How would you rank the current PL Managers?

2 hours ago, madras said:

Paragraphs 1 and 2. That becomes a damn sight easier when you can blow everyone out the water financially (see Mourinho). There's always a question mark over managers who've always been able to dominate the transfer market. And he's improved players, Lo a miracle !, I doubt there's enough bandwidth to example other managers who've done that.

Paragraph 3......wtf ? He invented playing out from the back ?

Not team in England focused on playing from the back before Pep came. I remember specifically the commentators saying it wouldn’t work when Claudio Bravo was clowning around trying to play 1-2’s with Mangala. 

Surely you can’t deny that?

2 hours ago, Cronky said:

I think you've forgotten what it's like to struggle! :laugh:

I checked, and in the four seasons before the one that you named, you came first twice, and second twice. That's not exactly taking over a shitshow. The players that you've named are only poor in comparison to the ones that Pep brought in - as you acknowledge, at considerable expense. And in Rodri's case, it's hard to believe that Pep decided to pay a club record £60m for an 'absolute donkey'.

But as I said, he has transformed football, and he could hardly do better than what he has achieved at City - 5 titles in 6 seasons speaks for itself. 

Don't forget Pep paid £50m for Ben Mendy. £43m for Phillips. £50m for Nunes…. Yes, it’s not hard to believe Pep can pay a lot for a donkey.

Edited by Mase

4 minutes ago, Mase said:

Not team in England focused on playing from the back before Pep came. I remember specifically the commentators saying it wouldn’t work when Claudio Bravo was clowning around trying to play 1-2’s with Mangala. 

So it's gone from him inventing to being the first over here to try it. Again it's a lot easier to do it when you can bully the transfer market to get the players you want. 

7 minutes ago, Mase said:

Don't forget Pep paid £50m for Ben Mendy. £43m for Phillips. £50m for Nunes…. Yes, it’s not hard to believe Pep can pay a lot for a donkey.

Thats on Tixi though

8 minutes ago, Mase said:

Not many clubs can "afford" to waste that much and get away with it. You'd have to say he was lucky to be in a position to waste so much but still be able to keep going until he got the right ones in, no ?

7 minutes ago, madras said:

Not many clubs can "afford" to waste that much and get away with it. You'd have to say he was lucky to be in a position to waste so much but still be able to keep going until he got the right ones in, no ?

Not really. Look at what ETH has wasted at United. Or Poch at Chelsea. But ultimately this is a thread about Managers, not what clubs can or cannot afford. Even as a City fan I’m not Pep’s biggest fan, he’s said some things to annoy me and I think he should have done better with some of the kids that have come through and been moved on. But I’d say, easily, he’s completely changed the game in England for years. 

12 minutes ago, TRC said:

Thats on Tixi though

I get what you mean but I’d argue all three were Pep’s signings. Hes been watching Nunes since Sporting - made a comment back then how good he was. Phillips was recommended to him by Bielsa - one of Pep’s heroes. Mendy we bought after he had a good game against us for Monaco - I’d argue he was a Pep signing. 

3 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Pep is the best manager of all time imo. 

Put it this way, Ferguson is currently thought of as the all time greatest in England, and possibly rightly so. Excellent manager over the years. But when you look at his time, he bought some duffers - Veron, Djemba-Djemba, Bebe (what was that transfer all about?!), Anderson, the list of 4 or 5 keepers after Schemichael, etc - just like all top managers have done.
And did he change the way football was played? He stuck with 4-4-2 and had two decent wingers whacking the ball into the box for the strikers. 

If a team challenged them then he went and bought their best player (as shown when he took Cole from yous). If there was an up and coming young kid then Man United got them without being challenged (Keane, Rooney). I’d argue Pep doesn’t have that luxury because there’s four or five clubs that the best players could go to in England now. 

Obviously it’s all opinions and I’ve got a dog in the fight so I’d have to back Pep

19 minutes ago, Mase said:

Put it this way, Ferguson is currently thought of as the all time greatest in England, and possibly rightly so. Excellent manager over the years. But when you look at his time, he bought some duffers - Veron, Djemba-Djemba, Bebe (what was that transfer all about?!), Anderson, the list of 4 or 5 keepers after Schemichael, etc - just like all top managers have done.
And did he change the way football was played? He stuck with 4-4-2 and had two decent wingers whacking the ball into the box for the strikers. 

If a team challenged them then he went and bought their best player (as shown when he took Cole from yous). If there was an up and coming young kid then Man United got them without being challenged (Keane, Rooney). I’d argue Pep doesn’t have that luxury because there’s four or five clubs that the best players could go to in England now. 

Obviously it’s all opinions and I’ve got a dog in the fight so I’d have to back Pep

The PL is miles harder now than it was when Ferguson was at his peak. Liverpool finished on 97 points and didnt win the league. The PL probably has 3 of the best 4 teams in the world in it right now.

30 minutes ago, Mase said:

Not really. Look at what ETH has wasted at United. Or Poch at Chelsea. But ultimately this is a thread about Managers, not what clubs can or cannot afford. Even as a City fan I’m not Pep’s biggest fan, he’s said some things to annoy me and I think he should have done better with some of the kids that have come through and been moved on. But I’d say, easily, he’s completely changed the game in England for years. 

Makes you wonder why he bothered assembling one of the most expensive squad ever if it makes little difference (that the Man Utd squad was more expensive says as much about their managers than any other club). Being able to spend like that doesn't guarantee success...... makes it much more likely though.

27 minutes ago, madras said:

Makes you wonder why he bothered assembling one of the most expensive squad ever if it makes little difference (that the Man Utd squad was more expensive says as much about their managers than any other club). Being able to spend like that doesn't guarantee success...... makes it much more likely though.

Very true

4 hours ago, Mase said:

Swansea were doing it under Rodgers, ironically because they were copying Pep's Barca side.

Is that why you specified England and not the league? :lol:

Edited by Kid Icarus