Newcastle United Women - Champions and Promoted

toontownman

4 hours ago, Cclay said:

Andy Cook has left to become head coach at Norwich City Women, continuing the need to rebuild. Good luck to him. He seemed like a positive influence.

That's a shame. He was definitely a positive addition but adding a more experienced coach or two with a resume coaching at the top flight is probably also needed at this point.

It's a still a big adventure for Becky and most of the players but it's getting real now. They need supports and experience around them to help them survive and thrive.

1 minute ago, Magpie said:

Lucy Bronze leaving Barcelona.

Highly unlikely I know (almost certainly impossible) but what a statement it would be.

Oh my God the dream. I might finally get my other half to support newcastle! 

Ha, no way on this earth she'll come to us, even if she was ready to take a backwards step!

She'll either go to the states, or she'll end up at a team with a realistic chance of seriously competing for the champions league. Chelsea or Bayern probably if she stays in Europe.

6 minutes ago, Magpie said:

Reading have withdrawn from the championship

Yeah I just saw that. I wonder if that means they will have no relegation, play with a team less, or promote another team?

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Yeah I just saw that. I wonder if that means they will have no relegation, play with a team less, or promote another team?

Maybe the team who finished 3rd bottom come back up?

9 minutes ago, RobS said:

helpful, so brief is don't come last and allow us time to stabilise and build :)

I'd agree the aim will be to consolidate. A third consecutive promotion may be a step too far. That said, the ambition will be the WSL and I'd guess last place will be out of consideration if previous closed-season transfers / public statements are anything to go by. It will definately be a step up, though.

Edited by Cclay

Bit of a shame they couldn't have promoted either Hashtag or Burnley (could have done a regional playoff like they used to have between the respective N and S champs), or just given Lewes a reprieve. 2 league games less now, 20 in total, and 4 of those will be local derbies. If the League Cup is the same format as last season then it should be an extra 3 or 4 games (minimum) there, plus however far you get in the FA Cup, but it's probably looking at just 25/26 matches in total, whereas last season they had 32 by reaching the cup final, so it's likely going to be hard to keep more happy in terms of minutes.

Edited by Paullow

It seems really short sighted to leave it at 11 teams, means someone won't play each week which isn't great for momentum!

On a seperate note, im wondering if the reason we've not heard anything regarding new signings is because they were waiting to get this stupid end of June deadline out the way, and now we can all move forward with hopefully some positive news! Wouldn't have been a great look announcing a load of new players for the womens team, whilst announcing the sale of Bruno/Isak if it come to that!