Newcastle United Women - Champions and Promoted

toontownman

36 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Aye, I'm not actively against Newcastle doing it for exactly that reason (everybody else with any success is doing the same). It just feels a bit hollower than I thought it would. 

I suppose the bigger part of me does want to see how Tyler Dodds and Hannah Greenwood and the like get on at the next level rather than just being replaced with known quantities who are ready to go, even at the expense of progression. They'll still be my team, this is where I was born after all, but the prospect of this year's lasses who have played so well and steamrollered all (well, most) comers being broken up and moved on without kicking a ball is a miserable one.

If they're good enough they will, if not they will be moved on. They will have a pick of clubs to go to though I would imagine. The standard gets a lot higher each level you move up to, so to compete you need a higher standard of player. It's the way of football and whilst some teams can't afford to improve their squad in a big way, clubs with money and ambition (like us now), will always look to improve their playing squad in every possible way they can. I get the sentiment and I would love the lasses there currently to be at the level to challenge. Unfortunately though there are a few who just aren't.

Yeah, I understand of course that it was always going to happen and I hope they go on to be absolute world beaters. I'm sure they will :)

Edited by OpenC

It's going to be interesting how she develops the team. We have played a high line back 3, in a 343 and the defence has had very little to deal with due to the front pressure and midfield block. We may have to go to a more rigid back 4 and play 433. I don't go with the massive changes required thought. I can see 4 or 5 coming in but not all starters. I expect if going 433 that the defence will be Watts , Bedeau, Potts and Cataldo. Boddy , Kelly and Stobbs in midfield with Lumsden and Barker as 2 of the front 3. That just leaves 2 starters and squad enhancers required. I will be very disappointed if 6-8 starters are brought in this summer. Palace have dropped 18 points to win the league so I hope we give them a chance and see the league at Christmas and make a transfer push then if required. We are better than most think and Becky Langley is too.

Yeah that's exactly my take :thup: they've absolutely crushed this league, they deserve a shot at it imo.

Concern is that they will see the inevitable writing on the wall regarding some sort of ffp restrictions and will want to get the final promotion asap to avoid that.

I don't think ffp will come in to it. We are averaging 10 times the attendances that half the championship are getting and only the top 4 or 5 in the WSL can match or beat our crowd levels. I think this season we will grow from 3k to 5/6k averages and will only be behind Arsenal in crowd level averages by the time we make the WSL. There is no other club that can enhance the WSL like we can and the WSL will want us to be up there. Every club in the WSL has to have cash put in to survive so they can't bring ffp in until they are self sufficient. The mens game wouldn't dare put the women's costs in to current PSR as it would shut down the WSL. 

The lasses will get there in a couple of years without immediate wholesale changes. I hope the club will be happy with just evolving. I know the fans are.

11 hours ago, Iwantcurlyhair2 said:

I don't think ffp will come in to it. We are averaging 10 times the attendances that half the championship are getting and only the top 4 or 5 in the WSL can match or beat our crowd levels. I think this season we will grow from 3k to 5/6k averages and will only be behind Arsenal in crowd level averages by the time we make the WSL. There is no other club that can enhance the WSL like we can and the WSL will want us to be up there. Every club in the WSL has to have cash put in to survive so they can't bring ffp in until they are self sufficient. The mens game wouldn't dare put the women's costs in to current PSR as it would shut down the WSL. 

The lasses will get there in a couple of years without immediate wholesale changes. I hope the club will be happy with just evolving. I know the fans are.

The same fans that gladly accepted 10-12 new signings throughout this current season ,? pushing a lot of the other girls out that won tier 4 🤔😄

Ha, that’s football though , dog eat dog 

The best ones will survive

the rest will be shipped out eventually if not good enough 

That’s how it works.

i can see 8-10 departures and 4/5 coming in (as suggested above they may not be all instant starters but good enough to start/force way into the team)

It would be nice to see a lot of this seasons players get a good shot to show what they can do from the start (agreed) , but I would play Daisy at Right back instead of Watt

However I am always going to say that 😄

Current squad probably good enough for mid table 

I remember Sunderland give us a bit of  a runaround in pre season (beating us 4-2)  and they will probably finish 3rd ?

Full time helps though at Newcastle and we may see more improvement from current players next season.

Interesting summer ahead for sure.

30 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

The same fans that gladly accepted 10-12 new signings throughout this current season ,? pushing a lot of the other girls out that won tier 4 🤔😄

Ha, that’s football though , dog eat dog 

The best ones will survive

the rest will be shipped out eventually if not good enough 

That’s how it works.

i can see 8-10 departures and 4/5 coming in (as suggested above they may not be all instant starters but good enough to start/force way into the team)

It would be nice to see a lot of this seasons players get a good shot to show what they can do from the start (agreed) , but I would play Daisy at Right back instead of Watt

However I am always going to say that 😄

Current squad probably good enough for mid table 

I remember Sunderland give us a bit of  a runaround in pre season (beating us 4-2)  and they will probably finish 3rd ?

Full time helps though at Newcastle and we may see more improvement from current players next season.

Interesting summer ahead for sure.

I hope the owners have learned from the mistakes in the summer concerning the men's team. You need to bring in first team starters to take the next step. The players they replace will automatically become squad players, resulting in a much improved squad.

I don't see why they wouldn't push on with her until they have some reason not to.

I know it doesn't mean much, but I will say that in the interviews I've read with her she seems like an absolute killer. The exact kind of winning obsession you see in top coaches. There's no reason why she can't grow with the team and get to the top levels, especially bringing in talent around her.

Yea I don't think there are a huge number of coaches/managers in the women's game with a proven track record, so it would be crazy not to give her a chance! I'm assuming the guy we got from Forest was brought in to add that bit of experience.

Would be interesting to see if any of the WSL clubs would loan us some players, or if they'll be reluctant as they won't want us progressing too fast and mixing things up!

Read on twitter today that with Bristol City being relegated, the WSL is now full of clubs backed by Premier league teams for the first time!

For context though, Bristol City have been averaging home crowds of about 7k all season despite not winning a single game at home, and already committed to playing all their home games at ashton gate again. I would expect them to be favourites to win the championship next year and go straight back up!

I don't have any doubt that Becky Langley will be here for the long haul. I'm sure she has just turned 29 but I may be wrong on that one. She has been very fortunate that her role at the Uni included NUFC women part time before the takeover but you could argue not as fortunate as NUFC women having Becky Langley. She is very young for the position and in the last 3 years has finished second, followed by back to back promotions. This is her first full time role and only started for the club full time following the takeover. Having Andy Cook alongside has been a great addition and I think she worked as an intern for him at Forest. She is definitely cut from the same cloth as Eddie.

Can you imagine being in that position when the takeover happened? She must have been 24 or 25 when she took the Northumbria Uni job with the part time foundation role and potentially by the time she is 30 she could be a manager of a WSL team. Its just incredible. Good luck to her.

I have no doubt that she will continue to take the club forward. We may have two future England managers currently at Newcastle.