How would you rank the current PL Managers?

Just now, STM said:

Yes but do you completely disregard what happened in between? That's why it's so tricky.

I like Moyes, he's actually grown on me as a bloke and I've seen some of his coaching videos online, which are decent.

I do think there is a ceiling to his style of football though.

I think you kind of have to to an extent, he's performed well consistently enough for us to be able to say that he's definitely got something. Maybe other managers are like that too where they just need the right environment.

I can't remember a time where the PL has been as stacked in terms of top quality and promising managers as there is today. Out of the current managers, if Howe was to spontaneously combust this evening, I wouldn't mind any of the current ones to replace him bar Gerrard, Lampart and Lage.

Edited by Conjo

Pep

Klopp

---

Conte

---

Tuchel

Howe

Potter

Arteta

Rodgers

---

Ten Haag 

Moyes

Viera

---

March

Frank

Lage

---

Hassenhuttl

Silva

Cooper

Gerrard

Lampard

Something like that, where managers in the same tier are fairly interchangeable, and arguably the top of one compared to the bottom of another too. 

Would say that I rate every one to some extent down to the bottom tier, and with EtH and Cooper I simply don't know anywhere enough about to rate, that's why they are both relatively far down. 

Surprised Thomas Frank doesn't get more love from the media etc. Promoted Brentford with one of the lowest budgets in the championship the season after losing his best players in Watkins and Benrahma. Personally, I though they were relegation fodder last season in the PL but somehow finished in 13th and they seem to steer clear of a second season syndrome this season as well. 

1. Guardiola
  2. Conte
  3. Klopp 
  4. Howe
  5. Potter
  6. Tuchel
  7. Moyes
  8. Ten Hag
  9. Rodgers
  10. Vieira
  11. Frank
  12. Silva
  13. Arteta
  14. Hassenhutl
  15. Marsch 
  16. Lage 
  17. Lampard
  18. Cooper
  19. Gerrard

Haven’t referred to my previous rankings, but I think that Howe, Conte, Potter, Moyes, Frank, and Lampard have gone up in my estimation. Tuchel, Arteta, and Gerrard have gone down.  Yeah, and I still rate Vieira even though Palace throw away a lot of points late.

I suspect that Hassenhutl is better than I thought. Looking at this now, I think I have Arteta too high. 

Edited by gazza ladra

7 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

1. Guardiola
  2. Conte
  3. Klopp 
  4. Howe
  5. Potter
  6. Tuchel
  7. Moyes
  8. Ten Hag
  9. Rodgers
  10. Vieira
  11. Frank
  12. Silva
  13. Arteta
  14. Hassenhutl
  15. Marsch 
  16. Lage 
  17. Lampard
  18. Cooper
  19. Gerrard

I think this is fairly accurate. Arteta a bit higher and Tuchel as number four still. I also prefer Klopp over Conte, but could see the case for either. Both of them world class managers, but the former is better for building a club, while Conte is more immediate success and titles with huge investments.  

On 08/11/2021 at 12:01, Joey47 said:

They play some fantastic football, they create a lot of chances they just don't have a clinical striker to put them away. 

Regarding net spend, that's fair enough but their squad is still not great, they've come up from the championship and their squad needed/needs a lot of investment.

Just reading back on this thread and there's some horrible takes back there, especially the people who were rating OGS above Potter [emoji38]

9 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Just reading back on this thread and there's some horrible takes back there, especially the people who were rating OGS above Potter [emoji38]

Potter finished 16th and 9th. Ole took Man United from 6th to 3rd to 2nd. Hardly a mental take. If Potter has another strong season with Brighton then we can see.

What is mental is people now putting Howe above managers who have won leagues and reached the latter stages of the Champions League. :lol: I like Howe, but he has spent £200m and has 7 points from 6 games. Lets just wait before going a little crazy. 

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

Potter finished 16th and 9th. Ole took Man United from 6th to 3rd to 2nd. Hardly a mental take. If Potter has another strong season with Brighton then we can see.

What is mental is people now putting Howe above managers who have won leagues and reached the latter stages of the Champions League. :lol: I like Howe, but he has spent £200m and has 7 points from 6 games. Lets just wait before going a little crazy. 

Bias acknowledged, but I wouldn’t currently swap him for any of the above. Not based on what they’ve achieved thus far, but more to do with his level headedness, good values, the team spirit and connection with the fan base he has recreated, and what I think he is capable of.

Doesn’t hurt than for the last 19 games of last season his team (who admittedly had January additions—some not featuring much due to injury) returned an incredible points total: 2.05 pts per game. We haven’t seen that kind of consistent run here in decades. Only Liverpool and Man City did (slightly) better.  

I know I have given him a bit of ‘settling-in’/influencing time in this stat, but it is still quite mind blowing that a team (majority of) who were clearly relegation fodder and had averaged 0.58 pts per game for the first 19, could pull out this kind of run. That has to evidence of great management. 

2 hours ago, Froggy said:

You think Ole would do a better job at Chelsea than Potter?

18 minutes ago, wiseman said:

Can imagine Chelsea will go for Potter, whether that's a good move or not, who knows. Wouldn't be surprised if Brighton then go for Ange at celtic,  really feel like he will be in the premier league fairly soon

Think he’d be a good move for them if they’re willing to give him time. Can’t see that happening though and think he should stay away. 

43 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Doesn’t hurt than for the last 19 games of last season his team (who admittedly had January additions—some not featuring much due to injury) returned an incredible points total: 2.05 pts per game. We haven’t seen that kind of consistent run here in decades. Only Liverpool and Man City did (slightly) better.  

Your club was rotten from top to bottom under Ashley's ownership. The morale boost with the takeover and new manager would have been insane. This season will be more of a test. Just think it's mad people are saying Howe is a better manager than managers with solid European pedigree.

21 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

You think Ole would do a better job at Chelsea than Potter?

Probably not but jury is out. I'd be interested to see how Potter does under that sort of pressure.

Guardiola

Klopp 

Howe

Potter

Conte

Ten Hag

Rodgers

Moyes

Frank

Tuchel

Vieira

Hassenhutl 

Marsch 

Arteta

Cooper

Lampard

Gerrard

Left out Lage and Silva as I know fuckall about them.

Not a big fan of Conte as a medium or long term solution. Certainly with a very good team, some key demanded additions he can move a team up that last (admittedly difficult) step, but the parameters under which he demands to operate mark him down in my book as a short-term option for an already well-positioned team. Maybe he's earned that right.

Started following BvB during the @shley years so have seen the Tuchel story before and moved him down quite a bit more than most. Good at improving a sloppy, directionless side, but once the players understand the system, his micromanagement and demands for complete compliance squeeze the life out of the team so that the players resent him, make stupid mistakes and the owners hate the results. I'm still angry about some of the subs he made at BvB. BvB also = soft spot for Klopp, though his recent antics have really gotten on my tits.

Bit of a pointless list tbf because you can't compare apples with pears. 

Not being contrarian for the sake of it, tho I can be, but Guardiola and Klopp have had easy rides in their respective careers. 

Even Klopp at Mainz. Conte, Ten Hag, even Arteta all been dealt decent hands. 

For the record, I appreciate some "Top" managers go to "top" clubs and fuck it up but none can be compared to a manager building and being successful at any of the less affluent clubs

Edited by Groundhog63
Grammer/spelling/predictive fuckery

27 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Bit of a pointless list tbf because you can't compare apples with pears. 

Not being contrarian for the sake of it, tho I can be, but Guardiola and Klopp have had easy rides in their respective careers. 

Even Klopp at Mainz. Conte, Ten Hag, even Arteta all been dealt decent hands. 

For the record, I appreciate some "Top" managers go to "top" clubs and fuck it up but none can be compared to a manager building and being successful at any of the less affluent clubs

Pep fair enough, but I think it's very harsh to say Klopp has had an easy ride. He has done a brilliant job at every club he's been at and none of them were in a good position when he took over.

• 1 year later...

Ranking the current Premier League managers, assuming Eddie Howe's confirmation, would place Pep Guardiola at the top followed by Jurgen Klopp, Antonio Conte, Thomas Tuchel, Rafa Benitez, Brendan Rodgers, Marcelo Bielsa, David Moyes, Graham Potter, Eddie Howe, Mikel Arteta, Sean Dyche, Ralph Hasenhuttl, Claudio Ranieri, Thomas Frank, Bruno Lage, Patrick Vieira, and finally, OGS. The depth of managerial talent in the league is notable, with even the lower-ranked managers showing promise, while Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's success at Manchester United might not translate as well to other teams in the league.