Newcastle-Online (website)

Yorkie

Just now, ManDoon said:

Aye you’ll have seen it with your lad as well, there’s a lot of good footballers kicking around the north east,  I think a lot could have better careers but get stuck in that academy system. 

Definately, I know loads of kids who went into academies, and it kind of ruined them, thankfully a lot are still playing for the likes of Gateshead or Ashington at a decent level for example. 

I’ve decided with my boy he can do the academy stuff in terms of training, but I don’t or wouldn’t want him signing for one of them permanently at this age (under 8s), again if he’s good enough at 15-18 he’ll get a chance and if not, well he will have had an amazing time with his mates through the age groups outside of academy football and will be in great shape fitness wise when he’s older, developed long term friendships for life and hopefully a love for the game that never leaves him. 

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah it’s really sad imo, lot of talented kids are just falling through the cracks because the system needs a total overhaul and redevelopment 

Couldn’t agree more, would love to see some well researched/written articles on the new website covering this, I’m sure a few on here were at academies and I’m sure I could get some quotes and such from lots of people to go towards an article/articles.

Edited by HTT II

38 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’ve decided with my boy he can do the academy stuff in terms of training, but I don’t or wouldn’t want him signing for one of them permanently at this age (under 8s), again if he’s good enough at 15-18 he’ll get a chance and if not, well he will have had an amazing time with his mates through the age groups outside of academy football and will be in great shape fitness wise when he’s older, developed long term friendships for life and hopefully a love for the game that never leaves him. 

Correct decision. I’ve seen so many lads be built up only to be knocked down when they’re 18.

They stop studying at school, Chuck all their eggs in the football basket and if it doesn’t pay off. They’re fucked.

1 minute ago, TheGuv said:

Correct decision. I’ve seen so many lads be built up only to be knocked down when they’re 18.

They stop studying at school, Chuck all their eggs in the football basket and if it doesn’t pay off. They’re fucked.

Aye I know a few too, some even turning to crime and drugs because they had nowt without football. There is a dark side to our game and it needs changed and looked into. I’d make it illegal for academies to sign kids until they are 16, train and coach them and give them games aye, but signing 7, 8 and 9 year olds? Crazy!

I think it might have been last year where they were looking at the mental health of young footballers in the aftermath or even through the season at the decision stage where they either get offered a professional contract or released. I mean even Longstaff for example who did an interview where he spoke about feeling low around the time he was injured and out of the team. The pressure of the game might start at 8 year old for some as they battle each year to stay in the system and as others have mentioned most likely be released!

3 hours ago, Decky said:

12 hours ago, Tsunami said:

If an N-O letter goes to the club can one of the suggestions be that this bastardised version of the Blaydon Races is binned please? Preferably with all existing copies erased from existence/sent to the crem.