

Sometimes the right thing to do is to treat a player with respect and not get in the way of someone who wanted out for their own future security. Given how much the club seem to focus on unity and being a tight knit family, it's understandable why they made the decision.

1 hour ago, madras said:

Would Forest have wanted him in the Summer ?

A 2 or 3 year contract suggests yes, but I can’t predict the future so who knows. Chances are some premier league team would see value in him though. He’s played in the league consistently since the days before Man City had won a single title. That pedigree would not be without admirers

2 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Aye, do one :lol:

'wrong again'... condescending arsehole. 

I'm well aware he can make mistakes and isn't above criticism.

As much as people are trying to defend him, you're going the opposite direction to pick faults. 

Cool - so, tit for tat, I’ll call you a thick arsehole. 

I’ve said repeatedly over the last few pages that he has been brilliant and this is the first mistake I’ve detected. I don’t think it’s picking faults: our squad is too thin to sustain what we’re doing, so selling an established member of it without replacement makes the squad yet thinner. I’m not sure how that’s picking faults - if anything it’s staying the fucking obvious. 

1 minute ago, 54 said:

Sometimes the right thing to do is to treat a player with respect and not get in the way of someone who wanted out for their own future security. Given how much the club seem to focus on unity and being a tight knit family, it's understandable why they made the decision.

These are good counters. It comes down to what you want to prioritise, in my view. I think the priority for me is results, but that’s my opinion. I think they’ve been caught between a “nice to do” and a “harsh but sensible”, and they went with “nice to do”. 

Our owners clearly see this as a long term sustainable project. We should also treat it the same. I would love for us to get Champions League football well ahead of any reasonable timeline anyone put on it at the end of the season. It would allow us to potentially attract a level of player that would never dream of coming to Newcastle otherwise. But as the team/bench showed us yesterday we are ill prepared to sustain league, 2 X domestic cups and a european adventure next season. Major surgery on the squad is required and that scares the shit out of me. I hope the people in charge of this including Eddie can get it right.

Allowing Shelvey to leave wasn't the best decision for the club but it was the right thing to do. Akin to the way we let Gavin Peacock leave all those years ago. If we "fail" to get top four I'll be disappointed, of course but it's just the start for this magnificent club

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

Cool - so, tit for tat, I’ll call you a thick arsehole. 

I’ve said repeatedly over the last few pages that he has been brilliant and this is the first mistake I’ve detected. I don’t think it’s picking faults: our squad is too thin to sustain what we’re doing, so selling an established member of it without replacement makes the squad yet thinner. I’m not sure how that’s picking faults - if anything it’s staying the fucking obvious. 

You said it’s his first mistake. He wanted him to stay, how’s it his mistake that the club sold him?

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

Sure, but their squad is deep. They’ve 2 class players for every position, whatever system they want to roll with. With Shelvey I think we had 14/15. Look at the bench yesterday - the only viable option to change a game for the better was Gordon. Murphy gets minutes every game and is largely derided on this forum as not good enough. I share that view.

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

You said it’s his first mistake. He wanted him to stay, how’s it his mistake that the club sold him?

Christ on a bicycle. Read the story: Howe said no at first and then the next day agreed. He has publicly said it’s a gamble but he agreed to allow it considering all the circumstances. Howe has clearly been a deciding factor in that move happening. 

3 minutes ago, Nepharite said:

Our owners clearly see this as a long term sustainable project. We should also treat it the same. I would love for us to get Champions League football well ahead of any reasonable timeline anyone put on it at the end of the season. It would allow us to potentially attract a level of player that would never dream of coming to Newcastle otherwise. But as the team/bench showed us yesterday we are ill prepared to sustain league, 2 X domestic cups and a european adventure next season. Major surgery on the squad is required and that scares the shit out of me. I hope the people in charge of this including Eddie can get it right.

Allowing Shelvey to leave wasn't the best decision for the club but it was the right thing to do. Akin to the way we let Gavin Peacock leave all those years ago. If we "fail" to get top four I'll be disappointed, of course but it's just the start for this magnificent club

Good post, I agree with it. 

Shelvey would have been expendable in the summer once replaced. I understand why it makes some sense to dispense now when the offer is there and he indicates he’s interested, but to me it makes more sense to protect the club’s interests in the first instance. 

Guest reefatoon
Just now, Theregulars said:

Christ on a bicycle. Read the story: Howe said no at first and then the next day agreed. He has publicly said it’s a gamble but he agreed to allow it considering all the circumstances. Howe has clearly been a deciding factor in that move happening. 

Howe also wanted another player in but we didn’t get him. Is that his second mistake? Or was it more a case we couldn’t find what we wanted/needed. Howe looks disappointed at not being able to strengthen that area and he has stated the need to strengthen there. This isn’t Howes mistake like. You just need to cool your jets a little, you are getting in a right tiz because people are not agreeing with you. 

6 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Howe also wanted another player in but we didn’t get him. Is that his second mistake? Or was it more a case we couldn’t find what we wanted/needed. Howe looks disappointed at not being able to strengthen that area and he has stated the need to strengthen there. This isn’t Howes mistake like. You just need to cool your jets a little, you are getting in a right tiz because people are not agreeing with you. 

I’m really not - again, you’re putting that onto me. I’m sat here, very calm, wasting time until the football starts. 

It’s a good question. I don’t know about the prospective replacement and what was discussed, because nothing was reported in detail. On the Shelvey issue, Howe is on record saying he greenlit it and thinks it’s a gamble. The fact that it gave us a few days to find a replacement also makes the sale a mistake in my view. I think not replacing him is a mistake, but I don’t know who is to blame for that. 

I’d have said to Shelvey “yes, you can leave if we find a replacement in time. Otherwise, unfortunately we do need you to stay as the squad is shallow and we lack any creativity from central midfield without Bruno”, or words to that effect. He’d have been very well compensated for it financially, so I don’t think the moral argument of giving him his wish supersedes our needs as a club. 

Edited by Theregulars

Guest reefatoon
3 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I’m really not - again, you’re putting that onto me. I’m sat here, very calm, wasting time until the football starts. 

It’s a good question. I don’t know about the prospective replacement and what was discussed, because nothing was reported in detail. On the Shelvey issue, Howe is on record saying he greenlit it and thinks it’s a gamble. The fact that it gave us a few days to find a replacement also makes the sale a mistake in my view. I think not replacing him is a mistake, but I don’t know who is to blame for that. 

I’d have said to Shelvey “yes, you can leave if we find a replacement in time. Otherwise, unfortunately we do need you to stay as the squad is shallow and we lack any creativity from central midfield without Bruno”, or words to that effect. He’d have been very well compensated for it financially, so I don’t think the moral argument of giving him his wish supersedes our needs as a club. 

I agree that overall we were in need of a midfielder before selling Shelvey, then letting him leave so late where we had no time to get the right person in was not great. But I don’t think I can blame Eddie Howe for that or say that it is his mistake. I think the deal looked too tempting to the people above, as Shelvey would have left for nothing in the summer anyway. It’s a huge gamble, but I also like that we are not going to stray from our set vision too. 

Just now, reefatoon said:

I agree that overall we were in need of a midfielder before selling Shelvey, then letting him leave so late where we had no time to get the right person in was not great. But I don’t think I can blame Eddie Howe for that or say that it is his mistake. I think the deal looked too tempting to the people above, as Shelvey would have left for nothing in the summer anyway. It’s a huge gamble, but I also like that we are not going to stray from our set vision too. 

I suppose we won’t know until season’s end, really. Hopefully we never get exposed and the gamble “pays off” if we finish in Europe any which way (which I still think would be an almighty achievement, albeit understandably anti-climactic if 6th/7th).

2 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I suppose we won’t know until season’s end, really. Hopefully we never get exposed and the gamble “pays off” if we finish in Europe any which way (which I still think would be an almighty achievement, albeit understandably anti-climactic if 6th/7th).

We know now. Even if a gamble pays off, there’s still the risk that’s been undertaken. I see no need to make this risk, unless the gains in the summer are guaranteed to be massive.

If next September we’re sat having signed Rice and Bellingham I’ll say fair play risking only achieving Europa Conference for a year was worth it. (I appreciate that level of player is unrealistic but it illustrates the point that even gambles that pay off are not truly successful until you can see what you win on the other side)

Guest reefatoon
11 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

We just need to try and make sure Bruno stays fit and available for the rest of the season. We will be in those European places if we do. The stats with and without him speak volumes of how important he is to us and how much better we are as a team with him playing. 

with Bruno: played 17, W10, D7, L0

without: played 5, W0, D4, L1

Edited by reefatoon

14 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

This is not true. 

exactly.

because even if he got a one year extension, we wouldnt have played him and he'd have been in the same boat he was now and wanted to leave.

he asked to leave so he could play and get the security of more than a 12 month extension.

49 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Yeah, I really think we need to wait to see how the rest of the season plays out. All this talk of a mistake at this point is just silly.

arsenal went through the same shit last season when they blew the champions league spot.

stuck at it. and a couple of decent signings later....

i'm used to us falling away - we did under KK and SBR , so to me its a bit meh. annoying, but nowt new.

i just love the feeling emotion for my club again.

Edited by huss9

2 hours ago, Bimpy474 said:

We should have kept him, of course that's correct, looking at our CM numbers.

However Eddie decided Shelvey's career and future were more important. I disagree with Eddie on the decision, but admire he's not so cold hearted to keep a player against their wishes.

I think there's also a question over how it would have gone with Shelvey if we'd forced him to stay. He means well enough, but he's not known for being super mature or wise. It's conceivable he'd have developed booboo face, set the wrong tone in the dressing room and taken away more than he added, especially if his personal habits slipped.

One of our most valuable assets is having a club full of people who want to be here more than anywhere, we should try and hold onto that wherever possible.